Midterms Are Nov. 8 – Let’s Get to Work
Whoa, Midterm Elections are NEXT MONTH. If you’ve been meaning to get active, now is the time to step up to defend our democracy… and defeat the GOP – the party that cares only about the top 1%.
The Democratic Congress can deliver what we, the people, want. And now WE need to turn our full attention to electing Democratic candidates who will fight for our rights and protect our well-being and out freedoms. Find your way to act with Indivisible Chicago Alliance.
Knock Doors with Us for Key IL Districts
Join your Indivisible Chicago-South Side (IC-SS) friends this month to make sure Lauren Underwood and Sean Casten hold their seats in Congress.
Sun. Oct. 16: Lauren Underwood Needs YOU
On Sunday, October 16th,help send Lauren Underwood back to Congress! Indivisible Chicago-South Side joins Indivisible Downtown Chicago and Indivisible Chicago Alliance (ICA), heading to Joliet to introduce new parts of the 14th district to Lauren Underwood.
To win, Lauren needs these voters to come out in November. Sign up here!
Indivisible canvassers with Rep Lauren Underwood this summer – join us Oct 16!
We’ll help arrange 11:00 am carpools from Chicago, or you can go straight to Joliet and meet us at Rep Underwood’s HQ at noon. Either way, we’ll pair you with a veteran canvasser if this is your first time or you need a refresher. Sign up here to canvass with us on Sunday, October 16.
Thanks to Sean Casten Canvassers!
Shout-out to all who knocked doors on Chicago’s Southwest Side yesterday for Sean Casten. Since redistricting, 80% of the 6th district is new to Sean, so we helped voters learn all about him.
Thanks to IC-SS Co-leader and ICA Board Member Sarah Lincoln (below, at right) for organizing!
IC-South Side canvassers were among a dozen volunteers knocking doors for Sean CastenNext steps:
- Sign up directly to volunteer with the Sean Casten campaign.
- Sign up to canvass on Sun Oct. 16 for Congresswoman Lauren Underwood, another US Rep who needs our help getting out the word.
- Find many ways to help these or other campaigns with training & support from Indivisible Chicago Alliance
Write Letters to Voters – Tomorrow & Later!
- What: Vote Forward Letter Parties – Join with us to sip, nibble, and write letters to voters in critical states and Illinois districts.
- When: Tomorrow – Thursday, October 27
- Where: The Nile outdoor patio, 1162 E 55th St.
- Details: Indivisible Chicago-South Side provides appetizers for the table. Attendees order & pay for their own entrees to support the Nile. You are invited to bring along wine/beer. Dress for outdoor dining!
- RSVP: Fill in this form to register.
- These October parties are the LAST letter-writing sessions before the Big Send, when we’ll mail off the letters in time for voters to receive them before the Nov 8 midterm elections.
- If the patio closes for the season, we’ll inform everyone who signs up and provide an alternate meeting space in Hyde Park.
- Please RSVP so we have your contact info. Thank you!
Join your IC-SS friends on Thursday, Oct. 27th
Get Vote Forward Letters to Work On Anytime
IC-SS member Lizzie Cooke has been busy writing Vote Forward letters to voters from her home. She sent us this pic of the massive box of envelopes she’ll need to send off her letters on the date of the Big Send (Oct 29).
Be like Lizzie. Sign up with Vote Forward, choose a state, then download and print your own letters to work on at home. For our Vote Forward parties, you can bring your own letters printed out via your free Vote Forward account OR work on letters that mentor Steve Kagan brings for you to complete.
The Big Send – Oct 29
So, when do we mail our Vote Forward letters? Nationwide, Vote Forward’s Big Send is Saturday, October 29. You can mail your Vote Forward letters that day on your own, or you can join with us to Parade to the Post Office. More info coming soon!
Wisconsin is the front line in the fight for democracy. And Michigan matters too. You can make a difference in our neighboring states – by traveling to nearby districts OR volunteering from your own home.
So close to Michigan & Wisconsin, we can wave. Help our neighbors save democracy.
- Canvass in Wisconsin & Michigan on weekends. Knock doors, talk to voters face to face, with Indivisible Chicago Alliance (ICA) organizers & volunteers. Big impact!
- Phone Wisconsin & Michigan voters on Michigan Mondays & Wisconsin Wednesdays. From your home, join ICA on Zoom and encourage Democratic voters to get out and vote. You get training, constant support, and time to share your experiences.
