An important message from Swing Left on how you can make a difference and show that Black Lives Matter.
In the wake of George Floyd’s senseless murder by the Minneapolis police, and the resulting nationwide protests demanding justice and reform, it is rightly not business as usual for Swing Left. That’s why we are temporarily pausing our national volunteer events and encouraging our community to devote their time and energy to racial justice. You can find a starting list of resources here or further down in this email.
We can’t pretend our work around elections is the answer to the systemic racism that permeates our society. Instead, we have a responsibility to use our platform to uplift Black voices and Black-led movement work. Please use these resources to support the movement for racial justice and further your own anti-racist work.
- Take part in a campaign with Color of Change. Contact elected officials to demand accountability and build real power for Black communities across the country.
- Donate to organizations fighting racism and police brutality. Make your contribution monthly to help drive sustained financial resources to these organizations, with or without the spotlight of national news.
- Donate to a bail fund in your state or community. Help combat racial and economic disparities in the bail system and defend protesters’ freedom, regardless of their wealth.
- Learn about state and local policies to address police violence. Find out if these policies have been adopted where you live, and then ask your neighbors to join you in contacting your elected officials.
- Choose your next book from this anti-racist reading list. Buy from black booksellers and publishers, and gather your friends for a virtual book club to make your way through the list.
- Listen to more Black and Brown voices, starting with these podcasts, films, and more. Uplift this content on a regular basis by sharing it with your friends and family too.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.