We’re still keeping a full calendar of remote events. Check https://indivisibleyolo.org/calendar/ for the most up-to-date information on actions and events you can join!
This is the last day the CA state legislature is in session, so please call Assemblymember Cecilia Aguiar-Curry as soon as possible, before the voting is over!
Here are the ones still on the agenda, though things are moving fast:
- SB 731- SUPPORT: allow decertification of abusive police officers. California is one of only 5 states that has NO process to decertify abusive cops to ensure they cannot be hired again as police officers. This bill would allow decertification of police who have been fired for excessive force, sexual misconduct and dishonesty. Detailed analysis: here
- SB 977: SUPPORT: prevent higher health care prices caused by consolidation and anti-competitive hospital practices. Detailed analysis: here
- AB 2542- SUPPORT: prohibits the state from seeking or upholding a conviction or sentence that is discriminatory based on race, ethnicity, or national origin, as specified. Link for the bill and analysis: here
- SB 776- SUPPORT: public disclosure of police records, such as use of force, discrimination, unlawful searches and arrests. Detailed analysis: here
- AB 1506- SUPPORT: requires investigation by state prosecutor into any law enforcement killing of an “unarmed civilian.” Detailed analysis: here
- AB 1080- SUPPORT: phase out single use, non-recyclable, non-compostable plastics. Detailed analysis here
And remember the Indivisible Yolo General meeting is TONIGHT, Monday, August 31st from 7-8:30 pm. Link here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87097287493?pwd=bi9xSVBxMVMwd3laN1RwOFk0U3JLdz09 We’d love to see you there!
Would you like company making calls to representatives or doing the action of the week? Join our Virtual Action Coffee Zoom meeting Monday mornings at 10 am: https://zoom.us/j/721847201. We’ll talk through Indivisible Yolo’s action of the week, call or email our representatives, talk politics, and stay connected to each other and the work in this challenging time.
We also have example scripts below (please call quickly though since this is the last day of the legislative session)!
Take care, and take action!
-The Indivisible Yolo Team
P.S. It’s time to phonebank to get out the vote! We have a list of events and information sessions below. If you’ve been wondering what you can do, now is the time!
Our General meeting is TONIGHT, Monday, August 31st, 7-8:30 pm online on Zoom at this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87097287493?pwd=bi9xSVBxMVMwd3laN1RwOFk0U3JLdz09.
See you there!
Action: Assemblymember Aguiar-Curry: YES on SB 731, SB 977, AB 2542, SB 776, AB 1506, AB 1080
Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME] and I am a constituent from [CITY/ZIP CODE].
I urge you to support:
- SB 731- to allow decertification of abusive police officers;
- Support SB 977 preventing higher health care prices caused by anti-competitive hospital practices.
- Support AB 2542- to prohibit the state from seeking or upholding discriminatory convictions.
- Support SB 776- for public disclosure of police records;
- Support AB 1506 to require investigation into law enforcement killing of “unarmed civilians.”And support AB 1080- phasing out single-use plastics.
Action: Pick a phonebank and/or information session and attend (remotely)!
Sister District – CA-3 and Indivisible Yolo host virtual, welcoming, supportive phonebanks, and we need your help. Join us!
Your mission this week and until the election: attend a phonebanking and/or information session
If you’re a newcomer to this type of work or want a refresher, this is your invitation! The phonebanking sessions listed below provide training, and you are also very welcome to attend one of the dedicated information sessions.
NEW: Wednesday, Sept. 2, 7-8:30pm- Special Sister District-CA3 monthly meeting
Do you know how important it is to call voters during this time of COVID-19? Well, we do! The reason is because it’s an important and effective method to get voters to vote. That’s the ultimate goal for all of us!
Are you uncomfortable with calling people? Do you hate getting those types of calls? When you join us for this VERY IMPORTANT MEETING, we will do everything in our power to make it easy and fun. Attend the SD-CA3 monthly meeting (a co-hosted event with Indivisible Yolo) on Wed., Sept 2 (Zoom, of course). Neal Morgan, a former Obama field organizer, will speak to us about phone banking. We will also hear from a few of our stellar volunteers who will share a few of their amazing stories.
Here’s the link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83057203139
Wednesdays, 3:30pm – 4:00pm. Now until November
Sundays, 1:30pm – 2:00pm. Now until November
Think you might want to volunteer? Join an information session! We will tell you a little about us and the work that we do, and you can ask questions and tell us about yourself.
To join a Zoom information session use this link: https://zoom.us/j/804500806
Phonebank sessions (training provided):
- Tuesdays, 3-5pm: Phonebank with Tim
- Wednesdays, 4-6pm: Phonebank with Scott & Steve (right after the information session)
- Saturdays, 10am-12pm: Phonebank with Kelly & Rebekka for Joe and Kamala
- Sundays, 2-4pm: Phonebank with Betsy & Amy (right after the information session)To join the Zoom phone bank sessions use this link: https://zoom.us/j/804500806
All you need is a laptop or device to join the Zoom meeting and a phone to call voters. Call campaigns vary each week. Campaign details and training provided on the Zoom call and updated weekly: linktr.ee/CT2020.
A calendar of up-to-date events, including these phonebanks and information sessions, is here: https://indivisibleyolo.org/calendar/
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.