February 4 Meeting and Program
Breaking Down Barriers: The Importance of African American Firsts
In celebration of Black History Month, the WCDP is pleased to present special guests who will share with us their journeys of becoming the First African American in their chosen Profession.
- Sheriff Jerry L. Clayton Washtenaw County’s first and only African American Sheriff and the first and only of the 5 County-wide electeds
- Arianne Slay, the WC first African American woman to be elected (not appointed) county wide and the only current African American Circuit Court judge
- Justin Hodge, the first African American male Chair of the WC Board of Commissioners
- Nicole Brown, the first elected African American mayor of Ypsilanti City
Please join us on February 4, 2022 at 9:30am via Zoom at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86796010349
More at our website.
ICYMI, Governor Whitmer’s State of the State
Last night Governor Whitmer laid out an ambitious agenda in the 2023 State of the State address, including plans to
- repeal the retirement tax
- boost the Working Families Tax Credit
- deliver pre-K for all, so every kid gets a great start
- repeal the state’s 1931 abortion ban and other outdated laws restricting people’s ability to control their own bodies and restricting who they can marry
- expand the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act to include legal protections for the LGBTQ+ community
- and much, much more
Watch the entire address on YouTube
2023 MDP Spring Convention
February 11 @ 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
The Michigan Democratic Party will be holding its 2023 Spring Convention on February 11, 2023 at Huntington Place in Detroit.
There will be a 6th Congressional District Caucus Meeting in the morning before the statewide meetings at Huntington Place.
To vote at the Spring Convention, you must be a Democratic Party member at least 30 days prior to the Convention (Feb. 11). At the Spring Convention during the 6th Caucus, we will be having elections for leadership of the 6th Congressional District Club and the State Central members. If you seek to run for Chair or Vice Chair of the 6th Congressional District Club, you must declare your desire to run with MDP at least 30 days prior to the Spring Convention.
For more information see the Call to Convention.
Learn about innovative political messaging tools!
Join our friend Chuck Newman via Zoom on January 29 at 7:30p.m. for a conversation with Deepak Puri, co-founder and CEO of The Democracy Labs, a nonprofit hub that applies innovative technologies and expertise with progressive causes and campaigns. What does new technology mean for the future of politics? Log on to find out!
Register for this FREE virtual event!
BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Help a standing committee throughout the year, work on campaigns, or pitch in where you like!
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.