Happy Environmental Thursday!
– We’re starting here because YOU HAVE UNTIL 5:00 pm PST TODAY to get your comment in to bedevil the Alaska BLM over the administration’s lease sale of land in the Arctic National Wilderness Refuge. WHY ARE WE SELLING OFF LAND TO OIL COMPANIES THAT HAS “WILDERNESS REFUGE” in the title? We’ve created a smorgasbord of phrases for you to mix and match into a reasonably coherent “I OBJECT!” comment. Trump has trashed our democracy. Please don’t let him destroy this amazing place without a fight.
– Email Newsom and spread the word to your social circle. Calculations have been made and we’re never going to get to a carbon-free 2045 unless we move up the switchover to 100% clean cars to 2030, NOT 2035. Plus, frontline communities that have disproportionately endured the harms of Big Oil for decades shouldn’t have to wait another 5 years for the first benefits of clean mobility and good-paying green jobs that this transition can bring. (https://indivisibleventura.org/2020/12/17/thurs-12-17-carbon-neutrality-by-2045-ca-has-to-move-faster/)
– Mark your calendar for a call a day to an oil company with possible designs on our Arctic National Wilderness Refuge. Today’s word is “CONOCOPHILLIPS”(https://indivisibleventura.org/2020/12/14/env-vent-calendar-for-the-arctic-this-week/)
– A moment of pure, unadulterated joy – President-elect Joe Biden has selected New Mexico Rep. Deb Haaland to serve as interior secretary. (https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/17/politics/deb-haaland-interior-secretary-biden/index.html)
EVENTS: (7:00 – 8:00 pm PST) ONLINE – “Defend your home! Know your rights!”RENTERS NEED TO KNOW THEIR RIGHTS! During the worst global health pandemic in our lifetime, working class people have been forced to balance their financial security with health concerns in order to stay housed. While some legal protections (eg. AB3088) were passed to safeguard renters from eviction, those protections are set to end in February of 2021. An eviction tsunami looms, and countless people will become homeless as a result. To avoid mass suffering, working class people need to stay housed. For that to happen, Join Ventura Tenants Union and Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment for a virtual tenants’ rights training on December 17th at 7pm, held in both Spanish and English. Register for the event here: https://bit.ly/3fYemgMFacebook link here: https://www.facebook.com/events/229384245203352/
There are record-shattering turnouts in Georgia. But do not be lulled by articles stating that GOP voters are too upset by Trump’s loss to show up at the polls, or by McConnell’s moaning from the sidelines. The GOP faithful never miss a vote and they’ll be there, with bells on (and guns, within 150 feet of polling places!) So sign up to help phonebank now!Our original post is found at (tinyurl.com/Antiracist-events-Ventura)
FEATURED ACTION FOR GEORGIA!– Don’t live in Georgia but want a meaningful (and Georgia-approved!) way to help? Join the VoteTripling.org Phone Crew to shift & confirm volunteers for our Georgia dem county parties and Indivisible volunteers. Provide your availability for call time below!(https://forms.gle/XkS4a5xnibAyV68L6)
CONTINUING ACTIONS FOR GEORGIA (See all at tinyurl.com/Antiracist-events-Ventura)“Phonebanking for introverts” resource is here. (https://indivisibleventura.org/phone-banking-for-the-rest-of-us/)- SURJ has some new phonebanks here. (https://secure.everyaction.com/p/B0EADoj3tUSMRLU13xT0-g2)- FLIP THE WEST is doing INSTAGRAM DM every Thursday (https://www.mobilize.us/flipthewest/event/364978/)- AAPI FLIP THE SENATE PHONEBANK w/AAPI Affinity Group. The fastest growing demographic in Georgia, there are nearly 250,000 Asian Americans and Pacific Islander (AAPIs) voters in the Peach State. Join us and AAPI affinity groups from across the nation to reach out to voters in the AAPI community and make sure they have a plan to vote! We will have phone bank links to call Chinese, Filipino, Taiwanese, Hmong, Iranian, Ismaili, Korean, Japanese, Muslim, Sikh, South Asian, and Vietnamese voters. (https://www.mobilize.us/crooked/event/366615/)
CIVIL RIGHTS ACTION
This seems simple – Make 5 calls to protect +20 kids and their families from being deported. An alert reader noted a typo on a phone number and a stuffed mailbox, so we went back and re-called every number to see what adjustments needed to be made. The USCIS agent’s mailbox is taking messages again. We’ve also adjusted the minimum script slightly to make our role in calling more clear to staffers.
