Earthquake relief, Afghan refugees, drilling on Alaska’s North Slope, state-specific issues, and more
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- HELP WITH EARTHQUAKE RELIEF
The earthquake that has devastated Turkiye and Syria will be especially difficult to recover from in those areas already torn by war. The White Helmets, who have saved so many lives in Syria from bombings, are actively engaged in search and rescue. Let’s show them some support and donate to support their efforts.
- NOT ONE PENNY CUT FROM MEDICAID
If Social Security, Medicare, defense and veterans funding are off the table, we would need to slash 85% of all other federal spending to balance the budget within 10 years. This would mean devastating cuts, in particular for the 90 million Americans who rely on Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program. Medicaid hasn’t traditionally been seen as untouchable the way Social Security and Medicare have, and it’s time for that to change. Let’s contact our members of Congress and tell them we expect them to oppose a single cent of Medicaid cuts, just like they would for Medicare and Social Security.
- KEEP OUR PROMISES TO AFGHAN REFUGEES
One major piece of legislation did not make the omnibus at the end of the last Congress: the Afghan Adjustment Act, bipartisan and veteran-backed legislation that would have given nearly 76,000 Afghan refugees who assisted the US during the war an opportunity to get green cards. Now, thanks to objections raised by Chuck Grassley (R-IA), they could be subject to deportation as soon as this summer. Let’s stand by the people who stood by us and tell our members of Congress to make passing this legislation a priority.
- BIDEN STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS TONIGHTThis evening at 9pm EST, President Biden will give his second State of the Union address. Rather than laying out major new policy proposals, Biden was expected to devote much of his speech to highlighting his efforts over the past two years to create jobs, fight inflation and improve the nation’s infrastructure. Apparently, Speaker of the House McCarthy will give a talk on the debt ceiling prior to the President’s address. Let’s listen to both carefully as they will help determine our future steps. If we are not able to locate the State of the Union address in our usual viewing sources, we can check here for options.
- STOP GOP USE OF BLUE SLIPS TO BLOCK JUDGES’ CONFIRMATION
With the House under GOP control, the Senate’s priority now is confirming judges. Under Trump, the GOP confirmed 214 federal judges, including three Supreme Court justices, while President Biden has only confirmed 28 federal judges so far. We have seen the damage a far right judiciary can do, and it is time to correct this imbalance. To counter it, Democrats can push for a change in the use of blue slips, which allows one Senator from a state to block a nomination. Currently, Senate Judiciary Chairman Dick Durbin is using blue slips strictly, but Democrats can call on him to use them as advisory statements, as President Biden did when he chaired the Judiciary committee. This could stop GOP from blocking qualified judges from serving. https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3845909-new-york-times-editorial-board-presses-durbin-to-end-senate-blue-slip-judicial-vetoes/ As Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Dick Durbin is accountable to all of us. We can call the Senate Judiciary Office (202) 224-7703 to tell Senator Durbin to stop letting the GOP use blue slips to block the good judges we need from serving.
- MI-MO-PA-WI: GEN Z VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Gen Z turned out in great force for the midterm election and will remain a voting power. Voters of Tomorrow. a Gen Z-led movement that engages, educates, and represents youth in politics, is looking for Gen Z organizers in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Montana, and Michigan. If we are interested, we are to DM @santiagomayer_on Twitter.
- VA: CALLS TO ACTION: Bills are pending in the Virginia legislature that cover everything from public education to guns to climate issues and more. The progressive organization Virginia Grassroots has compiled a list of bills to contact state legislators about. If we’re in Virginia, let’s take a look and get started: https://www.virginiagrassroots.org/action-calls-to-action.php
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.