Thank you again for your ongoing support of our local Democratic Party. We’ve got a few important dates to remember and engagement opportunities coming up, so please mark your calendars with the events below and we look forward to seeing you soon!
- Tuesday September 5: State Senate District 42 Special Election Primary
- Tuesday September 19: State Senate District 42 Special Election Primary Runoff (if necessary)
- Thursday September 21: Charleston County Democratic Party Monthly Meeting
- Every Wednesday & Saturday in September: Voter Turnout Volunteer Shifts for Senate District 42 Special Election
- TBA Soon (Late October or Early November): Blue Jam 2023!
Thank you again for all you do to help move our county and state forward!
There’s a Special Election Next Week! Go Vote!
Senate District 42 has long been an important one for Charleston Democrats. It’s the only SC Senate Seat primarily based in our county that is represented by a Democrat, this Senator will be an important voice for our County Party in Columbia!
Be sure to go have your say in the race to be Charleston’s next Senator in the Democratic Primary on Tuesday September 5th! Polls will be open from 7am-7pm at your regular polling place. Please check SCvotes.org to confirm if you are in District 42 and the location of your polling place!
*If no candidate receives a majority of the vote, there will be a runoff between the top 2 vote-getting candidates on Tuesday September 19. Those votes too will be cast at your local polling place between 7am and 7pm.
Volunteer to Help Turnout Voters in the Special Election
Charleston Democrats are lucky to have three strong candidates running in the District 42 Special Election’s Democratic Primary; Rep. Wendell Gilliard, Rep. JA Moore, and Rep. Deon Tedder. The party is not endorsing and will not endorse any of these candidates before one becomes our nominee; rather our interest as a Party is to engage as many Democratic voters as possible to drive a strong turnout in this election and future elections.
To help us accomplish those critical goals, please click here to sign up for a shift – or several shifts!
Most shifts are on Wednesdays around Lunchtime and throughout the days on Saturdays.
Monthly County Party Meeting: Sept 21st in West Ashley
Thanks to those of you who have followed us around the County this summer as we have engaged communities throughout Charleston County by holding our monthly meetings in a rotating series of locations. For this month, we’ll return to our office in West Ashley and resume our rotating locations later this year!
Topics will include our newly minted Senate District 42 nominee, Blue Jam planning, and a look ahead to the candidates & elections coming up in 2024 (including our first in the nation Democratic Primary)!
August Monthly Recap
August was a busy month for the County Party. In case you missed it, here’s what we were up to!
- Volunteer Appreciation Night at the Charleston Riverdogs (August 29) attended by several dozen volunteers who all received free tickets and dinner thanks to generous contributions from Former House District 110 Nominee Ellis Roberts and incumbent District 45 State Senator Margie Bright Matthews!
- Senate District 42 Candidate Forum at Royal Missionary Baptist Church hosted by WCBD News 2 anchor Carolyn Murray. More than 100 voters got to hear from the candidates running in the Senate District 42 Democratic Primary.
- Charleston Democrats School Supply Drive dozens of County Party volunteers and donors made it possible for hundreds of Charleston County students to recieve free school supplies prior to the beginning of the new school year!
We look forward to continuing the momentum this fall!
Blue Jam 2023 Coming this Fall!
Our planning committee is hard at work organizing Charleston County’s largest annual Democratic Rally! Please be on the look out over the next few weeks for more details about our 2023 Blue Jam! We are very close to finalizing an exact date, location, and exciting lineup of speakers.
For those who have not attended before, every Fall Blue Jam draws hundreds of Lowcountry Democrats to meet our local candidates for the upcoming election cycle and hear words of inspiration from headline speakers! This event is typically in Late October or Early November – plan on it happening again this year in that timeframe. We’ll email soon and we hope to see you there!
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.