Hello Ventura Indivisians,
Did you take the time to celebrate the failed recall? Thanks for EVERYONE’S hard work! It is only through team effort that we claim victory – and, boy, did our team work! Well done!
Now… let’s make certain this never happens again.
Hindsight experts can say that our recall election’s outcome was a foregone conclusion – that the GOP’s top candidate, Larry Elder, was a polarizing demagogue and that Democrats have an overwhelming majority. However, “...a few weeks ago the polls were tied. Then we seriously mobilized, and we pushed Newsom ahead. That’s a huge shift in a short time. We have real power when we stand up and fight.”
That said, all our phonebanking, textbanking and canvassing couldn’t stop the WASTE OF OVER A QUARTER OF A BILLION OF OUR TAXPAYER DOLLARS (now estimated at +$300 million) on a GOP temper tantrum when we have sick people to treat, homeless people to house, school children to help after a year of COVID restrictions, and fire victims who are starting from scratch.
We need to update our recall laws immediately.
After your calls to action – more events and resources!
Your Calls to Action:
The California recall is broken, let’s take action!(more info)
Tell our state legislators that we want recall election reforms!
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Assemblymember/Senator [___] to improve CA’s recall laws to discourage the wasteful abuse of our state’s resources. (you can call and say just the blue parts. Our legislators should know the rest.)
- Change our recall to a “Retention” model. We have a “simultaneous recall” election model, which means a pageful of unqualified people to sift through on the ballot. We need a “Retention recall” format, where a successful recall is treated in the same way as any other vacancy – the lieutenant governor ascends to the governor’s post and finishes out the term of office.
- Put the recall target on the ballot. If the “simultaneous’- style recall is maintained, repeal Elec. Code, § 11381(c) and allow the sitting candidate to include his/her name in with the “2nd” question candidates. (SCA-3 didn’t pass. Should have.)
- Require just cause. This would include violating the oath of office, official misconduct or malfeasance or similar demonstrable standards. Eight states already do this.
- Raise the signature requirement to 25% for executive offices. Right now, CA only requires 12% to recall a governor, second lowest of all states. Most states require 25%. Louisiana requires 33.3% and Kansas requires 40%. CA actually requires a 20% minimum to recall state senators, members of the Assembly, members of the Board of Equalization, and judges of courts of appeal and trial courts
- Require 25% opposing party signatures – Require true bipartisanship in a recall election by setting a minimum number of voters who belong to the same party as the targeted elected official.
- Increase signature minimum from 5 counties to 25%. Candidates are currently required to get 1% minimum of signatures from at least five counties.
- Increase initial filing requirements. Right now, it only costs $4000 and 65 signaturesto launch a candidate into our elective chaos.
State Senator Monique Limón (SD-19): SAC (916) 651-4019, SB (805) 965-0862, OX (805)988-1940 email
State Assemblymember Steve Bennett (CA-37): SAC (916) 319-2037, SB (805) 564-1649, VTA (805) 641-3700 email
Share with family and friends, find their Rep: findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov.
Tell our senators to vote “YES” on the Freedom to Vote Act. (more info)
The Freedom to Vote Act has replaced the “For the People Act” in the Senate. This bill, which is backed by Stacey Abrams of Fair Fight… click to see what this bill does for American Voters
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] to ask Sen. [___] to support the Freedom to Vote Act. It’s imperative that we set a nationwide standard to protect the rights of votersand to strengthen our democracy. We also expect [him/her] to step-up and support a carve-out in the filibuster to save American democracy. Senator Feinstein:email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Padilla: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
Share with family and friends, find their Senator: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
Invest in the rest of us! It’s time to pass our budget reconciliation priorities! (more info)
Right now, congressional committees are drafting the budget reconciliation package, the legislative vehicle for passing an inclusive recovery package. This means we’re in a key moment for advocacy as we fight to win the most progressive reconciliation bill possible. The House is moving on the bill first – that means you need to call your Representative and make sure they’re supporting these essential policies.
Minimal script (or email): I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep. [___] to use budget reconciliation bill to invest in the rest of us, the 99% of Americans who’ve helped create the exponential wealth of our top 1%. Our tax dollars funded trillions on tax cuts and profits for billionaires and corporations and supported endless wars, with little for regular Americans to show for it but injured soldiers, ruined small businesses and financial instability. Now we demand you act to create legislation that centers us – the 99% – that’s taking our health, our education, our communities, along with our responsibilities to our children, our elders and our future generations seriously. A $3.5 million investment is a deal, not a burden, and we know it will NOT harm small farms and family businesses. We’re watching carefully to see if [he/she] understands how important this is to us.
Here are our progressive priorities:
- Invest in a pathway to citizenship for millions of immigrants;
- Citizenship for DACA recipients, TPS holders, and essential workers.
- Inclusion of all immigrants in the recovery package.
- Give us a pathway to accessible, dignified health care:
- Use medicare to negotiate drug prices, limit launch prices and tie prices to equivalents in peer countries. Ensure low-cost or free life-saving prescriptions available to all. No more insulin deaths!
- Expanding Medicare to cover vision, dental, and hearing.
