EVENTS/ACTIONS HAPPENING SOON!
The GOP members on the VC Board of Supervisors want to make it easier for the rich and powerful to buy our elections. (Second hearing – Comments by noon Monday 3/27!, Meeting Tuesday, 3/28, 10:30 am)
Huge corrupt takeover by the regressive majority (Gorell, Long, Parvin) on the Board of Supervisors. Didn’t even bother to get studies or staff reports done. Just sent in a note, essentially.
Um, no. We’re working together with concerned community members to dissect all the nonsense that was said last time and work on our approach. This post will be republished soon with more information for written comments, which need to be submitted by noon the day before, Monday, to be included in the record.
Mark your calendar. WE NEED PEOPLE TO FILL THE ROOM!
(You can also participate by ZOOM!)
In the meantime, go to County Supervisor Janice Parvin’s Town Hall, Thursday March 23, 6-8 pm. Elks Lodge, 1561 Kuehner Drive (Right behind Old Susana Cafe)
It is FREE to attend, but one needs to RSVP since space is limited:
RSVP to: Mike.Kort@ventura.org or call call 805.955.2300
Supervisor Parvin, along with newly elected Jeff Gorell have already reversed two important regulations that were put in place by previous boards.
1. After Measures A&B were defeated, they now allowed new oil drilling without the oversite of updated permits.
2. Rescinding of Campaign Donation limitations (Click her to see the op-ed piece authored by Linda Parks and Steve Bennett in the March 13th issue of the STAR explaining the dangers of this move!(https://mcusercontent.com/a79d5603312dd0d1ae813b964/files/889b41bf-d04c-5a71-5ed9-3d825f44883a/2023_03_13_Keep_law_limiting_contributions_Ventura_County_Star.pdf)
Let’s have some educated audience members there to ask the hard questions and show that we are concerned and active constituents. Former Exxon CEO Lee Raymond: “I’m not a U.S. company and I don’t make decisions based on what’s good for the U.S.” Californians can change this. Pass AB83!
In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in Citizens United that corporations were actually “an association of citizens,” opening our elections up both to dark money and the influence of the foreign investors who now hold over 40% of all shares in US corporations.
We take the word “citizen” very seriously here in Ventura County. At Swap Meet Justice’s monthly citizenship fair, we know that applicants wait years, and sometime decades, before they can get the help they need to become citizens and to receive the privilege of voting. Foreign investors are using cash to abuse our voting process and increase their profits.Call your state legislators. Tell them that you hope that they are actively supporting it with their fellow legislators as it passes through various committees.
Tuesday – 03/21/2023 – NEW-Santa Barbara! CALABASAS, STUDIO CITY, THOUSAND OAKS – “350 Conejo/San Fernando – Protest the four DIRTY BANKS – Chase, Bank of America, Citibank, Wells Fargo ” (See below for times at location nearest you!)
Check for rain instructions!
- he Commons at Calabasas, 4809 Commons Way
- we meet at the Citibank
- Studio City — 2:30 to 4 pm (https://www.mobilize.us/thirdact/event/550832/)
- Meet at Chase Bank, 12051 Ventura Blvd, NE corner of Ventura and Laurel CynStudio City, CA 91604
- Thousand Oaks — 11 am to 5 pm (https://www.mobilize.us/thirdact/event/551390/)
- S/E Corner Moorpark Road & Janss Road, 1596 N Moorpark Rd Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
- Santa Barbara – 12-2pm (https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/552205/)
- Rally and March starting point Corner State and Anapamu Street, 1100 State Street, Santa Barbara
What will we be doing?https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/552205/
- Holding signs and banners
- Handing out flyers to bank customers & passersby
- Damaging the reputation of these banks in the mind of the public
- Politely giving letters to bank managers, demanding these oily banks cease funding the expansion of the fossil fuel enterprise
Tuesday – 03/21/2023 – Oxnard –”OXNARD AIRPORT Part 150 Noise Study Community Meetings” (5:30 pm – 7:30 pm PST) Courtyard by Marriott, Oxnard-Ventura, 600 E. Esplanade Dr., Oxnard
Wednesday – 03/22/2023 – ONLINE COMMUNITY EVENT – “The Future of DACA: Understanding Permanent Legal Options and Entrepreneurship” (5:00 pm PST)
A federal court in Texas will soon decide whether DACA is unlawful. To prepare, Immigrants Rising and the Immigrant Legal Resource Center are inviting immigrant community members with or without DACA to understand the current lawsuit and how they can thrive without having DACA. This webinar will focus on ensuring that community members learn how to generate income or start a business without work authorization and ascertain more permanent legal options that could lead to citizenship. In an effort to continue empowering our community with the information they need to provide for themselves and their families—regardless of immigration status. Together, we will continue to support one another through these turbulent times!
Register: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Bi71MNaAT6CQKuXYHSjAkgWednesday – 03/22/2023 – OXNARD – “Labor Advocacy Community Forum” (6:00 pm – 7:30 pm PST)
Our labor justice campaign at MICOP will hold a community forum on March 22, 2023, at Cesar Chavez Elementary School in Oxnard. This event will start at 6:00 pm and discuss important topics regarding wage theft. We will provide childcare and language interpretation in Spanish and Mixteco!
Sunday – 03/26/2023 – OXNARD – SWAP MEET JUSTICE – SOCIAL JUSTICE FAIR returns to Oxnard College’s Marketplace on 12/18 from 9:00 am – 3:00! We are located near the gym.
Watch our first video! (Thanks, Julio!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAWKvGUq-l0
New website!: swapmeetjustice.org
Check here for the full list of participating organizations!
