Hello Ventura Indivisians!
It’s Get Out the Vote time people! This is the time of year we’d be leading voter registrations, postcard parties, and door knocking. But, sadly, this is not a regular year. BUT, we’ve adapted. Let’s Get Out the Vote!
What can I do now? You’ve registered to vote. Your friends are all registered. You’ve checked that Grandma is still on the rolls. Now what?
Click here for opportunities to help Get Out the Vote!
POSTCARDS–Even though we can’t meet in person, you can still write postcards to voters – instructions here!
After your calls to action – (WAY) MORE events and resources!
Your Calls to Action:
The NYTimes bombshell article is just the start – “It’s about the mystery of who owns Trump’s outlandish debts, and the degree of secret power they may be wielding over the country.” Even without the tax information, security experts have been sounding the alarm about Trump’s vulnerability since the beginning of his presidency. Alexander Vindman, the Army officer whose whistleblower complaint of a “perfect” conversation led to Trump’s impeachment, considers our president already compromised. “President Trump should be considered to be a useful idiot and a fellow traveler, which makes him an unwitting agent of Putin.”
Minimal script to Representatives: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep. [___] to demand an immediate investigation into the security risk posed by Trump’s debts. He has already proven himself willing to be bought.Rep. Julia Brownley: email, (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: email.(CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
https://whoismyrepresentative.com (put in your zip code)
We Democrats will have to fall for his lies to help him pull this off. So, keep reminding your social media friends, that we are the majority and to go out and vote like Ruth Bader Ginsburg is watching.
He will also depend on his able cast of enablers, including all the GOP members of the Senate. So, if you’ve finished sending out cards to those who swore they’d never seat a new justice in an election year (tinyurl.com/Postcards-to-Hypocrites), here’s another proposed script for those quivering toadies.
Dear Sen. _______
The GOP has had many chances to stand up to the anti-democratic actions of President Trump. And each time, you’ve remained silent, putting your party over our country. Even now, as he threatens the orderly transfer of power for the first time in our history, you are afraid to say his name. Similar to the question to Sen. Joe McCarthy +60 years ago, we ask: Have you no decency? Have you no patriotism? Have you no honor? Have you no courage?
Here’s a list of addresses to send them to. Just look for the red dots.
As far as we know, the fix is in already – the Senate is ruled by amoral invertebrates. Now there’s only one person who has the power to turn this around. Surely it wasn’t only our mothers who said “It never hurts to ask.” Crazy, but worth a try. Postcard or letter, or try them both. Speak from the heart about values that are important to you.
Address: Hon. Amy C. Barrett, Robert K. Rodibaugh United States Courthouse, 401 S. Michigan St., South Bend, IN 46601-230.
If you have a Democratic senator, you know you don’t have to keep nagging them to vote against Amy. However, it’s important that good questions get asked. (These are liberally borrowed from a brilliant Facebook post on our site. Add any you think of.)
Minimal script for an email: (Send only to your own senators.)
- Emoluments: “Judge Barrett, would you please explain the emoluments clause in the Constitution.”
- If a president were to refuse to divest himself of his properties and, in fact, continue to steer millions of dollars of tax payer money to his properties, would this violate the emoluments clause?
- Ask about specific examples, such as using the American ambassador to Britain to try to get the British Open golf tournament at a Trump property. (Find all examples...)
- Hatch Act: “Judge Barrett, would you please explain the Hatch Act to the American people.”
- Did Kellyanne Conway violate the Hatch Act on these 60 occasions?
- Should she have been removed from office? Did her actions breed disrepect for the rule of law? (Find all examples, including use of White House during the GOP Convention.)
- Division of Powers – Oversight: “Judge Barrett, would you please explain to the American people the duties of Congress, according to the Constitution, to oversee the executive branch.”
- When the Trump administration refuses time and again [list them] to respond to a subpoena from Congress, is this an obstruction of the constitutional duty of Congress for oversight?
- Is this an obstruction of justice?
- Division of Powers – Power of the purse: “Judge Barrett, would you please explain to the American people the duties of Congress, according to the Constitution, to oversee the allocation of funding.”
- How would you catagorize the reallocation of military funding to a border wall, especially when he admitted that no emergency existed.
- Impeachment: Read the transcript of Trump’s phone call. “Judge Barrett, would you describe this as a “perfect phone call”? Is there anything about this call that troubles you, as a judge, or as an American?”
