Meet your new members, fight the book banners, register voters and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- 118th CONGRESS BEGINS TODAYAs we begin this new session of Congress, let’s get to know the new members. Let’s also celebrate the increased diversity in both houses. Now is the time to get our legislators’ contact info in our phones and in our address books because we will be using them a lot in the next two years.
- LEARN HOW TO STAND UP TO BOOK BANNERS JANUARY 5THIf we’re tired of book bans being pushed in our schools and communities, Red Wine and Blue, an anti-extremist organization of suburban women in swing districts, is here to help. We can check out their Trouble Maker Training this Thursday at 7:30 ET to find out ways to fight back and win! In this training, we can find out how to effectively get people on board and make a difference in our communities. We’ll discuss tactics and strategies for making our voices heard, standing up to book banners and making a change! We can click here to sign up for Trouble Maker Training this Thursday, January 5, 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM ET and learn how to stand up to the “anti-everything” crowd.
- MOBILIZE FOR ACTION ON JANUARY 6THWith the second anniversary of the insurrection coming up Friday, our democracy remains under threat – from coup plotters having not yet been held accountable, reactionaries who continue to push laws that limit our right to vote and allow them to hijack our elections, and now from a Republican House that’s threatening to undermine the work of the January 6th Committee. A coalition of pro-democracy groups is preparing to launch the next phase of the fight with a national day of action to mark January 6th. Let’s check out their website and find an event we can attend, or get in touch with the coalition to host our own.
- ADVOCATE FOR A JUDICIARY FOR THE PEOPLE
Lawyers, corporations, and special interests who donate $5,000 or more to a charity called the Supreme Court Historical Society get special access to the justices of the Supreme Court. Dark money is fueling efforts to influence the Court to end affirmative action, upend discrimination protections, and empower states to oversee federal elections with impunity. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) regularly files legislation intended to ensure fair access to our federal courts. Let’s tell our Senators that we want reforms that will ensure that the Supreme Court and federal judiciary are influenced only by the Constitution and merits of the cases before them, and to work closely with Senator Whitehouse to pass legislation to end the dark money regime and require judges and justices to abide by a strict code of conduct.
- REGISTER DEMOCRATS IN ADVANCE OF THE OFF-YEAR ELECTIONSWe have big votes coming up this year in Wisconsin (state Supreme Court election is April 4, 2023), Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Virginia, and New Jersey (November 2023). Field Team 6 needs volunteers to urge likely Democrats to register to vote in these states and elsewhere. Let’s check out the volunteer opportunities and start helping!
- CORRECTION: SUPPORT CONSTITUTIONAL CHAMPION JAMIE RASKINLast week, Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) announced he has been diagnosed with a serious but curable form of cancer, and will soon begin chemo-immunotherapy. Thanks to those of you who pointed out that you can only email him your best wishes from the link we posted yesterday if you’re in-district! We can also send supportive notes to his DC office by mail at 2242 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.