Our last action newsletter was sponsored by the letter V for VOTE; this edition is brought to you by the letter V for virus. Not that we lack imagination, it’s just that COVID-19 is smashing the political landscape like everything else … Please DO take action; we have so many things you can do from the safety of your home and sink. We will NOT hold an in-person All Members Meeting this month, we’re making plans for a virtual meeting and will keep you posted. Please stay safe and take care of yourselves. We need you.
Action #1: Touch your phone, not your face
Deadline: NOW – The Fact-Destroyer-in-Chief is mismanaging the COVID-19 crisis and endangering our lives and health. Take a deep breath – and then take action. Read our article, pick up your phone, open your email, and tell our Members of Congress to do everything they can to make sure that the effort to contain the spread of coronavirus is managed properly by the people who know what they’re doing.
Action #2: Activism in the time of COVID
Deadline: RIGHT AWAY – Every new headline seems to reduce the things we should leave the house for. And maybe staying home is your happy place anyway? We’ve got news for you: political work is not “non-essential”! Read our article to find out how we’re still working together to fight the Ignoramus-in-Chief who told us the spread of coronavirus is “contained.” Even if “together” doesn’t necessarily mean actually, you know, face to face. And wash your hands.
Action #3: Don’t stop believing
Deadline: THIS SECOND – How ya feeling about the presidential primary? Fired up? Pissed off? Blah? The stark fact is, no matter who the blue standard bearer was, the Destroyer-of-Worlds-in-Chief was gonna be the GOP nominee, and you gotta believe that’s worse. Check out this piece on why it’s so important to believe in whoever goes up against him, whether that person was your candidate or not – and why it’s so important to believe that we can win in November. Still can’t see yourself working for the nominee? There’s no sitting it out – see this Buzzfeed article about how you can still be involved in Blue Wave 2020!
Join March AMM online or by phone
Sunday, March 29 from 1-3 PM: We’re planning how to hold our March All Members Meeting without gathering in person. Stay tuned for info on how to join us. And meanwhile, the online chat platform Slack is where we at IEB talk about important issues, share info, plan events, and more, even when there’s no virus going around! Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send you an invite. Not sure what it’s all about? Here’s a handy tutorial about Slack.
Your donations to IEB support our actions against the Evil Empire but do not go to candidate-related events.
Activities & Events!
2020 Voter Outreach Events
NOTE: At this time it’s possible that most or all scheduled in-person gatherings will be cancelled or postponed. Always RSVP and check your email before going to an event in case there are any changes. Contact the host if you have questions. And please continue to sign up, we will be setting up systems for you to be active from home. And please fill out this form: we’ll let you know about future events.
Phone &Text Bank/Postcard & Letter:
- Phone Bank to Arizona in Richmond 3/14
- Phone Bank to Arizona in Oakland 3/17
- Phone Bank to Arizona in Oakland 3/22
- Texting in South Berkeley to Win in 2020 3/28
- Postcarding in Berkeley to Win in 2020 3/29
- Phone & Text to Arizona in El Cerrito 4/5
- Phone Bank to Arizona in Oakland 4/21
- Texting in South Berkeley to Win in 2020 4/25
- Check out our updated article with a great list of phone & text banks, and much more, hosted by IEB’s partners in flipping 2020 blue.
Other Activities & Events
- March 18, 7-8:30 PM: CA-11 team meeting. RSVP here.
- March 29, 1-3 PM: IEB All Members Meeting. Stay tuned for details about joining this meeting, which will NOT be an in-person gathering.
We Could Not Make This Up
We couldn’t, actually. But if you want to escape into a fictional post-apocalyptic landscape, Emily St. John Mandel DID make it up back in 2015 in her great book Station Eleven. We know reading about a fast-moving disease that wipes out most of humanity (no spoiler alert, that part is over in the first 50 pages) won’t be everyone’s cuppa tea, but this book is about what happens AFTER – the ugly & the beautiful, the ferals and the traveling Shakespeare company … available at your public library and local independent bookstore (audiobook too!) And hey, if you’re staying home more, did you know you can take out electronic books from any library where you’ve got a card, using Overdrive and the friendly app Libby?
Want to do more? Contact Us!
- Volunteer with IEB or find out how we work: email@example.com
- Questions/comments about IEB: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t miss an issue: subscribe to this newsletter!
- Questions/comments on the newsletter: email@example.com
- Join us on the chat platform Slack to talk about important issues, plan events, & more! Ask for an invite at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate – keep the momentum going!
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.