Mickey’s first guest this week is media scholar Robin Andersen, who explains the misleading consequences of portraying the coronavirus crisis as a “war;” she and Mickey also review the media treatment of the police murder of George Floyd. Then artist/activist Eleanor Goldfield returns to the show to describe her new documentary “Hard Road of Hope,” a look at the history of labor and environmental-health struggles in West Virginia but that have national implications.
- Robin Andersen teaches communications and media studies at Fordham University in New York. Her recent article “A Pandemic Is Not A War,” can be found at fair.org/home/a-pandemic-is-not-a-war
- Eleanor Goldfield is a journalist, artist and organizer; her web site is www.artkillingapathy.com
- “Gimme Some Truth” by John Lennon
- “Uncle Sam Goddamn” by Brother Ali
- “Fire In The Hole” by Hazel Dickens
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.