Election Day, November 8, 2022
An Ode We Owe
by Amanda Gorman
To anyone out there:
I only ask that you care before it’s too late,
That you live aware and awake,
That you lead with love in hours of hate.
I challenge you to heed this call,
I dare you to shape our fate.
Above all, I dare you to do good
So that the world might be great
Go HERE to listen to Amanda Gorman’s poem to the UN.
This week the New York Times reported a study that ranks New Hampshire 50th (right below Mississippi) as a state where voters face the highest personal cost in terms of the time and effort required to get and stay registered to vote and cast a ballot. New Hampshire Public Radio recently reported how a town Supervisor of the Checklist made the arbitrary decision to send a letter out to all 25 to 35 year-old-voters telling them they would be removed from the checklist unless they proved their domicile status. The Secretary of State pointed out that this action did not follow state law.
- Join us in making calls to recruit poll observers and voter assistance hotline volunteers. These volunteers are essential to ensuring voters who need help get it! Sign up for a training here, and then join us on any Sunday PowerHour from now until the election.
Let’s build on the success of last week’s fundraiser that put nearly $200,000 into the hands of two grassroots organizations turning out the rural Black vote in northeastern North Carolina. Between now and November, we’ll add to their on-the-ground efforts by calling from a list of 15,000 progressive voters in this same region—voters who may not vote, 80% of whom are Black. Our calls can help Democrats keep control of the U.S. House and Senate, win races for the state legislature, maintain their majority on the State Supreme Court, and preserve reproductive, voting, and civil rights in North Carolina.
- New phone bankers are asked to take an initial training with All In for NC any Sunday at 6 pm. Newly trained and experienced phone bankers can make these calls any day of the week, including during Lean Left’s Sunday Power Hours. Read more with this Introduction, then sign up HERE for training or HERE for Sunday PowerHours.
Wisconsin & Pennsylvania
These states have critical races up and down the ballot. If you are interested in working on either of these states, you can select one of the actions on our website, or please fill out this interest form.
Fund the Movement
September Beneficiary: New Hampshire
Building Power at the Local Level
“A huge weakness in American liberalism right now is the obsession with national politics, which has led to ceding huge amounts of state and local power to the right.”
—Ezra Klein, “Democrats Chase Shiny Objects” Podcast
Why is the House of Representatives so important?
- The House selects the Secretary of State, the person who oversees elections.
- The House is currently dominated by the far-right, whose legislative agenda is out of step with NH voters: ban abortion, use public tax dollars for private education, restrict history curriculum, use “teacher loyalty” oaths, defund family planning and public health services, and ignore climate change.
In 2020, the New Hampshire Dems lost the House of Representatives by 1,316 votes. Regaining control is critical and DOABLE!
This month Lean Left Vermont is supporting two exciting New Hampshire campaigns to help make this happen.
- New Hampshire Young Democrats recruit, train, and help elect the next generation of progressive leaders. Since 2018, they have helped over 225 young candidates run for office; 156 of these young leaders went on to serve or are currently serving in elected positions across the state.
- New Hampshire House Dems Victory Committee is executing a targeted campaign to gain at least 17 seats in the House. In 2020, the closest races that kept Democrats from holding the majority were determined by just 754 votes, an average of 53 votes per race.
The money you donate will go a long way in helping candidates in local races take back the House of Representatives. Helping down-ballot candidates will help those at the top of the ticket!
Or contribute through your Giving Circle!
Lean Left Vermont has raised more than $325,000 since 2017!
To learn about the campaign in New Hampshire click here!
Check the Website for More Events!!
Lean Left Office Hours, every Friday at 3 pm. Questions about PowerHours or our recommended text/phone banks? Which action should you choose? Need tech help or a refresher on the calling/texting tools we’ll be using? We have Office Hours for just this reason! Use this link to drop in.
We can’t lose the U.S. House.
Join U.S. House Representatives Chris Pappas and Annie Kuster at Win Blue New Hampshire on Sunday, September 18, from 4:30 to 5:30. Both Congress members are in competitive races rated “toss-ups” by Cook Political Report. We need to defend their seats to ensure congress remains in Democratic control. In these very close races, every dollar will count!! A contribution is greatly appreciated (though not required) to attend the meeting. SIGN UP HERE.
Every Sunday between now and November 8, we’ll be making calls together at the Lean Left PowerHour. Show up anytime between 3 and 5 pm, then spend an hour working with other like-minded activists. If you only have one hour per week to dedicate to strengthening our democracy, PowerHour is the place for you! Here’s how it works.
Good Trouble Cafes + Giving Circles
Add Up to a Stronger Movement
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.