Hello Ventura Indivisians!
Your Calls to Action:
SOCIAL JUSTICE ACTION – Sunday April 24 – Swap Meet Justice Citizenship and Family Resource Fair, Expungement Clinic and Covid-19 Vaccination Clinic
(9-3pm) (8:30 am for first time citizenship fair volunteers) 04/24/22- OXNARD COLLEGE near gym
We started Swap Meet Justice because we asked people why they turned us down at our voter registration tables. We learned that lack of money and/or the ability to take off from a job during the week to meet with a lawyer were serious barriers that kept hardworking people from gaining the voice of a vote and the security of citizenship. With the help of a local immigration attorney, we’ve been able to fill out their applications, along with forms for DACA, green card renewals and voter registration and we’ve answered lots of questions.
But issues caused by basic lack of access are not limited to immigration paperwork and we’re so fortunate that many other organizations representing other “missing rungs of the ladder” are now joining us as well, including an expungement clinic staffed by the VC Public Defender’s office and an on-the-spot COVID-19 Vaccination clinic, staffed by VC Public Health. We also have groups doing Medi-Cal signups, assistance for DACA students, resources for physical and mental health, and much more.
THE ASK! We know that many of those who needs the services offered may have little or no access to computers and Facebook event notices. As part of this action, we ask that you share this information with people by phone or in-person, as well as online.
Services offered are free, no appointments are necessary, and we offer assistence to anyone who can make it to the Gym building on Oxnard College campus, the last Sunday of the month.
We also have printable flyers you can hand out or post on a bulletin board here:
Facebook link for citizenship fair and family resources (Check out how to become a volunteer! Teens welcome!)
Facebook link for expungement clinic
Donations to this project can be made here
Starting our Earth Day Week of Actions with asks from Sierra Club National and Sierra Club Los Padres Chapter and allies.
The CA oil industry screwed up so badly in CA, that even President Nixon stated in 1969, that “…the Santa Barbara incident has frankly touched the conscience of the American people.” That oil spill started what is now the nationwide observance of Earth Day.
52 years later, oil is still poisoning our air, land and water – causing an ever-lenthening list of serious illnesses, disproportionately affecting our poor and minority communities. And after decades of industry-funded climate change denial, we now know that fossil fuels are behind soaring temperatures, rising oceans and megafires – changes that threaten our lives, our homes and our economy.
So, we’re going to start our week of Earth Day actions with oil, just like at the beginning:
Action #1: Tell Travelers Insurance to stop enabling companies to drill in the Arctic.
Action #2: Tell State Treasurer Fiona Ma: Hold Wall Street banks accountable to their climate commitments
Action #3: Update from our local Sierra Club Los Padres Chapter, with ACTIONS! Join in on the “YES” on A&B campaign. Our water depends on it. https://indivisibleventura.org/2022/04/18/earth-day-week-of-actions-sierra-club-national-and-sierra-club-los-padres-chapter
Remind your legislators we want fossil fuels left where they are.
ACTION #1: “YES” on H.R.2519/S.1115 – Keep It in the Ground would prohibit new and renewed permits for drilling and infrastructure development for fossil energy projects on public lands and on the Outer Continental Shelf. VOEM would also cancel any lease also cancel any lease issued in the Beaufort Sea, Cook Inlet, or Chukchi Sea (three of the five bodies of water that encompass the Alaska Outer Continental Shelf).
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep./Sen. [___] to vote “YES” on [Rep – H.R.2519/Sen. – S.1115] – Keep it in the Ground.
(Rep. Carbajal is already a cosponsor, Brownley is not.
Sen. Padilla is already a cosponsor, Feinstein is not.)
ACTION #2:( Email all three legislators): (Sample by ChopWoodCarryWater) “I’m writing because I’m alarmed and appalled to see the President moving to enable more oil and gas drilling, not less, on public lands in a misguided attempt to address rising gas prices. We know this won’t work. Oil and gas companies are making record profits—they are capable of getting prices under control; they are simply choosing not to.
Dialing back our commitment to climate action, when we know more than ever how much trouble we’re in, is insane.
This is an emergency. Please, we MUST take the urgent action needed to tackle the climate emergency and secure real energy independence now by investing in a strong domestic clean energy sector. A clean energy economy will lower costs for families; create good-paying, family-supporting jobs; reduce emissions at the rate science demands; and secure our independence from unreliable and unpredictable forces beyond our control.