- Lowering the eligibility age to 60 years old;
- Invest in our Climate, including a Clean Energy Standard (with no fossil fuels!) and a Civilian Climate Corps;
- Invest in our Care Economy, including universal child care, child tax credits for millions of families,federally guaranteed paid leave for all, and creating good jobs in the home and community based-care sector;
- Invest in our housing, especially deeply affordable housing and housing for unhoused populations; and
- Invest in our good will. Pay for this package and address extreme wealth inequality at the same time – a two-fer! Taxing the ultra rich and big corporations so they finally pay their fair share.
- Fund the IRS so they can both effectively deliver emergency payments and take on wealthy tax cheats.
- Restore the inheritance tax basis used prior to the 2017 Tax Scam.
- Make millionaires and billionaires pay the same rate as everyone else into the Social Security trust fund and increase the income tax exemption on low-income recipients. Set the minimum level 25% above poverty level and tie it to a wage index so seniors don’t fall behind.
- Close the stepped-up basis loophole. Don’t let the GOP and some Dems use family farms as an excuse.
(NOTE: if your legislator is hiding behind the GOP fiction that closing the step-up basis will hurt small farmers and family-owned owned business. IT WILL NOT! AAUGH! BROWNLEY AND CARBAJAL were among those who signed this letter.)
Rep. Julia Brownley (CA-26): email, DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal (CA-24): email. DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Share with family and friends, find their Rep: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
More Calls to Action:
- Afghanistan falls – Now what? Here.
- The IPCC report is out. Time to make changes. (3) easy actions. Here.
- We are on fire…Tell your representative to push for these 3 climate priorities in the recovery package. Here.
- HR 1374 is a tragedy waiting to happen. Tell your senators to throw it back. Here.
- This eviction issue is actually a judge issue. Here.
- We wrote a letter to Biden about S.1. We need you to write one too. Here.
- Time for some Fox-sequences. Report their COVID lies to the FTC. Here.
- Get your state legislators to D.C. to fight for democracy! Here.
- Clearcut some outdated logging solutions out of the Conservation Corps Act (HR 1162/S487) Here
- “Hello, I’d like to speak to the man behind the curtain.” Let’s talk to Rupert Murdoch.Here
- It’s not just a drought. It’s “aridification.” “YES” on H.R. 4099. Now. Here
- “Lost Cause” to the “Big Lie” – we’re stuck in a malevolent version of “Groundhog Day.” Here.
- Who owns American history? The GOP’s battle against Critical Race Theory and what we can do about it. Here.
Events (if you are going and interested in carpooling, email us and we’ll do our best to hook you up):
EVENTS ARE HAPPENING CRAZY FAST!!! – Our most up-to-date “calendar” has temporarily been moved to HERE.
Sept 19 – Online: Defenders of Democracy Against Disinformation (DDAD) take on FOX News
Sept 21 – Online: VC Post-Census Redistricting Pre-Draft Map Public Hearing
Sept 23 – Online: Organizing Communities of Support for Schools and CRT
Sept 26 – (we’re back!) – Free IMMIGRATION LEGAL AID Fair – Volunteers Needed! Every last Sunday of the month we assist residents, alongside immigration lawyers, in filling out paperwork for citizenship, DACA, and green card renewals. Can’t make it? Help fund this event
Sept 27 – Online: Should the Little Hoover Commission hold hearings to study whether CA’s recall system should be reformed? Join via Phone: (888) 788-0099. Zoom: Webinar ID 994-0475-3832. Password 751502. Submit questions: LittleHoover@lhc.ca.gov
Sept 27 – Online: Freedom to Vote Act Phonebank with Common Cause (more dates available
Sept 28 – Online: Ventura County Fairgrounds Board Meeting – Gun Shows. Send comments ahead of the meeting to the Fairgrounds CEO, Barbara Quaid, and the Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org
Oct 2 – VENTURA: Women will March to #DefendAbortion in Every Single State (and in Ventura!) Details TBA
Oct 21 – Third Thursday Postcard and Pizza Party (you can stay and write if you are vaxxed, masked, and comfortable – or you may pick up a packet, stamps, and a slice or two to write from home) Can’t make it? Help fund this event
Oct 31 – (we’re back!) – Free IMMIGRATION LEGAL AID Fair – Volunteers Needed! Every last Sunday of the month we assist residents, alongside immigration lawyers, in filling out paperwork for citizenship, DACA, and green card renewals. Can’t make it? Help fund this event
You can now DONATE to the cause!
Indivisible Ventura is completely volunteer run and your donation will support the direct costs of organizing in Ventura — things like meeting room rental, posters, art supplies, stamps, transportation, and more! Now that we’ve defeated Trump and taken back the Senate, we have to act urgently to save our democracy and enact other desperately needed reforms. Getting it done depends on all of us. Let’s stand together, indivisible. Indivisible Ventura is one of 6,000 grassroots Indivisible groups across the country.
Contribute today to Indivisible Ventura. Together, we will win.
Indivisible Ventura: How to make your calls faster
Indivisible Ventura: Why do I need to call? My representatives are all Democrats
Indivisible Ventura: Are You a Policy Wonk? Here’s How to Track a Bill
What Good Does it do to Write Letters to the Editor?: With contact information, podcast tutorial, and guidelines
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.