Applications Now Accepted for CCDP Chair/Vice Chair
The CCDP nominating committee is seeking applicants who are interested in serving as the next CCDP Chair or Vice Chair. If you wish to serve in one of these positions, please select the Button below. Applicants are encouraged to submit a one-page resume or brief description of why they want to serve as Chair or Vice Chair.
- The application window will open today, February 1st, and close on February 15th.
- The nominating committee will share its recommendations prior to the Charleston County Convention.
As a reminder the First Vice Chair shall be of a gender different from the Chair, the Second Vice Chair shall be of a race different from the Chair, and the Third Vice Chair shall be between the ages of 18 and 36 years of age. These officers shall be residents and voters in Charleston County and serve a two-year term.
Reminder: School Board Special Election Next Week
You can click on the following link to see if you are in District 6, or visit scvotes.gov to confirm you live in an eligible precinct:
This special election is being held on Feb 7 in parts of West Ashley and North Charleston to fill the Charleston County School Board’s vacant District 6 seat. While elections for the School Board are non-partisan, one of the candidates has been endorsed by ultra-conservative groups like the “1776 Project” and “Moms for Liberty”. Eligible voters in Charleston County School Board District 6 are encouraged to vote for a candidate that represents their values in education.
The special election will take place on Feb 7 at local polling locations, but Early Voting is also available M-F from Jan 23 through Feb 3 at the Charleston County Voter Registration Office in North Charleston.
Have you planned out how and when you are going to vote on Feb. 7? Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., and you can find your polling location by following the button below.
Be sure to bring one of the following Photo IDs to the polls:
- SC Driver’s License
- SC Department of Motor Vehicles ID Card
- SC Voter Registration Card with Photo
- Federal Military ID
- US Passport
You are also encouraged to save the SCDP’s Voter Protection Hotline number (855-785-0222) as a contact in your phone.
The Charleston County Democratic Party is not making an endorsement or recommendation for the District 6 special election between Daron Lee Calhoun II and Lee Runyon. You can click on the following links to go to webpages for the two candidates:
What Are Some Democratic Positions on Education?
The Charleston County Democratic Party is not making an endorsement or recommendation for the District 6 special election. However, here are a few Democratic platforms on education that you can judge candidates or Board members by:
- We support public education because it is a pillar of our democratic society. Schools should be subject to democratic control by their communities, parents should be involved in decisions about their children, and students’ confidential information should not be handed over to entrepeneurs and marketing agents. Students should be offered a full and rich curriculum, including in the arts, physical education, history, civics, foreign languages, mathematics, and the sciences.
- We support teachers and other professionals in our schools. Teachers should be supported as professionals when they make decisions about curriculum, teaching methods and selection of teaching materials. Every classroom should be led by a well-prepared, well-educated, and certified teacher, and assessments should be used to support children and teachers – not to punish them or hand out monetary awards.
- We support equitable funding of schools. Students with the greatest needs should receive extra resources, and we want schools to have the full range of resources that their students require: guidance counselors, social workers, librarians, and psychologists. Every school needs to have reasonable class sizes, and we support early childhood education and wraparound services for students (such as health clinics and after-school programs).
Folly Beach Special Election
The City of Folly Beach will also be holding a referendum vote on Feb 7. Voters in Folly Beach will be able to decide whether to limit short-term rentals in the community. Folly Beach voters can Vote Early M-F from Jan 23 through Feb 3 at the Charleston County Voter Registration Office in North Charleston, and the special election will take place on Feb 7 at Baptist Fellowship Hall in Folly Beach.
|Charleston County Democratic Women February Meeting|
Our guest speaker will be Dr. Lisa Ross with the Lowcountry Period Project. This group donates menstrual hygiene products to over 100 facilities monthly including schools, shelters, resettled refugees, food banks, free medical clinics etc.We will be collecting donations, and checks or cash donations will be happily accepted.As an organization we will also write letters to our SC legislators to have them support the purchase of these supplies tax free and provide them in schools for the girls.
RSVP Here>CCDP Office>
|School Board District 6 Special Election T|
his election will fill the vacant School Board seat in District 6, which covers parts of West Ashley and North Charleston. Click on the following link to see if your home falls within District 6, or you can visit scvotes.gov to confirm whether you live in the following eligible precincts:St Andrews 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 15, 18, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 33, 36 & 37North Charleston 18, 20, 21, 22 & 23The special election will take place on Feb 7 at local polling locations, but Early Voting is also available M-F from Jan 23 through Feb 3 at the Charleston County Voter Registration Office in North Charleston.
Early Vote Here>Find Your Feb 7 Voting Location>
|Folly Beach Referendum Election |
The City of Folly Beach will be holding a referendum vote to decide whether to limit short-term rentals in the community. Residents of the City of Folly Beach can Vote Early M-F from Jan 23 through Feb 3 at the Charleston County Voter Registration Office in North Charleston, and the special election will take place on Feb 7 at Baptist Fellowship Hall in Folly Beach.
Early Vote Here>Baptist Fellowship Hall – Feb 7 Voting Location>
|Charleston County Democratic Party Monthly Meeting|
Join us for our monthly meeting at the Charleston County Democratic Party headquarters located at 1379 Ashley River Rd, Charleston, SC 29407 at 6:30 P.M.A hybrid option for this meeting is being offered. Once you register via mobilize a zoom link will be emailed to you to join virtually.
RSVP Here>CCDP Office>
|James Island/Folly Beach Democrats — February Meeting|
Join us on February 20th at the James Island Town Hall (sign in and social time at 6:00; meeting starts at 6:30)
Our primary topic for the month is Party Organization from the precinct level to the State Convention and everything in between.
This will also be our last meeting before the March 12th Oyster Roast and we will need everyone’s help to make this another successful fundraiser and a heck of a good time.
RSVP Here>James Island Town Hall>
|Coffee with Democrats|
Join fellow Democrats for a cup of coffee and great conversation on Thursdays.at Wildflour Pastry from 8:30-10 AM. No specific topics. Come for the whole time or just a little while.
Blessing Box Donations Needed!
Please consider donating to our CCDP Blessing Box. You can #StockTheBox at any time, or drop off items to the office during office hours or by appointment. Our community members appreciate and depend on our kindness!
A few things to remember when donating Blessing Box items:
- DO donate non-perishable items that will hold up in the weather
- example: canned vegetables and meats/fish, sauces in jars, boxes of rice or pasta
- protip: donate items that don’t require milk/butter/oil to prepare, get cans with pop-tops that don’t require can openers
- DO donate small personal care items that will fit in the blessing box
- example toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant,
- DO NOT donate any open or expired items.
Lowcountry Period Project Supplies Needed!
Did you know that our volunteers build period packs in support of the Homeless Period Project? The project provides pre-made kits for homeless shelters and nurse’s offices at Title IX schools in the Lowcountry. These items are a luxury to homeless women and girls and many are forced to choose between hygiene and food. Please consider donating the following items so we can continue to support this amazing project!
-individually-wrapped feminine pads
-individually-wrapped panty liners
Thanks again for your generosity!
Email email@example.com to arrange a drop off time.
This newsletter is intended to provide local information that impacts the Democratic Party. Please let us know if you’d like to see anything else. We’d love your input.
BUY SOME MERCHANDISE TO SUPPORT CCDP!
Please support CCDP (and help elect Democrats) by buying one of our t-shirts, water bottles, Koozies, bags, and pint glasses!
BUY SOME COOL STUFF & SUPPORT CCDP
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.