FLORIDA– This week a Florida high school student highlighted how President Biden’s pandemic recovery is bringing back normal life for students across the country. She noted that thanks to President Biden, she and the majority of her classmates were able to get vaccinated and have an in person graduation ceremony along with other events.
Sun Sentinel Opinion: Biden’s pandemic recovery is bringing back the little things for studentsJune 22, 2021
- This pandemic has taken over 600,000 lives — mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, cousins and grandparents for millions — and it has created grief and trauma that people will be living with for decades… This pandemic has not just taken the big things, it has also taken the little things from so many. It has taken the graduations, the state championship games, the hugs, the proms, the family dinners, the first days of college and more. But now, thanks to President Biden’s American Rescue Plan, we are getting both the big and little things back.
- My family and I, and the majority of classmates, were vaccinated thanks to the ramped up vaccination program from the American Rescue Plan, so we were able to graduate and celebrate together, without fear of getting each other sick.
- Just a few months ago, I was terrified that one of my grandparents would fall, have to go to the hospital, and catch COVID while they were there. Then, a few months later, I was at a party with them. That type of progress in such a short time was only possible because of strong leadership in the White House.
- Because of how President Biden handled the pandemic, my lacrosse team was able to compete for and win the high school state championship and I get to head to college out of state, starting on campus and fully in person in the fall.
- The fact that students across the nation get to close this chapter of their lives in person, with celebrations and hugs, really does make a difference. These are certainly not the most important things that have come from President Biden’s leadership — the lives saved and the full scale economic recovery definitely hold that slot — but they do matter.
- I am so grateful for all of the pieces of this pandemic recovery — the large and the small.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.