Five Republicans, new refugee program, “green” natural gas?, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- ALL IT TAKES IS FIVE REPUBLICAN REPRESENTATIVESDemocrats in the US House can pass legislation if they (1) stick together, and (2) get at least five Republican representatives to vote with them. There are 16 House Republicans representing districts who voted for President Biden in 2020, and 3 whose districts voted for Trump by the thinnest of margins. If we are in these districts, let’s contact our Republican House reps and tell them to vote to raise the debt ceiling and reject the dangerous brinksmanship of a government shutdown.
- NEW REFUGEE SPONSORSHIP PROGRAMIn a new program announced yesterday, private American citizens will now be able to help the plight of refugees. Called the Welcome Corp, this program “will allow groups of private American citizens and permanent residents to financially sponsor the resettlement of refugees fleeing war and violence across the world.” State Dept. Secretary Blinken called it, “the boldest innovation in refugee resettlement in four decades.” Let’s click here to learn more and sign up
- XBB.1.5 STRAIN OF COVID IS BECOMING MORE PREVALENTNew York City’s Health Dept. says that the “XBB.1.5 is now responsible for 73% of all COVID cases sequenced in New York City.” Various reports show that the strain is quickly traveling to other states as well. The Biden administration has once again extended the Covid-19 public health emergency as this new wave emerges. The People’s CDC, “a coalition of public health practitioners, scientists, healthcare workers, educators, advocates, and people from all walks of life working to reduce the harmful impacts of COVID-19,” has published a short and long guide to what to do if you get COVID. Let’s read these resources, bookmark them, and share with others.
- “GREEN” NATURAL GAS IN OHIO? Without public input, Mike DeWine (R), governor of Ohio, signed House Bill 507 this month and legally redefined natural gas as a “green energy” source—like water, wind, and solar—because it has lower carbon dioxide emissions than coal and despite the fact that natural gas “is primarily methane. . . a greenhouse gas whose global warming potential is 86 times greater than carbon dioxide over a 20-year period”. The Empowerment Alliance (TEA), a dark money group tied to the gas industry, and the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) together pushed the narrative of “clean” gas in Ohio and plan to target other energy-rich states, like Texas, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia—hoping to get similar legislation passed and to gain signatories to the “Declaration of Energy Independence,” which basically declares “clean” gas an American “birthright” and has already garnered the signatures of House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA). Let’s keep a sharp eye out for this legislation in our state and let Mike DeWine know that we’ve noticed. We can reach him at 614-644-4357 OR 614 West Superior Ave., 12TH FL., Cleveland, OH 44113-1187.
- STAY UPDATED ON THE FIGHT FOR ABORTION RIGHTSThe forced birther movement has gotten Roe overturned and they are pushing to further restrict basic rights, whether by increasingly targeting women with criminal charges, cracking down on access to abortion pills or seeking a national ban. As they march in Washington today, let’s pledge to stay in the fight for abortion rights, starting with staying up to date with the latest by subscribing to Jessica Valenti’s free Abortion, Every Day newsletter.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.