Election updates, demand release of hostages, COVID boosters, and more!
*** SUBMITTING YOUR ACTIONS TO ROGAN’S LIST ***
We’ve set up a “tip line” so Rogan’s List subscribers can send in their ideas or submissions for action items at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please don’t hesitate to email and pass on your suggestions, we look forward to hearing from you!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- HOME STRETCH FOR VIRGINIA AND OHIOWill the MAGA Republican party have full control of the state of Virginia, or will Democrats gain control in the state legislature? Will Ohio enshrine reproductive rights in its state constitution? These issues are on the ballot this November 7. There’s still time for us to help get out the vote in these elections. Let’s check out the website of Grassroots Democrats Headquarters and sign up to phonebank, textbank, and if we can, canvass. Let’s win these elections!
- DEMAND THE RELEASE OF THE HOSTAGES HELD BY HAMASOn 10/7/23, Hamas terrorists murdered 1400 Israeli civilians, and kidnapped more than 230 infants, toddlers, children, elderly, women, and men, currently reportedly being held in the Hamas underground military tunnel complex. Three weeks later, only 4 hostages have been released. Let’s contact our senator, congressperson, and the White House, and demand the hostages be released, that humanitarian corridors be maintained in Gaza for evacuation of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid, and that any cease fire include both demands.
- NON-PARTISAN VOTER GUIDE FOR 2023As we make our plans to vote in the November 7, 2023, elections, we have great resource to consult. Voter Guides, a project of Youth Service America, are nonpartisan, and written clearly and concisely by veteran journalists to help us compare candidates and understand what’s at stake in any elections this year. If we’re in GA, OH, PA, KY, MI, VA, let’s look at the Voter Guides so we can make informed decisions when we cast our ballots. All of us can subscribe so we know when Voter Guides will be available for our elections. h/t Civics Center
- LET’S GET OUR COVID-19 BOOSTER SHOTS“A month after federal officials recommended new versions of COVID-19 vaccines, 7% of US adults and 2% of children have gotten a shot. One expert called the rates ‘abysmal.’” Things are better than in the early days of the pandemic, but, even today, some 18,000 are hospitalized and 1,200 die each week from covid. And long covid still remains a serious risk. For the sake of ourselves, our loved ones, the immunocompromised, and our communities, let’s get our covid booster shots before we all gather for Thanksgiving. Let’s use this tool to find where we can get a vaccine, and then let’s make an appointment. We can use the tool to find where to get our flu shots, too!
- SAVE A PROGRAM THAT HAS ALREADY SAVED 25 MILLION LIVES
Authorization for the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), credited with saving 25 million lives and changing the trajectory of the global HIV/AIDS epidemic, quietly expired on September 30th in the midst of the fight to keep the government open. After a long history of bipartisan support and routine reauthorization every five years, forced birther groups are rallying Republicans against another similar extension, claiming PEPFAR funds are being used to promote abortion and LGBT advocacy. These claims are over the objection of anti-choicers working against HIV/AIDS overseas, who have made clear this is not the case. While for now PEPFAR can keep operating, Republicans have been placing holds on notifications the State Department is required to send to Congress before the program spends any additional money, delaying the release of more than $1 billion. Let’s tell our members of Congress we want to see PEPFAR get a clean five-year reauthorization ASAP.
- NY – URGE LEADERSHIP TO ASSURE DUE PROCESS FOR ASYLUM SEEKERSA recent report from the Safe Harbor Clinic at the Brooklyn College Law School found that New York denied a far greater percentage of asylum applications than many other states, including Texas and Florida. This was attributed to “a culture of fear” in which workers were threatened with job loss if they didn’t process applications as quickly as possible. Since it takes much longer to grant asylum than to reject an application, only 5-7% of asylum applications were granted. Let’s reach out to Mayor Eric Adams of New York City and Governor Kathy Hochul and demand that every asylum seeker be afforded due process and a full review of their application.
CORRECTIONS AND UPDATES
A name in this entry in yesterday’s List was incorrect. Here is the corrected entry. Thanks to our readers for keeping us honest!
- HELP DEMOCRATS WIN IN KENTUCKY
Absentee voting is already underway in Kentucky, where Democrats have their best chance to win a governor’s race this November. Incumbent Andy Beshear has a strong record built on expanding access to health care, securing clean drinking water and funding for high-speed Internet, and bringing EV battery manufacturing jobs to the state, and is running hard on protecting the right to choose and opposing school vouchers. His opponent, Republican Attorney General Daniel Cameron, has been caught up in scandal, accused of soliciting campaign donations from the executives of an organization under investigation by his office, and has been under attack for failing to charge the police who killed Breonna Taylor. Let’s sign up to volunteer for Governor Beshear’s reelection campaign. We can also phonebank Kentucky voters with Democratic AG nominee Colonel Pam Stevenson here.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.