IC-SS Weekly Update: Sept 27, 2022
Join Us This Thursday at the Nile!
Join your IC-SS friends at the Nile on Thursday, Sept 29!
Do your part to get out the vote – and socialize with friendly folks!
- What: Vote Forward Letter Party Join us to sip, nibble, & write letters to voters in critical states and Illinois districts.
- When: This Thursday, Sept 29, 6:00-8:30 pm
- Where: The Nile outdoor patio,1162 E. 55th St.
- Food: Indivisible Chicago-South Side provides appetizers for the table. Attendees order & pay for their own entrees to support the Nile. You are invited to bring along wine/beer.
- RSVP: Fill in this form to register.
SAVE THE DATES: Our October Vote Forward parties are scheduled for Tuesday, October 11th and Thursday, October 29th. (Note the different days of the week!) Mark your calendars.
Note: You can sign up with Vote Forward, choose a state, then download and print your own letters to work on at home. For our Vote Forward parties, you can bring your own letters printed out via your free Vote Forward account OR work on letters that mentor Steve Kagan brings for you to complete.
Win Wisconsin & Michigan!
Wisconsin is the front line in the fight for democracy. And Michigan matters too. You can make a difference in our neighboring states – by traveling to nearby districts OR volunteering from your own home.
So close to Michigan & Wisconsin, we can wave. Help our neighbors save democracy.
- Canvass in Wisconsin & Michigan on weekends. Knock doors, talk to voters face to face, with Indivisible Chicago Alliance (ICA) organizers & volunteers. Big impact!
- Phone Wisconsin & Michigan voters on Michigan Mondays & Wisconsin Wednesdays. From your home, join ICA on Zoom and encourage Democratic voters to get out and vote. You get training, constant support, and time to share your experiences.
- Phone Wisconsin voters on Saturdays. From your home, join Indivisible Illinois organizers on Zoom & call voters. Included: Training, support, camaraderie!
- NOTE: Opportunities are always being added, so check these links frequently if you don’t yet see what you’re looking for.
Keep IL Blue with Underwood & Casten
Democrats Lauren Underwood and Sean Casten must hold onto their seats in Congress if we want the House to stay blue. Both reps are working to get the word out to their new constituents. Due to redistricting, 70% of the 14th District is new to Rep Underwood and 80% of the 6th District is new to Rep Casten. Help these districts get to know the candidates!
Oct 9: Join Us in Nathan Hale Park for Rep Casten
On Sunday, October 9th, help send Sean Casten back to Congress! We’re going to Nathan Hale Park to introduce new parts of the 6th district to Sean Casten. To win, Sean needs them to come out in November. Sign up here!
Sean will join us to kick off our canvass at 2pm, and we will be knocking on doors on the southwest side of Chicago. We will arrange carpools, and pair you with a veteran canvasser if this is your first time or you need a refresher. Sign up here to canvass with us on Sunday, October 9.
Oct 16: Join Us in Joliet for Rep Underwood
On Sunday, October 16th,help send Lauren Underwood back to Congress! We’re going to Joliet to introduce new parts of the 14th district to Lauren Underwood. To win, Lauren needs them to come out in November. Sign up here!
Indivisible canvassers this summer – join us Oct 16!
We’ll help arrange 11:00 am carpools from Chicago, or you can go straight to Joliet and meet us at Rep Underwood’s HQ at noon. Either way, we’ll pair you with a veteran canvasser if this is your first time or you need a refresher. Sign up here to canvass with us on Sunday, October 16.
ACT for Sean Casten & Lauren Underwood
- Canvass on Sun, Oct 9. Sign up to knock doors with us for Sean Casten.
- Canvass on Sun, Oct 16. Sign up to knock doors with us for Lauren Underwood (see above).
- Phone voters. From your home, join ICA on Zoom and let voters know about the candidates – you get training & friendly support.
- Text voters. From home, join ICA via Zoom; use your own device to reach voters.
- NOTE: Check back often – more actions will be added soon. You can also volunteer directly with the campaigns: Sean Casten and Lauren Underwood.
Have you considered canvassing? Studies show us that canvassing is our #1 campaign tool. Learn where, when, why and how to knock doors ahead of the Midterm elections.
Indivisible Illinois Community Collaborative Hosted by the VBM Taskforce with canvassing experts Reid McCollum & Rose Colacino on Wednesday, September 28 at 7:30 pm. Sign up here!
DOOR-TO-DOOR CANVASSING: A study on MoveOn GOTV operations found that turnout increased by approximately 9 percentage points!
Join us on Wednesday, September 28 as Reid and Rose cover the collaborative, impactful and fun action of canvassing! You will be equipped with follow-up actions that you take ASAP to make that happen!
IL Supreme Court & Abortion Rights
The Illinois Supreme Court matters. To begin with, it can determine what happens with abortion access and reproductive rights. If we lose the Illinois Supreme Court, Illinois could lose abortion rights and reproductive freedom. The IL Supreme Court districts in play are Districts 2 & 3, which do not include Cook County – but you can still help!
November 8 will be the most consequential election ever for reproductive rights in Illinois, according to Personal PAC, a partner in Jane’s Army.
LEARN & ACT
- Read WBEZ story on IL Supreme Court races
- Take these actions offered by Jane’s Army:
- Tell your friends and family in suburban or other Illinois counties to vote for IL Supreme Court justice when they cast their ballots for November 8:
Organizations & Opportunities
Indivisible Chicago-South Side shares opportunities to make a difference in key Illinois districts and in other battleground states. Join the efforts!
Abortion Rights Rally/March: Sat, Oct 8
Abortion & Full Reproductive Rights National Day of Action! Defend abortion rights and reproductive freedom in Illinois and the USA.
On Saturday, October 8th at noon, join Chicago for Abortion Rights, Indivisible Chicago Alliance, and a coalition of organizations for a rally and march at Federal Plaza, 219 S. Dearborn. Get more info at the Facebook Event.
SUBSCRIBE: Did someone forward this newsletter to you? If you’d like to subscribe and get our newsletter every Monday morning, click here to subscribe.
SUGGEST: Got an event or resource to suggest for the newsletter? Email us here.
Indivisible Chicago-South Side
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.