Actions on energy costs, gun violence, debt ceiling disinformation, and more! more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- LOWER ENERGY COSTS? The misleadingly named Lower Energy Costs Act (H.R.1) passed the House last week. It “would increase domestic production of oil, natural gas and coal, cut some environmental regulations, ease permitting restrictions for pipelines, refineries and other projects, and repeal sections of the Inflation Reduction Act – the landmark climate change legislation that Biden signed into law last summer.” While this legislation might be a boon to the oil and gas industry, it will not help the American people or the environment. Word is that it will not make it through the Senate. Let’s contact our Senators to make sure it doesn’t.
- HELP BE THE CHANGE AGAINST GUN VIOLENCE One rationalization for the number of school shootings in the US is that since we have such a large population that there are bound to be more. It may sound reasonable, however, over the same time period in which the US had 288 school shootings, the two countries with larger populations than us had 1, combined. Since Congress is dilly-dallying over gun safety, let’s sign up with groups that are working to enact change: 1) Everytown for Gun Safety, 2) Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, 3) Newton Action Alliance, or 4) March for our Lives.
- STUDY WITH ROBERT REICH Professor and former US Labor Secretary Robert Reich is opening his UC Berkeley course “Wealth & Poverty” to the public. This is the last time he’ll be teaching this 14-week course before he retires. The first class will be posted next Friday. Let’s “enroll” by signing up for a free subscription to his blog.
- DEBT CEILING DISINFORMATION Kevin McCarthy sent a letter to President Biden yesterday accusing him of being “missing in action” on efforts to address the approaching debt ceiling crisis. He also said President Biden was “putting an already fragile economy in jeopardy.” We have seen increasingly signs the GOP cannot agree on a single set of demands to even start a negotiation. We need to remember that it is the Republicans who are threatening to destroy the world’s economy to get their way. The debt ceiling is not about future spending. It’s about meeting the obligations past Congresses have incurred. And a great deal of that debt was incurred during the Trump administration. We want a clean debt ceiling increase now. . Let’s show we have the President’s back on this by contacting our members of Congress and telling them we want an end to the threats and a vote on raising the debt ceiling without conditions as soon as possible. (HT)
- SOLIDARITY WITH DEM LEGISLATORS FACING EXPULSION IN TENNESSEE
Three Democratic members of the Tennessee House of Representatives are facing retaliation by the Republican majority for participating in a peaceful protest for common-sense gun control laws on the House floor. Reps. Gloria Johnson and Justin Jones have already been stripped of their committee assignments, and along with Rep. Justin Pearson they are facing a possible expulsion resolution. If we’re in Tennessee, let’s heed the calls from progressive media and activists in Tennessee to call our reps and demand they oppose the planned expulsion. If we’re not, let’s signal boost this story so that everyone knows what’s happening to elected officials who refuse to toe the line in Tennessee, and contact Reps. Johnson, Jones and Pearson with our thanks for their being willing to lead at their own personal expense.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.