There is no option for inaction on the climate crisis. The future of our economy, our planet, and our lives — our children’s lives — is in your hands.
- President Biden: email, Comments: 202-456-1111, Switchboard: 202-456-1414, TTY/TTD: 202-456-6213
- Rep. Julia Brownley (CA-26): email, DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
- or Rep. Salud Carbajal (CA-24): email. DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
- Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300,https://whoismyrepresentative.com/ SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
- and Senator Padilla: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
- Who is my rep./ senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
Keep sharing! – Sen. Scott said the actual GOP agenda out loud!
Indivisible started by using the techniques that allowed the Tea Party, a small but vocal group, to take over our country. One thing is obvious…They do not let issues quietly fade away. Neither should we. While they try to distract us with “stolen election”, Hunter’s laptop, “grooming” and weird definitions of the word “woman,” we need to focus on getting the bitter truth out about their actual intentions if they regain power.
- Broadcast their agenda far and wide! Make sure every hard-working non-millionaire, every parent, and every senior citizen gets to see their scorched-earth vision for America. Here’s a toolkit to get started with lots of great graphics to use on all your social media platforms! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nbsu459riCGU5zArZuj_xtKXaW5-EYe2B9osuoTYilY/edit
- The Indivisible Truth Brigade has some tested strategies for inserting “truth sandwiches” into the GOP’s toxic and purposely divisive nonsense. Toolkit includes sample messages and graphics for you to share on Facebook and Twitter. Link here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1onF04nvIVyDwtRpGVYjrlVxO4_yUkljUr-w4haa1f-U/edit?usp=sharing
Ongoing – Join our Postcard Brigade! Indivisible Ventura is working with Postcards to Swing States (PSS) to coordinate GOTV postcarding focused on Senate races in swing states. PSS identifies the campaigns, writes the message, and provides the voter names and addresses. We will provide the cards and, if needed, the stamps. To participate, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ongoing – Ventura County Covid-19 Testing and Vaccine Updates – California Vaccine Sites and Availability
- Ongoing – Online Phonebank – “Phone Bank NOW with Grassroots Democrats HQ” (Anytime)
- April 19 – Online Event – ”In Conversation with Angie Thomas, Bestselling Author of the Classic Young Adult Novel, The Hate U Give” (1:00pm PT)
- April 19 – Online Forum – “League of Women Voters – Ventura County District Attorney (7:00 pm PT) (John Barrick, Erik Nasarenko) REGISTER
- April 18– Online Phonebank: “Phone Bank to flip Wisconsin Blue” (3:00 pm – 5:00pm PT)
- April 20 – Virtual Lecture: Democracy for the Few and the Struggles to Include the Many: Lessons from History (4:00 pm – 5:30 pm PT) This is a 3-part course. Register for each part separately. April 20 – Part 2, May 4 – Part 3
- April 20 – Online Phonebank: “Phone Bank to Keep Nevada Blue” (5:00 pm – 7:00pm PT)
- April 21 – Online event – ”Farming in a State of Extremes” (10:00 am – 12:00 pm PT)
- April 21 – Online/LIVE event – Eat Less Water, Eat More Local Veg!” (6:00 pm – 8:00 pm PT) 576 E. Main St. Ventura
- April 21 – Online & Live phonebank – “CA: Make Calls to Protect Our Drinking Water in Ventura County” (5:00 pm – 7:00 pm PT)
- April 21 – Online Phonebank: “Phone Bank in Arizona” (3:00pm – 5:00 pm PT)
- April 21 – Online Phonebank: “Guided Phone Bank to Texas” (3:00pm – 5:00 pm PT)
- April 21 – Online Phonebank: “Voter Protection Phonebanks with Common Cause” (1:00 pm – 3:00 pm, 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm PT)
- April 21 – Online Phonebank: “Environmental Voter Project – Tucson, AZ” (4:00 pm)