- Phone Wisconsin voters on Saturdays. From your home, join Indivisible Illinois organizers on Zoom & call voters. Included: Training, support, camaraderie!
- NOTE: Opportunities are always being added, so check back frequently if you don’t yet see what you’re looking for. And feel free to volunteer directly with WisDems.
Midterm Elections: It’s Time to Vote!
This month, we’re laser focused on getting out the vote … but let’s remember to cast our own ballots. Chicagoans can vote NOW.
Want to see YOUR sample ballot? If you’re a registered voter in Chicago, just fill in the Chicago Board of Elections form here, and when your info opens up, click on the Sample Ballot tab.
Chicago, Vote in Person, Now Through Nov 8
Early voting has already begun – at two downtown Chicago locations! As of October 7th, residents of the city of Chicago can vote – early, in person – at the Supersite (191 N. Clark) or the Board of Elections Office (69 W. Washington). And, starting October 24, Chicago voters can choose among dozens of early voting sites.
Do your voting early – and feel good! Get ALL the Chicago early voting info here.
Vote early in person – now through Nov 8. All info here.
Chicago, Vote by Mail
Why vote by mail in Chicago?
- Easy & unpressured – Fill out your ballot from the comfort of your couch, with plenty of time to check your phone or laptop for info on candidates and referendums. No lines!
- Convenient – Use the postage-paid envelope to mail in your ballot or drop your ballot in a nearby drop box.
- Peace of mind – Get an email acknowledgment once your mail ballot is received, and know you’re done – no worries that a last-minute snafu will upset your voting plans.
Chicago vote by mail – all info hereChicago voters can still sign up to vote by mail in the November 8 election only… or permanently in the Nov 8 election AND all elections. If you’ve already signed up to vote by mail, you should receive your ballot soon.
Chicago, Voting on November 8
While we encourage early voting in person or voting by mail, we know some folks will cast their ballots on Election Day (Tuesday, November 8). Ultimately, however you vote is the best way for you!
Be aware that Chicago polling places are changing. If you’re a registered voter in Chicago, get all your voter information – including your new polling place – by filling in a quick online form here.
Live Outside Chicago?
Oct 17, 5:30: Our Freedoms, Our Vote Rally
October 17th – join us to rally at Federal Plaza. Info here.
Trump and MAGA Republicans engaged in a violent criminal conspiracy to overturn an election they lost. They’ve shown they’ll break the law and engage in violence in order to gain and stay in power. They must be held accountable.
Those who continue to support Trump’s behavior are using their power to take away our freedoms and fundamental rights including reproductive rights, marriage equality, separation of church and state, gun safety, and more.
This is wrong. In America, voters decide elections.
We demand accountability for Jan 6 and the ongoing attacks on our freedoms. We must protect our elections – the voters, the election officials and a free and fair process.
Join us with the Indivisible Chicago Alliance to rally on Monday Oct 17th, the national day of action for #OurFreedomsOurVote: Monday, October 17th, 5:30 pm, Federal Plaza. Get info/sign up here.
Organizations & Opportunities
Indivisible Chicago-South Side shares opportunities to make a difference in key Illinois districts and in other battleground states. Join the efforts!
Vote for the Workers’ Rights Amendment – Nov 8
Are you an Illinois voter? You can protect the lives and well-being of workers in our state. In the November 8 election, vote YES for the Workers’ Rights Amendment!
Vote for the Workers’ Rights Amendment on Election Day!
The Workers’ Rights Amendment will add language to the Illinois constitution guaranteeing employees the fundamental right to organize and collectively bargain for fair wages, meaningful benefits, and worker safety.
Read this WBEZ story on the amendment and get info at the Workers’ Rights Amendment advocacy website. Vote for the Workers’ Rights Amendment, and tell your friends!
Chicago Turned Out for Abortion Rights
Chicago Indivisibles joined a coalition of organizations demanding reproductive rights
On Saturday, October 8th, Chicago showed up to defend abortion rights and reproductive freedom in Illinois and the USA. May the voices in the street inspire our work to get out the vote for the election.
SUBSCRIBE: Did someone forward this newsletter to you? If you’d like to subscribe and get our newsletter every Monday morning, click here to subscribe.
SUGGEST: Got an event or resource to suggest for the newsletter? Email us here.
Indivisible Chicago-South Side
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.