Action – That Americans will die because at least one of these is true is a tragedy. Call your legislators. Take away his power to start war.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code]. I understand that although Gen. Soleimani was an enemy of the US, killing the second most powerful man in Iran is equal to Iran assassinating Generals Petraeus and Mattis, the head of Special Operations Command, and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I have a question and a demand. Trump authorized this assassination without Congressional authorization, consultation with the “Gang of 8” or with our allies.
QUESTION: What was Trump’s legal justification for this action and its apparent violation of Executive Order 12,333? What is his justification for violating international law by basing the attack in Iraq without that government’s consent?
DEMAND: Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA-13) has been fighting against presidents’ unlimited use military force since 2001. It is time for you to join her and stop to this lawlessness with legislation NOW by approving H.R.1274 – Repeal of the Authorization for Use of Military Force (which repeals Public Law 107-40. –‘Authorization for Use of Military Force’’). (For senators, demand that they introduce legislation matching Rep. Barbara Lee’s H.R.1274. For GOP senators, remind them that impeachment is becoming more urgent, not less.) (Read about Rep. Lee’s fight here. Her current statement is here.)
(Rep-check here. Call Brownley and Carbajal are NOT cosigners)
Rep. Julia Brownley: email, (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: email. (CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
Joe Biden: “No American will mourn Qassem Soleimani’s passing. He deserved to be brought to justice for his crimes against American troops and thousands of innocents throughout the region,” Biden began. He then proceeded to warn that “this is a hugely escalatory move in an already dangerous region.” He continued:
The Administration’s statement says that its goal is to deter future attacks by Iran, but this action almost certainly will have the opposite effect. President Trump just tossed a stick of dynamite into a tinderbox, and he owes the American people an explanation of the strategy and plan to keep safe our troops and embassy personnel, our people and our interests, both here at home and abroad, and our partners throughout the region and beyond. I’m not privy to the intelligence and much remains unknown, but Iran will surely respond. We could be on the brink of a major conflict across the Middle East.
Biden said he hoped Trump had thought about “second- and third-order consequences,” but rightly pointed that that “this Administration has not demonstrated at any turn the discipline or long-term vision necessary — and the stakes could not be higher.” Indeed, the stakes could not be higher for Biden and his rivals for the Democratic presidential nomination, who, a month before the Iowa caucuses, now will face renewed scrutiny of their national security views and capabilities. We are reminded that the next president will face the extraordinary task of repairing damage to the United States’ international credibility and resolving the conflicts that Trump has widened.” (Wapo)
- How Congress can reclaim its power (just security)
- The missing Asistant Secretary of Defense and Soleimani strike (just security)
- Executive Order 12,333: The permissibility of an American assassination of a foreign leader (Cornell)
- Was it legal for Donald Trump to order the killing of a top Iranian general? (nbc)
- Trump Just declared war on Iran (slate)
- Trump, Troll-in-Chief, wags the Impeachment Dog by Going to War with Iran (informedconsent)
- US Strike in Iran kills Qassim Suleimani, Commander of Iranian Forces (NYT)
- An endless bloody war. Yes on 1274 (indivisibleventura)
- Wed – 2/27: Congress – take your power back now! (indivisibleventura)
- Trump briefed Graham on airstrike, but kept Dems (and the Gang of Eight) in the dark (msnbc.com)
- War on Terror – Facts/costs/timeling (the balance)
- The most expensive wars in US hisory (usatoday)
- America has been at war 93% of the time – 222 out of 239 years – since 1776. (global research) (freakonomics)
- This month marks 25 years the US has been at War in Iraq. A region at war, a rash of terrorist attacks, and the worst refugee crisis since World War II: These are the legacies of America’s quarter-century-and-counting war in Iraq. (Foreign Policy in Focus)
- Why long wars no longer generate a backlash at home (foreignaffairs)
- America’s Forever Wars (NYTimes)
- Presidential references to the 2001 AUMF (Congressional Research Service)
- The 2002 Iraq AUMF almost certainly authorizes the president to use force today in Iraq (Lawfare)
- Why authorization to use military force is so important (The Hill)
- US at war in seven countries (Defense One)
- Map of current U.S. Counterterror War Locations (WatsonInstitute)
- Costs of War (WatsonInstitute)
- About that trial balloon on using the 9/11 AUMF to authorize US strikes on Iran (just security)
- Trump, in risky gambit, ratchets up pressure on Venezuela as tensions flare at the border (Wapo)
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.