Climate change, LGBTQ+, healthcare, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- CLIMATE CHANGEA team of climate researchers led by the Vrije Universiteit of Brussels has put together a compelling interactive infographic that lets “you find out how many more climate extremes you will face across your lifetime relative to a world without climate change.” Based on solid science, this infographic can serve to educate a wide range of people about the reality we face due to increasing climate change. Our government isn’t moving fast enough, and neither are our banks or corporations. The oil and gas industry are extremely powerful–counteracting their influence and misinformation will take all of us. Jess Craven of Chop Wood Carry Water has created a list of actions we can take to do our part in addressing this crisis.
- LGBTQ+ STATE OF EMERGENCYOn Tuesday, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) issued a state of emergency for LGBTQ+ people in the United States in response to the significant uptick in anti-LGBTQ+ legislation. Along with the state of emergency, the HRC has published a downloadable guidebook that summarizes state laws, notes friendly states, includes resources on building community, explains how to file complaints at the federal level, and details specific actions we can take to advocate for our LGBTQ+ community. Let’s read through and share the state of emergency, as well as the LGBTQ Guidebook for Action, and continue to fight back against these anti-LGBTQ+ legislative attacks.
- MORE GOP SUPPORT FOR INVADING MEXICO
It didn’t make the headlines in coverage of Senator Tim Scott’s presidential campaign announcement, but he joined the field in suggesting he would send the US military into Mexico to fight the drug cartels – invading our southern neighbor. Five of the top six candidates in the Republican primary field, including both Trump and DeSantis, have now indicated their support for an invasion of our southern neighbor, and Republican representatives including Dan Crenshaw and Marjorie Taylor Greene have already introduced an authorization for use of military force resolution that would allow the president to use force against foreign nations, organizations or persons who have violated or attempted to violate the Controlled Substances Act. This idea is sufficiently dangerous to demand we make our opposition known as early as possible. Let’s sign on to Win Without War’s call on Congress to oppose this resolution, and contact our members of Congress directly to tell them we expect them to stand up against a new war with Mexico.
- MEDICARE FOR ALLMost Americans agree that the American healthcare system needs serious help. The Medicare for All Act (S. 1655 and HR 3421) is once again before Congress. Our healthcare system is broken, and everyone knows it. We need one that’s dedicated to covering and caring for all Americans and cutting costs, not enriching private insurance companies and Big Pharma. Let’s tell our MoCs that we want them to address this and help their constituents. (h/t)
- ADVOCATE FOR SAFER WORKPLACES AT DOLLAR GENERAL
On top of the notoriously low wages at Dollar General, it has also failed its workers on safety issues. A combination of understaffing and stores strategically located to take advantage of neglected communities that often have higher crime rates has left them vulnerable to a significant armed robbery problem. Workers and activists have been demanding a new safety initiative at Dollar General, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration has named them a “Severe Violator” of workplace safety rules. The pressure is working, with shareholders voting to create an independent audit into worker safety, so let’s help them keep it up. We can use this tool from Dollar General and demand immediate implementation of better worker safety practices.
- ALL – SUPPORT THE LGBTQIA COMMUNITY IN YOUR COMMUNITY
This Pride is off to a dark start, marked by the demonization of the trans community by presidential candidates, threats against stores with Pride displays and violence by anti-LGBTQ forces. This is a moment that demands our solidarity. Let’s check out this list of state and local-level groups working for LGBTQIA justice and survival across the country, find one near us and connect with them to see what we can do to support their efforts.
- DE – CORPORATIONS CAN’T VOTE
The legislature in Delaware is considering legislation that would allow artificial entities – corporations, LLCs, and trusts – to participate in municipal elections in the town of Seaford. This bill, HB 121, would empower special interests and outsiders at the expense of flesh and blood people. Let’s use this tool from Common Cause Delaware to let our legislators know we say no to corporations voting, and we want them to oppose this legislation and rollback similar laws for other Delaware communities.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.