Nadine Strossen, is an activist, professor, and was the first woman and youngest president of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). She is also the author of the book “HATE: Why We Should Resist it With Free Speech, Not Censorship,” which explores arguments around “Hate Speech” vs. “Free Speech.”
We discuss the definition of hate speech, and how one quantifies harm caused when hate speech is directed at individuals or groups. We also explore legal arguments around censorship, as well as, non-censorial methods for curbing hateful speech.
- HATE: Why We Should Resist it With Free Speech, Not Censorshipby Nadine Strossen
- The Power of Movies to Change Our Hearts by Vernon E. Jordan Jr.
- A Developmental Science Approach to Reducing Prejudice and Social Exclusion: Intergroup Processes, Social-Cognitive Development, and Moral Reasoning by Adam Rutland & Melanie Killen
- Mass Communication and Para-social Interaction: Observations on Intimacy at a Distance by Donald Horton & Richard R. Wohl
- Improving intergroup relations with extended and vicarious forms of indirect contact by Loris Vezzali, Miles Hewstone, Dora Capozza, Dino Giovannini, and Ralf Wölfer
Vote for the ELECTORETTE
The Electorette is taking its mission to uplift the voices and work of women, and progressive values to NETROOTS NATION! We have two sessions on the Netroots “Ballot” and your vote is needed to be included in the final sessions.
- PANEL: Building an Inclusive Multiracial Coalition to Strengthen Women’s Political Power | VOTE HERE: http://bit.ly/Electorette-NetrootsPanel-2020
- TRAINING: The Power of the Pod: Activism, Movement Building & Fundraise with Podcasting | VOTE HERE: http://bit.ly/Electorette-NetrootsTraining-2020
Support the Electorette
Want to support the Electorette so that we can bring you more great episodes? You can help us produce more episodes with just $2/per month on Patreon. Every bit helps! Patreon.com/Electorette
WANT MORE ELECTORETTE? Follow the Electorette on social media.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.