Strengthen the Civil Service, bypass Tuberville, support clean energy, and more!
*** SUBMITTING YOUR ACTIONS TO ROGAN’S LIST ***
We’ve set up a “tip line” so Rogan’s List subscribers can send in their ideas or submissions for action items at email@example.com. Please don’t hesitate to email and pass on your suggestions. We look forward to hearing from you!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- HELP BLOCK TRUMP’S PURGE OF THE CIVIL SERVICE – DEADLINE TOMORROW
Key among Trump’s plans for his second term is purging the federal civil service – replacing professionals with conservative ideologues and Trump loyalists. He aims to do this through reinstituting an executive order known as Schedule F, which would reclassify tens of thousands of federal employees involved in policy decisions as at-will employees. This is also likely to be part of the toolbox for any Republican president. The Office of Personnel Management is currently weighing a rule to strengthen civil servants’ employment rights that would limit the impact of this gambit – but the comment period closes TOMORROW. Let’s submit our comments in favor of this proposed rule to block Schedule F here. We can also contact our members of Congress and ask them to support legislative efforts to protect the civil service (S.399/H.R.1002), and keep up with future developments by subscribing to Professor Don Moynihan’s Substack.
- SHUTDOWN AVERTED. BUT THERE’S MORE TO DOWith the overwhelming support of the Democratic caucus, the House passed a bill that will fund the federal government into next year. Late last night, the Senate passed it as well, and President Biden is expected to sign it in time to avert a shutdown. The conservative House “Freedom” Caucus opposed the bill. House Democratic leadership issued a statement explaining its support for the bill, and said that going forward, “it is important that Congress comes together to advance the supplemental national security and domestic policy funding requested by President Joe Biden. In addition, it is time for House Republicans to finally work with the Democratic Caucus and the Senate on all twelve appropriations bills in a manner consistent with the Bipartisan Fiscal Responsibility Act.” Let’s tell our Members of Congress that we support this position, and we expect them to follow through on it.
- SUPPORT THE SENATE’S EFFORT TO BYPASS TUBERVILLEIn an effort to bypass Tommy Tuberville’s blocking of military promotions, yesterday the Senate Rules Committee advanced a resolution that would clear the way for the quick confirmation of hundreds of military promotions. It will soon be brought to the full Senate for a vote, but needs 60 votes to pass, meaning some GOP members will have to join their Democratic counterparts to move beyond this deadlock. There is no good time to have our military in such a chaotic state, but especially now with our involvement in wars around the world. Let’s tell our Senators that we are counting on them to help stop this dangerous nonsense.
- CLEAN ENERGY SUPPORT FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENTSRewiring America is building a coalition of local government leaders who are working to bring clean energy initiatives to their communities. Nearly 200 mayors, commissioners, council members, and sustainability officers from some 30 states have joined the coalition and receive assistance in crafting policies and programs, deploying tools and resources, and connecting with local, state, and federal government officials and business leaders. Let’s tell our local officials about this opportunity and urge them to join the coalition.
- LEARN THE FACTS ABOUT GUN LAWSFrom a reader: Evidence shows that we can save lives with gun violence-reduction policies such as background checks, child-access prevention laws, and age requirements. Get the facts at Gun Policy in America, an interactive site from the nonprofit, nonpartisan RAND research organization. The site visualizes data on firearm injuries and deaths, state laws, and gun ownership, and links to evidence summaries. Let’s use this information to advocate for laws to protect all of us against guns, guided by Sandy Hook Promise and Everytown.
- MI – STOP HATE GROUP MEMBERS FROM BECOMING POLICE OFFICERSFor years, government agencies and news organizations have issued reports on the documented ties between white supremacist and/or far-right militant groups and U.S. law enforcement. In response, last month Representative Emily Dievendorf (D-Lansing) introduced the Law Enforcement Accountability Reform Act (HB 5281), which would prohibit members of hate groups, or those who participate in hate group activity, from becoming law enforcement officers (LEOs). It would also revoke licenses of currently employed LEOs who participate in acts of hate, pending an investigation by their department. Let’s contact our state representatives and ask them to support and pass this long overdue legislation. We can also ask that investigations into LEOs be conducted by an independent agency, rather than that LEO’s own department.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.