September 8, 2022
Election Day, November 8, 2022
What’s at Stake in Down-Ballot Races
Every Republican-controlled state legislature is poised to restrict abortion access further or halt it altogether. . . Down-ballot contests usually don’t register on the national radar compared to the battle for control of Congress — but they could have a profound effect on the post-Roe abortion landscape.
Question: How can you protect abortion access and voting rights, register new Democrats, turn out black voters in rural communities, and get Democrats elected in North Carolina ALL AT THE SAME TIME? Answer: Donate to Advance Carolina and NC A. Philip Randolph Educational Fund, two grassroots groups that are making all this happen. These videos from Marcus Bass and Melvin Montford will give you a preview of what’s to come at next week’s fundraiser, co-sponsored by Lean Left.
- Black Voters Can Shift Power in NC, Tuesday, September 13, 7-8 pm, with keynote speaker Governor Roy Cooper! Funds raised will support Democratic candidates in northeastern NC. When asked which voter groups needed to be mobilized for her campaign, Cheri Beasley, candidate for U.S. Senate, replied, “rural black voters, particularly in northeastern North Carolina.” Candidates can win or lose by less than 1%. In 2020, Cheri Beasley lost her race for Supreme Court Justice by 412 votes—out of 5.2 million. SIGN UP HERE!
In Wisconsin, the state GOP is still trying to overturn the 2020 election. If sanity prevails in a state that can decide national elections, Tony Evers needs to be re-elected Governor, and the GOP cannot get a veto-proof majority in the state legislature. The Evers race has flown under the radar for many Democrats, but it’s arguably the most consequential governor’s race and the most underfunded–of the 2022 election.
- Join the WisDems on any day at any time to help make callsto ensure that Gov Evers is re-elected. SIGN UP HERE.
Write Postcards to Flip the Executive Council! The Executive Council is a powerful but little-understood five-member-governmental body that determines state spending, approves state contracts, approves judgeships, and confirms all state agency heads. It recently rejected $27 million in federal funds related to Covid, defunded Planned Parenthood, and confirmed an education Commissioner who wants to use public tax dollars for private schools.
- Our goal is 10,000 postcards. We have 2,500 left to do! Flipping the 4 to 1 GOP majority would help Granite Staters have an Executive Council that cares about public health, reproductive rights, and education. SIGN UP HERE.
Help flip the state legislature blue! Thanks to a non-partisan redistricting committee that created a more fair map, Democrats have a decent chance at flipping the state legislature blue! Democrats can then go on the offensive to improve the lives of Pennsylvanians rather than playing defense with a veto. The best way to help remotely? Make calls with Sister District. Join supported phone banks. All training and support is supplied.
Fund the Movement
September Beneficiary: New Hampshire
Building Power at the Local Level
“A huge weakness in American liberalism right now is the obsession with national politics, which has led to ceding huge amounts of state and local power to the right.”
—Ezra Klein, “Democrats Chase Shiny Objects” Podcast
Why is the House of Representatives so important?
- The House selects the Secretary of State, the person who oversees elections.
- The House is currently dominated by the far-right, whose legislative agenda is out of step with NH voters: ban abortion, use public tax dollars for private education, restrict history curriculum, use “teacher loyalty” oaths, defund family planning and public health services, and ignore climate change.
In 2020, the New Hampshire Dems lost the House of Representatives by 1,316 votes. Regaining control is critical and DOABLE!
This month Lean Left Vermont is supporting two exciting New Hampshire campaigns to help make this happen.
- New Hampshire Young Democrats recruit, train, and help elect the next generation of progressive leaders. Since 2018, they have helped over 225 young candidates run for office; 156 of these young leaders went on to serve or are currently serving in elected positions across the state.
- New Hampshire House Dems Victory Committee is executing a targeted campaign to gain at least 17 seats in the House. In 2020, the closest races that kept Democrats from holding the majority were determined by just 754 votes, an average of 53 votes per race.
The money you donate will go a long way in helping candidates in local races take back the House of Representatives. Helping down-ballot candidates will help those at the top of the ticket!
Or contribute through your Giving Circle!
Lean Left Vermont has raised more than $325,000 since 2017!
To learn about the campaign in New Hampshire click here!
Check the Website for More Events!!
Lean Left Office Hours, every Friday at 3 pm. Questions about PowerHours or our recommended text/phone banks? Which action should you choose? Need tech help or a refresher on the calling/texting tools we’ll be using? We have Office Hours for just this reason! Use this link to drop in.
Building Power Lunch Hour with Lean Left’s NC Team, Monday, September 12 at noon. It’s time to get serious about electing Democrats and protecting the vote in North Carolina! At September’s meeting, we’ll talk about ways you can pitch in to bring NC over the finish line in November: texting, calling, donating, and more. Bring your questions, learn more about Sunday’s PowerHours (dedicated working sessions), and share what you’ve already been working on. We will finish up at 11:45, but people who have questions about calling/texting tools can stay on for technical support. So bring your lunch, a snack or a drink, and let’s figure out how together we can work on behalf of North Carolina voters! SIGN UP HERE!
We can’t lose the U.S. House. Join U.S. House Representatives Chris Pappas and Annie Kuster at Win Blue New Hampshire on Sunday, September 18, from 4:30 to 5:30. Both Congress members are in competitive races rated “toss-ups” by Cook Political Report. We need to defend their seats to ensure congress remains in Democratic control. In these very close races, every dollar will count!! A contribution is greatly appreciated (though not required) to attend the meeting. SIGN UP HERE.
Every Sunday between now and November 8, we’ll be making calls together at the Lean Left PowerHour. Show up anytime between 3 and 5 pm, then spend an hour working with other like-minded activists. If you only have one hour per week to dedicate to strengthening our democracy, PowerHour is the place for you! Here’s how it works.
Good Trouble Cafes + Giving Circles
Add Up to a Stronger Movement
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.