Men takeover control of women’s bodies in the HandMaid’s Tale
How close are Republican led states to the Handmaid’s Tale? What could happen in Virginia? Compare what’s already happening in red states to the Hanmaid’s tale with this StoryMap. What you can do to stop this nightmare in Virginia.
- 75% of women who seek abortions are low income and cannot afford the expense of traveling out of state for an abortion – Forbes
- More than a dozen Republican states restrict the use of telemedicine to provide abortion pills – NPR
- Texas creates abortion bounty hunters by deputizing ordinary citizens to enforce an effective ban on abortions with a financial incentive to do so – NY Times
- 13 year old girl gives birth after she was raped and denied abortion in Mississippi. The nearest abortion clinic in Chicago was too far away and too expensive for her mother to provide her with the procedure – The Guardian
- South Carolina Republicans rule “a woman’s interest in autonomy and privacy does not outweigh the interest of the unborn child to live” – CNN
- Homophobic Preacher Calls For The Mass Execution Of Gay People – YouTube
Women’s freedom is on the line in Virginia
Republicans will ban abortions in Virginia… The Handmaid’s Tale is about Gilead, where men have taken total control of reproduction. This is what they do next:
- The state assumes complete control of women’s bodies
- Through politics supported by religious terms
- Women are not allowed to vote, hold property or jobs
- Women cannot read or do anything else that might allow them to become independent – PapersOwl
Vote to protect women’s freedoms in Virginia
Political Girl video on why this election matters so much
Support groups fighting for women’s rights in Virginia
TakeAway: Don’t let Virginia turn into another Handmaid’s Tale. VOTE!
Images: HandMaid’s Tale on Hulu (Scary when horror fiction becomes reality)
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
Watch the 30 second video
The soundtrack is “I am woman” by Helen Reddy. The QR Code leads to details on how to vote in Virginia.
I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an’ pretend
‘Cause I’ve heard it all before
And I’ve been down there on the floor
No one’s ever gonna keep me down again
Oh yes, I am wise
But it’s wisdom born of pain
Yes, I’ve paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong. I am invincible. I am woman.
You can bend but never break me
‘Cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
‘Cause you’ve deepened the conviction in my soul
Read in browser »
Reposted from Democracy Labs with permission.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.