- “What is the technical definition of collusion?” Then go through all of the contacts between the Trump administration and Russians during the election and get her opinion on whether these amount to collusion. Doesn’t matter how she answers. It gets Trump’s perfidy back in front of Americans right before the election.
- Constitution: “The founders of our nation were intent on ensuring that foreign entities did not influence America’s democratic system. Judge Barrett, can you speak to the issue of foreign entanglement and the security threat of our president’s indebtedness?”
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email,DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.comEvents (if you are going and interested in carpooling, email us and we’ll do our best to hook you up):
What can I do now? You’ve registered to vote. Your friends are all registered. You’ve checked that Grandma is still on the rolls. Now what? Click here for opportunities to help Get Out the Vote!
Sept 29 – Online: Santa Paula Education Candidate Forum
Sept 29 – Online: Tuesdays with Simi Valley Indivisible! Christy Smith for Congress!
Sept 30 – Drive-up FREE Flu Vaccine Event
Sept 30 – Online: Moorpark Candidates Forum
Sept 30 – Drive-up FREE Flu Vaccine Event
Sadly, Sept, Oct, Nov canceled due to Covid concerns. See you (hopefully) on Dec. 27 – Free IMMIGRATION LEGAL AID Fair – Volunteers Needed! Every last Sunday of the month we assist residents, alongside immigration lawyers, in filling out paperwork for citizenship, DACA (click here for up-to-date DACA info) and green card renewals. Can’t make it? Help fund this event
Oct 1 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Thousand Oaks City Council
Oct 2 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Fillmore City Council
Oct 3 – Online: Tuesdays with Simi Valley Indivisible! Christy Smith for Congress!Oct 4 – Online: Ventura City Council Candidate Forum on Housing and Homelessness hosted by Ventura Social Services Task Force
Oct 4 – Online: Elect Biden-Harris & Flip the Senate
Oct 5 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Santa Paula City Council
Oct 5 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: V.C. Supervisor District 5
Oct 6 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Assembly District 44
Oct 6 – Online: Profs and Pints Online: The Origins of Antifa
Oct 7 – Online: Vice Presidential Debate
Oct 7 – Online: Justice is on the ballot. A Town Hall on CA Ballot Propositions
Oct 8 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Oxnard City Council District 4
Oct 8 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Oxnard Mayor
Oct 9 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Oxnard City Council District 3
Oct 9 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Oxnard City Council District 6
Oct 11– Online: Elect Biden-Harris & Flip the Senate
Oct 12 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Oxnard Treasurer
Oct 12 – Online: League of Women Voters Candidate Forum: Congressional District 26 (Brownley/Baldwin-Kennedy)
Oct 13 – Online: Tuesdays with Simi Valley Indivisible! Christy Smith for Congress!
Oct 18 – Online: Elect Biden-Harris & Flip the Senate
Oct 20 – Online: Tuesdays with Simi Valley Indivisible! Christy Smith for Congress!
Oct 25 – Online: Elect Biden-Harris & Flip the Senate
Oct 27 – Online: Tuesdays with Simi Valley Indivisible! Christy Smith for Congress!
Nov 1 – Online: Elect Biden-Harris & Flip the Senate
EVENTS ARE HAPPENING CRAZY FAST!!! – Our most up-to-date “calendar” of antiracist actions has temporarily been moved to HERE.
You can now DONATE to the cause!
Indivisible Ventura is completely volunteer run and your donation will support the direct costs of organizing in Ventura — things like meeting room rental, posters, art supplies, stamps, transportation, and more! Every part of our country is under threat by this President and Congress. The only way to win is by standing together, indivisible. Indivisible Ventura is one of 6,000 grassroots Indivisible groups across the country.
Contribute today to Indivisible Ventura. Together, we will win.
DONATE NOW by clicking here!Resources:
Indivisible Ventura: How to make your calls faster
Indivisible Ventura: Why do I need to call? My representatives are all Democrats
Archdioceses of Los Angeles: Preparing your Family for Immigration Enforcement (bilingual)
Indivisible Ventura: Are You a Policy Wonk? Here’s How to Track a Bill
What Good Does it do to Write Letters to the Editor?: With contact information, podcast tutorial, and guidelines
Indivisible Ventura: Ten Things to Respectfully Ask a Conservative about Healthcare
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.