IC-SS Weekly Update: Sept 20, 2022
Election Day Is Coming. It’s Go Time.
In less than 2 months, Election Day will be here. Won’t you join us?
The Democratic Congress can deliver what we, the people, want. And now WE need to turn our full attention to electing Democratic candidates who will protect our freedoms and fight for our rights.
Keep Illinois Blue – And Congress TooDemocrats Lauren Underwood and Sean Casten must hold onto their seats in Congress if we want the House to stay blue. Both reps are working to get the word out to their new constituents. Due to redistricting, 70% of the 14th District is new to Rep Underwood and 80% of the 6th District is new to Rep Casten. Help these districts get to know the candidates!
Oct 16: Join Us in Joliet for Rep Underwood
On Sunday, October 16th, help send Lauren Underwood back to Congress! We’re going to Joliet to introduce new parts of the 14th district to Lauren Underwood. To win, Lauren needs them to come out in November. Sign up here!
Canvassers from Indivisible Chicago-South Side last month
We’ll help arrange 11:00 am carpools from Chicago, or you can go straight to Joliet and meet us at Rep Underwood’s HQ at noon. Either way, we’ll pair you with a veteran canvasser if this is your first time or you need a refresher. Sign up here to canvass with us on Sunday, October 16.
ACT for Sean Casten & Lauren Underwood
- Canvass on Sun, Oct 16. Sign up to knock doors with us for Lauren Underwood (see above).
- Phone voters. From your home, join ICA on Zoom and let voters know about the candidates – you get training & friendly support.
- Text voters. From home, join ICA via Zoom; use your own device to reach voters.
- NOTE: Check back soon – Casten actions will be added soon. You can also volunteer directly with the campaigns: Sean Casten and Lauren Underwood.
Wisconsin is the front line in the fight for democracy. You can make a difference in our neighboring state – by traveling to nearby Wisconsin districts OR volunteering from your own home.
Make a difference in Wisconsin: Help Gov Tony Evers & Mandela Barnes win!
- Canvass on weekends. Knock doors, talk to voters face to face, with Indivisible Chicago Alliance (ICA) organizers & volunteers. The most impactful way to spread the word!
- Phone voters on Wisconsin Wednesdays. From your home, join ICA on Zoom and encourage Democratic Wisconsin voters to get out and vote. You get training, constant support, and time to share your experiences.
- Phone voters on Saturdays. From your home, join Indivisible Illinois organizers on Zoom. Included: Training, support, camaraderie!
- You can also volunteer directly with WisDems from your home or in Wisconsin.
In Michigan, we can help win three Congressional races rated as toss-ups that will help determine whether the U.S. House remains in the hands of Democrats. You can make a difference in our neighboring state – by traveling to nearby Michigan districts OR by volunteering from your own home.
Make a difference in Michigan!
- Canvass on weekends. Knock doors, talk to voters face to face, along with Indivisible Chicago Alliance (ICA) organizers & volunteers.
- Phone voters on Michigan Mondays. From your home, join ICA on Zoom and encourage Michigan Democratic voters to get out and vote. You get training, constant support, and time to share your experiences with others.
- NOTE: Opportunities are always being added, so check back frequently.
GOTV: Write Letters, Socialize with Us!
Thanks to all who turned out last week to write 160 Vote Forward letters to voters to get out the vote (GOTV). How many letters can we write next time?
Join your IC-SS friends on Thursday Sept 29!
Join Us Next Week: Thurs., Sept. 29
- What: Vote Forward Letter Party. Gather to write to voters in critical districts.
- When: Thurs, Sept 29, 6:00-8:30 pm
- Where: Nile Restaurant outdoor patio,1162 E. 55th St.
- Food: Indivisible Chicago-South Side provides appetizers. Attendees order & pay for their own entrees to support the Nile. You are welcome to bring along wine/beer.
- RSVP: Fill in this form to register.
Note: You can sign up with Vote Forward, choose a state, then print your own letters to work on at home. For our Vote Forward parties, you can bring your own letters printed out via your free Vote Forward account OR work on letters that mentor Steve Kagan brings for you to complete.
Congratulations & Thanks to Steve Kagan
Vote Forward shouted out our letter mentor, Steve Kagan.
Trusty buddy Blue encourages Steve Kagan, who in turn encourages IC-SS writers
Steve has written over 1,100 letters toward his personal goal of 2,500 letters for Vote Forward’s Big Send mail date of October 29. Congratulations, Steve, and thanks for your leadership!
Thanks for Joining Us Last Week!
Thanks to all who joined Indivisible Chicago-South Side for our September Social — and extra-special thanks to Lisa Rademacher for helping us organize our outdoor event.
IC-SS friends gathered to celebrate our work together & pick up postcards
After the gathering, attendees took home packs of Postcards for Climate to encourage folks who care about climate change to get out and vote. Would you like to get a pack of postcards to write to voters? Let us know and we’ll tell you how.
Organizations & Opportunities
Indivisible Chicago-South Side shares opportunities to make a difference in key Illinois districts and in other battleground states. Join the efforts!
Honoring Frank Chapman, Benefiting Justice
Recently, activists and friends gathered in Woodlawn’s Grand Ballroom to honor Frank Chapman on his 80th birthday and benefit the organization he helps to lead: Chicago Alliance Against Racist & Political Repression (CAARPR).
We revere Frank Chapman as an organizer, scholar, and leader – we learned he is also a musician!
Abortion Rights Rally/March: Sat, Oct 8
Abortion & Full Reproductive Rights National Day of Action! Defend abortion rights and reproductive freedom in Illinois and the USA.
On Saturday, October 8th at noon, join Chicago for Abortion Rights, Indivisible Chicago Alliance, and a coalition of organizations for a rally and march at Federal Plaza, 219 S. Dearborn. Get more info at the Facebook Event.
SUBSCRIBE: Did someone forward this newsletter to you? If you’d like to subscribe and get our newsletter every Monday morning, click here to subscribe.
SUGGEST: Got an event or resource to suggest for the newsletter? Email us here.
Indivisible Chicago-South Side
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.