Second time calling, we added more personal notes to the call. This is the holiday season. How can we send kids and their families back to a homeland so dangerous, they had to leave with what they could carry? Journalists are just starting to tabulate the murders of those who were sent back, those who couldn’t meet the Trump administration’s cruel new asylum requirements. The possible harm to these children who came to us for safety is a crime beyond measure. What kind of people are we?Scripts and contacts here: (https://indivisibleventura.org/2020/12/16/wed-12-16-biggest-gift-you-can-give-this-holiday-season-call-congress-to-stop-ice-from-deporting-detained-children/)
CONTINUING POLITICAL ACTIONS- COVID ASSISTANCE: UPDATE: The Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) announced they will use the power of a voting bloc to force extended UI benefits and $1200 cash assistance – to be included in the relief bill. Call your senators to push through the HEROES Act! The same GOP that gave $1.7 trillion in tax breaks to our richest, proposes crumbs for us and the state services our people need, and are willing to hold everything hostage to get COVID liability protection to corporations. (https://indivisibleventura.org/2020/11/30/mon-11-30-tell-the-senate-to-pass-the-heroes-act-now/)
– WRITE TO THOSE SEDITIOUS SCOUNDRELS who signed on to the criminal/Texas State AG’s lawsuit and tell them to resign. Pull out your patriotic or kitty-playing-with-yarn postcards and warm up your phone. Target those from your own state or try to get the whole collection. (https://indivisibleventura.org/2020/12/11/friday-12-11-fight-back-write-back-call-the-cowards-out/)
– DC STATEHOOD and BAD HOUSE RULES: Seriously, DC Statehood would be one of the most BLM-positive events that could happen. Action #1: Tell your representative to get rid of the “Motion to Recommit” and the “PayGo” rules. This sounds weird, but there’s a really great video to explain it and it’s surprisingly important. Action #2: Tell your legislators that it’s time for D.C. statehood. Seriously. Excellent VOX video lays it out, along with a written post from Indivisible. Post for both actions here: (https://indivisibleventura.org/2020/12/04/friday-action-wrap-up-d-c-statehood-and-house-rules/)
– KAMALA’S SENATE SEAT: KEEP CALLING!Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.) just urged Newsom to appoint a woman of color to Vice President-elect Kamala Harris’s Senate seat once she assumes the office in January. “We absolutely cannot go backwards.With the election of @KamalaHarris to VP-elect, @CAgovernor must prioritize this leadership, perspective & representation in the vacated U.S. Senate seat & appoint a Black woman.” https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/530259-pressley-urges-newsom-to-appoint-a-black-woman-to-harriss-seat. Pile on, people. Yeah, that’s how it works.
Action and script here. (https://indivisibleventura.org/2020/12/04/friday-action-wrap-up-d-c-statehood-and-house-rules/)Governor Gavin Newsom: (916) 445-2841 email: (https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov40mail/)There are also two connected petitions: Black Lives Matter: (https://blacklivesmatter.com/tell-gov-newsom-he-must-appoint-a-black-woman-to-the-senate/)Black to the Future: (https://black2thefuture.org/lets-go-forward-not-backwards/)
COVID INFORMATIONTwo of our great local doctors take time out to explain the vaccine and answer common questions, like “Do I still need to wear a mask after I get it?,” “Do I need to get the vaccine if I’ve already had COVID?” and “Can the vaccine give me COVID?” Please share with your social circles.Video link here: (https://youtu.be/2u5bjhobc4A)
Attachments areaPreview YouTube video VCMC Covid-19 Vaccine Q&A
CHARITABLE OPPORTUNITIES! We have a whole page of them, including food and toy dropoffs, for those in need or for those who can help. https://indivisibleventura.org/…/giving-and-receiving…/If we’ve missed one, please contact us at email@example.com – Put “CHARITY” in the subject line.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.