Election Day, November 8, 2022
August 23, 2022
Last week a federal judge lifted a block on NC’s 20-week abortion ban, opening the door for future assaults on abortion access. Abortion after 20 weeks has always been banned in NC, but it has not always been enforced. “Abortion past 20 weeks in pregnancy is exceptionally rare and happens because of a devastating health emergency or diagnosis,” said Gov. Roy Cooper in response to the ruling. Congresswoman Deborah Ross (NC-02) called it a sad day for women in North Carolina, saying, “Our legislature and courts have no business dictating women’s health. We won’t be silent as they continue restricting our rights.”
- Read the article here, then learn about the latest polls and how Democrats can win in NC at the All In for NC monthly meeting TODAY at 2:30 pm. The guest speaker is Blair Reeves, founder and Executive Director of Carolina Forward, a nonprofit progressive policy organization that is grounded in data and research. He’ll be joined by Jillian Johnson, Durham City Councilor and Movement Voter Project NC Advisor. SIGN UP HERE.
Write Postcards to Flip the Executive Council! This five-member-governmental body is powerful and little understood. The Council determines state spending, approves state contracts, and confirms all state agency heads. It recently rejected $27 million in federal funds for Covid vacines, defunded Planned Parenthood, and confirmed an education Commissioner who wants to use public tax dollars for private schools.
- Our goal is 10,000 postcards, so we need all hands (literally) on deck for this effort. Flipping the 4 to 1 GOP majority would help Granite Staters have an Executive Council that cares about public health, reproductive rights, and education. SIGN UP HERE.
Thanks to a non-partisan redistricting committee that created a more fair map, Democrats have a decent chance at flipping the state legislature blue! Democrats can then go on the offensive to improve the lives of Pennsylvanians rather than playing defense with a veto. We need to get voters engaged and out to vote!
- Women to Women Wednesdays, 6:00 PM with Turn PA Blue and the PA House Democrats. A weekly phone bank to Pennyslvania’s women voters. These powerful conversations include a discussion of abortion, gun violence, and other sensitive issues. SIGN UP HERE.
Keep WI Republicans from gaining a supermajority in the State legislature. Booting RonJon out of the Senate would be wonderful. However, the most important races in Wisconsin are keeping Tony Evers in the governor’s office and ensuring that Republicans cannot gain a veto-proof majority in the state legislature. In June, SCOTUS ensured that Wisconsinites must live with arguably the most gerrymandered state legislative map in the country for another 10 years.
- The best way to help remotely? Make calls with Sister District. No experience is necessary. You will get the training and support that you need. All you need is a strong desire to support democracy in the Badger State.
- Sister District National Phonebank Wednesdays at 6:00 ET
- Wisconsin Sister District Phonebank Thursdays at 7:00 ET
Fund the Movement
Defending Democracy in Wisconsin
“They are playing the long game….If they beat me,” says Gov. Tony Evers, “these laws will be in place for 2024….”
The Wisconsin GOP-controlled legislature is proposing election laws that are contingent on Tony Evers losing. These bills would allow so-called observers to stand three feet from poll workers, threaten poll workers with jail time if they obstruct an observer’s view, require elderly and disabled voters who are confined to their homes to show a photo I.D. to receive an absentee ballot, and gives the legislature control over the Wisconsin Election Commission.
“The Takeover,” The New Yorker, August 1, 2022
This month we return to America’s favorite battleground, Wisconsin, where the state GOP is still trying to overturn the 2020 election. If we want anything like sanity in a state that can decide our national elections, we need to reelect Tony Evers and stop the GOP from getting a veto-proof majority.
Lean Left is supporting Evers and two fragile incumbents in the state legislature, who can make sure we can protect democracy and free elections. The Evers race has flown under the radar for many Democrats, but it’s arguably the most consequential governor’s race–and the most underfunded–of the 2022 election.
Or contribute through your Giving Circle!
Lean Left Vermont has raised more than $325,000 since 2017!
To learn about the campaign in Wisconsin click here!
Text ProChoice Voters in NC, Tues Aug 23, 7 pm. Activate America has partnered with Planned Parenthood South Atlantic to turn out pro-choice voters in NC. Absentee ballots start going out Sept 9, so these voters could essentially cast their ballots for pro-choice candidates in weeks. This effort uses Scale to Win; training is provided. SIGN UP HERE!
Interested in helping New Hampshire win in November?Every Tuesday from 4:30 to 6:30, you can join the Dial for Democracy crew from Swing Blue Alliance and learn about how to have real conversations with voters to ensure Senator Maggie Hassan, Congressman Chris Pappas, and down-ballot candidates can win! Help move the needle towards Democrats and clean up the voter rolls. SIGN UP HERE.
Every Sunday between now and November 8, we’ll be making calls together at the Lean Left PowerHour. Show up anytime between 3 and 5 pm, then spend an hour working with other like-minded activists. If you only have one hour per week to dedicate to strengthening our democracy, PowerHour is the place for you! Here’s how it works.
Good Trouble Cafes + Giving Circles
Add Up to a Stronger Movement
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.