- April 22 – VENTURA – “Earth Day Cleanup and Celebration at Topa Topa! (4:00 pm – 6:00 p.m. PT)
- April 22 – Online Event: “Earth Day: An Hour to Take Care of OUr Planet” (1:00 pm – 2:00 pm PT)
- April 22 – Online Event: “Earth Day Virtual Summit” (12:00 pm – 1:30 pm PT)
- April 22 – Online Phonebank:- Voter Protection Phonebanks with Common Cause” (1:00 pm – 3:00 pm, PT)
- April 22 – VENTURA – “GSA EArth Day Campus Tour – Ventura Government Center (12:00 pm – 1:00 pm)
- April 22 – VENTURA – “Drive Electric Earth Day Electric Car Show – Pacific View Mall” (11:00 am – 2:00 pm)
- April 22-24 – SANTA PAULA – “The Ventura County flower and Weed Show and Exhibit” Agriculature Museum (See event for times)
- April 22 – OXNARD – Superhero Day – Pediatric COVID-19 Vaccine Clinc for kids ages 5-11 (3:00 pm – 6:00 pm)
- April 23 – VENTURA: “Canvassing in Ventura – Canvass to Protect Our Drinking Water in Ventura” (9:00am – 12:00 pm PT)
- April 23 – OJAI: “Drive Electric Earth Day Boku Cafe Electric Vehicle Show” 987 W. Ojai Ave, Ojai, (2:00pm – 6:00 pm PT)
- April 23 – OXNARD – Social Justice Arts & Film Fest (11:00 am – 6:00 pm PT) OPAC
- April 23 – Online Phonebank: “Voter Protection Phonebanks with Common Cause” (1:00 pm – 3:00 pm, 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm PT)
- April 23 – Online Phonebank: “Korean-language – “Texas Phonebanking with Woori Juntos” (2:00 pm PT)
- April 24 – OXNARD –SWAP MEET JUSTICE Free Citizenship and Family Resource Fair, Expungement Clinic, and COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic (9:00 am- 3:00pm) Oxnard College Gym area.
- April 24 – VENTURA: “Canvassing in Ventura – Canvass to Protect Our Drinking Water in Ventura” (9:00am – 12:00 pm PT)
- April 24 – THOUSAND OAKS: “ Ventura County Democrats Spring Fling 2022 Fundraiser” (12:00 pm – 2:00 pm PT) Conejo Community Park
- April 24– Online Phonebank: ” DCCC – Phone Bank in Orange Country” (1:00 pm – 3:00pm PT)
- April 24 – Online Phonebank: “Voter Protection Phonebanks with Common Cause” (3:00 pm – 5:00 pm PT)
- April 25– Online Phonebank: “Phone Bank to flip Wisconsin Blue” (3:00 pm – 5:00pm PT)
- April 27 – Online Phonebank: “Phone Bank to Keep Nevada Blue” (5:00 pm – 7:00pm PT)
- April 28 – Online Forum – “League of Women Voters – Ventura County Clerk and Recorder (7:00 pm PT) REGISTER (Michelle Ascencion, Bruce Boyer, Jeff Hargleroad)
- April 28 – Online Phonebank: “Phone Bank in Arizona” (3:00pm – 5:00 pm PT)
California Primary Election. Primary election ballots will be mailed out to all registered voters on Monday, May 9 and must be postmarked on or before election day, June 7, 2022. If you want to check on your registration status or re-register because you have changed your address go to this site.
Your ballot will include candidates for U.S. Senate, U.S. Representative in Congress, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, Controller, Treasurer, Attorney General, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, State Senator, and State Assembly Member. For statewide offices, the top two vote getters will appear on the ballot in the General Election in November, even if they are both from the same party and even if one of the candidates receives more than 50 percent of the votes.
Don’t miss the League of Women Voter’s online forums, listed in the “EVENTS/ACTIVITES” section!
- Indivisible Ventura: Tips for Calling Congress For People who hate to Call Anybody, Let Alone Congress, or If You’re New to This Calling Thing…
- Resource: Web Literacy for Student Fact-Checkers …and other people who care about facts
- Indivisible Ventura: How to make your calls faster
- Indivisible Ventura: Why do I need to call? My representatives are all Democrats
- Indivisible Ventura: Are You a Policy Wonk? Here’s How to Track a Bill
- Floor Procedure In The U.S. House Of Representatives
- What Good Does it do to Write Letters to the Editor?: With contact information, podcast tutorial, and guidelines
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.