- English: https://swapmeetjustice.org/family-resource-fair/
- Español: https://swapmeetjustice.org/recursos-familiares/
Our citizenship fair charges no fees and there are no appointments, or county residency required for assistance on completing applications for citizenship, DACA and green card renewals and voter registration, or for just asking great immigration lawyers questions about your status. We suggest applicants come early before there’s a line! No new applications will be started after 2:00 pm.DON’T FORGET TO DO THIS! Just say “NO!” to Trump-like policies on asylum! Deadline – March 27.
This proposed rule is the equivalent of the courts changing the “right to be presumed innocent” to the “presumption of guilt until proven otherwise.” And it could all hinge on whether a refugee has a working phone. Kit to help you write comments in support of the right to apply for asylum, per U.S. and international law.
To all who’ve promised to never forget…it’s starting again.
We are progressing through stages of suppression and criminalization we would recognize if we were reading about them in a history book. Hundreds of anti-trans bills proposed by GOP-controlled states range from the cruel – access denied to sports teams and restrooms, to the barbaric – forced de-transitioning of both youths and adults, and now to the terroristic – condoning the kidnapping of trans-youth from other states by non-custodial parents. So far, judges have stopped some of the worst, but we cannot depend on that forever. Nor can they stop the rhetorical and physical violence emboldened by this legislation. Please contact your legislators. Tell them to stop this progression to state-sponsored terrorism on the national level.
POST: https://indivisibleventura.org/2023/03/07/to-all-whove-promised-to-never-forget-its-starting-again/OTHER EVENTS THIS WEEK!
- Tuesday – 03/21/2023 – ONLINE –“Tuesday Text Arcades with Field Team 6!” (3:00 pm – 5:00 pm PST) https://www.mobilize.us/togetherweelect/event/546955/
- Tuesday – 03/21/2023 – SPANISH LANGUAGE ONLINE PHONE BANK – “Unidos Llamando: Wisconsin Supreme Court Election” (7:00 pm – 9:00 pm PST) https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/551122/
- Tuesday – 03/21/2023 – ONLINE EVENT – “WFP Tuesday Text Party” (3:00 pm – 5:00 pm PST) https://www.mobilize.us/workingfamilies/event/545747/
- Tuesday – 03/21/2023 – Oxnard –”OXNARD AIRPORT Part 150 Noise Study Community Meetings” (5:30 pm – 7:30 pm PST) Courtyard by Marriott, Oxnard-Ventura, 600 E. Esplanade Dr., Oxnard
- Wednesday – 03/22/2023 – ONLINE PHONE BANK – “Phone Bank for Wisconsin Supreme Court” (3:30 pm – 5:30 pm PST) https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/550797/
- Wednesday – 03/22/2023 – ONLINE TRAINING – “Basic Twitter Skills for Social Storming with Field Team 6!” (11:00 am – 12:00 pm PST) https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/467318/
- Wednesday – 03/15/2023 – ONLINE PHONE BANK – “Make Calls to Voters with Swing Left! (Wisconsin)” (5:00 pm – 7:00 pm PST) https://www.mobilize.us/trnindivisible/event/549074/
- Thursday – 03/23/2023 – SPANISH LANGUAGE ONLINE PHONE BANK – “Unidos Llamando: Wisconsin Supreme Court Election” (7:00 pm – 9:00 pm PST) https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/551122/
- Friday – 03/24/2023 – Simi – “Exhibition begins 03/24/2023 – SIMI VALLEY – ”Auschwitz – Not long ago. Not far away” (Tickets available for purchase now) Ticket sales and more information here: https://www.reaganfoundation.org/library-museum/special-exhibits/auschwitz-exhibition/
- Saturday – 03/25/2023 – ONLINE PHONE BANK – “Phone Bank for Wisconsin Supreme Court” (10:00 am – 12:00 pm PST) https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/550797/
- Saturday – 03/25/2023 – SPANISH LANGUAGE ONLINE PHONE BANK – “Unidos Llamando: Wisconsin Supreme Court Election” (2:00 pm – 4:00 pm PST) https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/551122/
- Saturday – 03/25/2023 – ONLINE PHONE BANK – “Make Calls to Flip the Wisconsin Supreme Court with IndiMarin” (9:30 am – 11:00 am PST) https://www.mobilize.us/indivisible-marin/event/549876/
Please DONATE to the cause!
We are looking for a couple of people who’d be willing to help out on our twitter team for a day or two a week. If you are interested, please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with “TWITTER” in the subject line and our expert twitter wrangler will explain how it all works.
Indivisible Ventura is completely volunteer run and your donation will support the direct costs of organizing in Ventura — things like expenses for Swap Meet Justice, posters, art supplies, stamps, transportation, and more! Although we’ve defeated Trump and taken back the Senate, we have to act urgently to save our democracy and enact other desperately needed reforms. Getting it done depends on all of us. Let’s stand together, indivisible. Indivisible Ventura is one of 6,000 grassroots Indivisible groups across the country. Together, we will win. (https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ven383907253)
The usual caveats…
Keep ahead of us on our calendar scroll here: tinyurl.com/VC-calendar
• If we screw up a link, our apologies. You can find the original post here: tinyurl.com/VC-calendar
• We’re putting up information on local protests and actions by others we’re finding from informal sources.
These listings are not endorsements nor guarantees as to time/place/type of protest or participant safety. Events can and have already been cancelled without notice.
• Check ahead for future events there as well. We often miss morning event postings.
• If we screw up or miss information about an event, please send an email to email@example.com
Copyright © 2023 Indivisible Ventura, All rights reserved.
Hello from Indivisible Ventura! Thanks for signing up!
Our mailing address is:
PO Box 6367
Ventura, Ca 93006
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.