Obstruction in the Senate, Afghan refugees, illegal gerrymandering, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- REPUBLICAN OBSTRUCTION ON NOMINEES, MILITARY PROMOTIONS
In response to the extremely well-justified indictment of Donald Trump under the Espionage Act, Senator JD Vance (R-OH) has vowed to put procedural holds on all Department of Justice nominees except US marshals. While this is mainly a publicity stunt, as most Justice Department nominees require cloture votes now regardless, it comes as Senator Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) uses a similar hold to block military promotions, which typically do not. Tuberville has continued this effort as an objection to the military’s policy to cover travel costs for service members seeking reproductive care even though the Pentagon warns he is compromising America’s security. While procedural holds are an informal custom, they are typically honored by Senate leaders as the responses when they are not can eat up significant floor time. Let’s reach out to our senators and let them know we want them to loudly and publicly condemn these foot-dragging tactics and hold these senators accountable for their costs. Let’s also ask them to push for the August recess to be cancelled and used to move these stalled nominees and judges if these holds are not lifted.
- KEEP OUR PROMISES TO AFGHAN REFUGEES
76,000 Afghans who worked alongside US forces during the war and were successfully evacuated in the wake of the Taliban takeover are lost in a legal limbo. The bipartisan Afghan Adjustment Act in the last session of Congress, which would provide them with a clear pathway to permanent residency, stalled in Congress, in part due to the opposition of Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA). While the Biden Administration has stepped up to extend their temporary legal status for another two years, these souls deserve a long-term solution, and we need our members of Congress to show some urgency in standing by the people who stood by us. Let’s contact our members of Congress and tell them to reintroduce this bill and make passing it a priority, along with the Shaheen-Wicker bill to expand and extend the Special Immigrant Visa program for our Afghan allies. We can so directly or with this tool from Refugees International.
- CORPORATIONS WITH PRIDE MERCHANDISE GIVING TO ANTI-LGBT CANDIDATESAs the right wing continues its battles with so called “woke” corporations that are sponsoring pride events and promoting pride-themed products, consumers should be aware that several of these groups like Anheuser-Busch and Target, which recently faced a right backlash for their pride-themed advertisements and products have a history of giving money to anti-LGBTQ candidates. Let’s research the companies we do business with on opensecrets.org and then contact them and let them know that to fully support the LGBTQ community, they need to stop funding candidates that are passing laws that endanger the lives and livelihoods of LGBTQ folks and those who love them. (We can also join in Care2’s petition drive to the top 3 offenders: Home Depot, AT&T, and United Healthcare. (h/t))
- DEMOCRACY STARTS WITH FAIR VOTING MAPSLast week, the Supreme Court struck down Alabama’s redistricted congressional maps as illegal racial gerrymandering in violation of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. As a result, the Cook Political Report, a nonpartisan election tracker, found that Democrats have a better chance of winning five congressional House seats. Voters should choose their representatives, not the other way around. As we look to the 2024 election and the prospect of regaining the House of Representatives, let’s work to end extreme Republican gerrymandering by checking out the National Democratic Redistricting Committee. We can sign up for informational emails, apply for internships, and take action with NDRC’s All On The Line program.
- GOTV WITH BLACK VOTERS MATTEROn Thursday, June 22nd, Black Voters Matter will be hosting a My Mic Sounds Nice postcard party. The virtual get out the vote postcarding event will be a celebration of hip hop’s 50th anniversary, as attendees gather to write postcards and participate in hip hop trivia. Let’s sign up to join Black Voters Matter and empower Black communities across the country to make their voices heard.
- AZ, FL, GA, NV, NC, OH, PA, TN, TX, VA, WI – INCREASE DEMOCRATIC/PROGRESSIVE VOTER TURNOUTThe organization Rideshare2Vote works with the campaigns of Democratic and progressive candidates to increase voter turnout by offering free round-trip rides to the polls to non-voting or infrequent voters in key states. Volunteer drivers receive training, including in basic voting laws, to help their riders exercise their right to vote. If we’re in AZ, FL, GA, NV, NC, OH, PA, TN, TX, VA, WI, let’s consider signing up to become volunteer drivers. We can explore the Rideshare2Vote website for other ways to help as well.
- OH – LAST CHANCE TO SIGN ABORTION INITIATIVE PETITION
We only have until June 18th to sign the petition to get the initiative guaranteeing reproductive rights in Ohio on the ballot in November! If we haven’t signed yet, let’s find a place to do so at this link ASAP, and if we have let’s sign up for a shift getting those last few signatures in!
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.