IC-SS Weekly Update: Sept 12, 2022
Midterms Are Nov. 8 – Let’s Get to Work
It’s all falling into place this fall.
The Democratic Congress can deliver what we, the people, want. And now WE need to turn our full attention to electing Democratic candidates who will protect our freedoms and fight for our rights.
Join Us TONIGHT (Mon) – and Thursday!
ONE MORE CHANCE: There’s still time to sign up for tonight’s September Social in a Hyde Park backyard. Sign up by 2:00 pm today, Monday September 12, for our 6:00 pm gathering in a Hyde Park backyard. (Get address when you RSVP.) We’ll share pizza and potluck – and have “postcards to go.”
Vote Forward Parties: Thurs, Sept 15 & 29
What: Vote Forward Letter Parties. Meet us on the Nile Restaurant outdoor patio to write letters to voters in critical states and Illinois districts.
When: This Thurs, Sept 15 + Thurs, Sept 29, 6:00-8:30 pm
Where: The Nile outdoor patio,1162 E. 55th St.Food: Indivisible Chicago-South Side provides appetizers & wine/beer. Attendees order & pay for their own entrees to support the Nile. You are welcome to bring along wine/beer.
Note: You can sign up with Vote Forward, choose a state, then download and print your own letters to work on at home.For our Vote Forward parties, you can bring your own letters printed out via your free Vote Forward account OR work on letters that mentor Steve Kagan brings for you to complete.
Wisconsin is the front line in the fight for democracy. You can make a difference in our neighboring state – by traveling to nearby Wisconsin districts OR volunteering from your own home.
- Canvass on weekends. Knock doors, talk to voters face to face, with Indivisible Chicago Alliance (ICA) organizers & volunteers. The most impactful way to spread the word!
- Phone voters on Wisconsin Wednesdays. From your home, join ICA on Zoom and encourage Democratic Wisconsin voters to get out and vote. You get training, constant support, and time to share your experiences with others.
- Phone voters on Saturdays. From your home, join Indivisible Illinois organizers on Zoom. Included: Training, support, camaraderie!
- NOTE: Opportunities are always being added, so check back frequently if you don’t yet see what you’re looking for. You can also volunteer directly with WisDems from your home or in Wisconsin.
In Michigan, we can help win three Congressional races rated as toss-ups that will help determine whether the U.S. House remains in the hands of Democrats. You can make a difference in our neighboring state – by traveling to nearby Michigan districts OR by volunteering from your own home.
- Canvass on weekends. Knock doors, talk to voters face to face, along with Indivisible Chicago Alliance (ICA) organizers & volunteers. The most impactful way to spread the word!
- Phone voters. Coming soon: From your home, join ICA on Zoom and encourage Democratic Michigan voters to get out and vote. You get training, constant support, and time to share your experiences with others.
- NOTE: Opportunities are always being added, so check back frequently.
Keep IL Blue with Underwood & Casten
Democrats Lauren Underwood and Sean Casten must hold onto their seats in Congress if we want the House to stay blue. Both reps are working to get the word out to their new constituents. Due to redistricting, 70% of the 14th District is new to Rep Underwood and 80% of the 6th District is new to Rep Casten. Help these districts get to know the candidates!
- Canvass on Sun, Oct 16. Sign up to knock doors for Lauren Underwood with friends from Indivisible Chicago Alliance (ICA), Indivisible Chicago-South Side, and Indivisible Downtown Chicago.
- Phone voters. From your home, join ICA on Zoom and let voters know about the candidates. You get training, constant support, and time to share your experiences with others.
- Text voters. From home, join ICA via Zoom; use your own device to reach voters.
- NOTE: If you don’t yet see Underwood or Casten opportunities in every ICA link above, check back soon – more actions are added weekly. You can also volunteer directly with the campaigns: Sean Casten and Lauren Underwood.
IL Supreme Court & Abortion Rights
The Illinois Supreme Court matters. To begin with, it can determine what happens with abortion access and reproductive rights. If we lose the Illinois Supreme Court, Illinois could lose abortion rights and reproductive freedom. The IL Supreme Court districts in play are Districts 2 & 3, which do not include Cook County – but you can still help!
November 8 will be the most consequential election ever for reproductive rights in Illinois, according to Personal PAC, a partner in Jane’s Army,
LEARN & ACT
- Read WBEZ story: IL Republicans look to gain control of state Supreme Court
- Take these actions offered by Jane’s Army:
- Tell your friends and family in suburban or other Illinois counties to vote for IL Supreme Court justice when they cast their ballots for November 8:
Organizations & Opportunities
Indivisible Chicago-South Side shares opportunities to make a difference in key Illinois districts and in other battleground states. Join the efforts!
Abortion Rights Rally/March: Sat, Oct 8
Save the Date: Defend abortion rights and reproductive freedom in Illinois and the USA. On Saturday, October 8th, join Chicago for Abortion Rights and a coalition of organizations for a rally and march in Chicago. More information coming soon – for now, mark your calendar!
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.