County Clerk Forum
Don’t miss this event – register today! The Westchester County Clerk race is the only countywide Democratic primary election being held on Tuesday, June 22nd.
- Click here to register for the June 7th forum featuring the two candidates.
- Email your questions to Countyclerkforum@gmail.com.
Make a Voting Plan
Make a plan to vote in the June primary! There are 3 ways to cast a ballot in 2021. Here are your options:
- Vote By Mail (Request your ballot now!)
- Vote Early (Saturday, June 12 – Sunday, June 20)
- Vote on Primary Day (Tuesday, June 22)
Visit Vote Early NY for more information and to learn about your voting rights. It’s never been more convenient to vote in New York!
Support NY Voting Rights
From VoteEarlyNY: “Ahead of June 2021 Primaries, a new VoteEarlyNY report reveals that more than 13,800 registered New York voters who turned out to a different 2020 poll site in their county than the one assigned had their ballots fully disqualified due to a technicality known as the “wrong church” rule.
This was the largest source of disqualified affidavit ballots cast by registered voters in Election 2020, with disproportionate impact in several majority-minority communities in NYC, and those living in the most population-dense counties.
The State Senate has already voted to change the law and the Governor supported reforming it years ago. But it’s unclear whether the Assembly recognizes the injustice this rule continues to cause or or intends to take it up before the upcoming elections.”
- Reach out to your Assembly Member and ask them to support this critical reform.
Ban Hybrid Voting Machines
If state lawmakers fail to pass the Hybrid Ban Bill (A1115/S309) by the end of session, the State Board of Elections is poised certify a voting machine with fatal security flaws.
- Click here to learn more about security problems associated with Hybrid machines.
- Contact your state senator and assembly member and ask that they support banning hybrids.
Join Common Cause NY and Let NY Vote for the launch of their “Democracy Defender” relational program in support of the “For the People Act” (S.1/H.R.1)!
The goal of this training is to learn the best practices of telling your S.1 Story and the most effective ways to share it with others! At the end of the training, all will sign the “Democracy Defender Pledge” to help at least 3 people take action in support of the “For the People Act”, as well as other opportunities for action. We need to make sure that as many people as possible are invested in S.1–our Democracy Defenders will be a key part of this.
- Click here to register for the training on Thursday, June 3rd @ 5PM.
- Click here to phone bank and connect voters in AZ and WVA with their senators in support of the For the People Act.
- Click here to phone bank with Center for Common Ground to AZ in support of the For the People Act, to fight voter suppression bills in TX, and get out the vote in VA.
Special Immigrant Visas
Our friends at the Westchester Jewish Coalition for Immigration have asked us to help with outreach to see that that Afghans employed by the Federal Government are granted Special Immigrant Visas before we pull our troops out of Afghanistan on September 11th. This NYT Opinion piece explains, “We have obligations to the thousands of Afghans who supported us, mainly as interpreters for our military. They were promised special immigrant visas to get them out of harm’s way, but many have yet to materialize. The Taliban view them as traitors: Since 2014, there have been at least 300 targeted killings of people who worked with us. Many more will die if the administration doesn’t take immediate steps to speed up the process to get them out safely.”There are 10 families in Westchester County who are here thanks to the SIV program and many others throughout the metro area. But more families need help. Here’s what you can do.
- Click here for a script to use to send an email, letter or make a call to President Biden and your representatives in Congress asking that they approve Special Immigrant Visas for Afghans who were employed by the U.S. government by 9/11.
Fighting Misinformation at the State Level
Click here to read about proposed state legislation to combat misinformation on social media.
Say No to Airport Expansion That Threatens Our Drinking Water
Westchester County has allowed Million Air to build a hangar and terminal for corporate and private jets at Westchester County Airport, despite the company failing to get environmental approval for the project, as explained in this LoHud article. And now Million Air wants to build an even bigger hanger for private and corporate jets.
The bottom line in regard to Westchester Airport is this: It’s an industrial facility located directly adjacent to the Kensico Reservoir, which is the drinking water supply for millions of people. Therefore, nothing should be done on the ground that would enable expanded air traffic and all environmental regulations must be followed.
- The County must allow the FAA’s federal NEPA review to proceed and comply with the permit from NYS to complete the storm-water treatment project.
- •The Board of Legislators must reject Million Air’s request to build a proposed 80,000 sq. ft. hangar.
- Click here to sign the petition saying no to airport expansion.
Westchester County has plenty of vaccines on hand for those eligible for the vaccine.
- Vaccines for 12-15 year olds are now available.
- Schedule an appointment here.
- View the Westchester County COVID dashboard here.
- The NYS COVID vaccination hotline is (833) NYS-4 VAX; (833) 697-4829.
#Filibuster FridaysEach Friday, Indivisible members across New York send social media messages to members of Congress to tell them why we must end the Filibuster! Click here for a social media toolkit.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.