Events continue to occur at a breath-taking pace, with the second impeachment of the president completed last week and the Inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris just days away. The uncertainties over the safety and security of our state and National capitals add another layer of drama, as if we needed any more.
Still, we can celebrate the beginning of a new era, with hope for the future as Washington shifts to Democratic control of the Presidency, House, and Senate, and qualifications for Cabinet and departmental positions appear to be grounded in competency. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris announced their 1.9 trillion dollar economic relief package on 1/14/2021. This “American Rescue Plan” builds on the $3 trillion stimulus plan passed last March and the $0.9 trillion plan from December.
- Additional stimulus checks of $1,400 to eligible recipients, including household of mixed immigration status, who were excluded from past payments.
- Increase of jobless benefits to $400/week from the $300/week passed in the December bill.
- $25 billion in rental assistance.
- Extending the 15% increase in food stamp benefits to September rather than expiring in June.
- $40 billion for child care and increasing the child care tax credit. Raising the Earned Income Tax Credit. Funding subsidies for premium payments for those who have lost employer-based health insurance, and increasing subsidies for those with Affordable Health Care Act insurance. This includes changing the cap on health insurance premiums to 8.5% of income, making many more people eligible for subsidies.
As we look forward to the change, we still have to address the continuing effort of Trump and his enablers to overthrow our democratic system. The Congressmembers who tried to overthrow our democracy have not stopped. Even now they continue to spread the same lies that incited a white supremacist mob, and reject any attempt to hold Trump to account.
This week we are telling our members of Congress they need to demand accountability. Trump’s actions and those of his current enablers cannot go ignored, or they will continue to do damage-even after Trump’s presidency ends.
Example call scripts and contact information for our members of Congress are below.
And check out our event calendar at https://indivisibleyolo.org/calendar/ for virtual events and actions!
The next General Meeting will be online next week, Monday Jan. 25th at 7pm -we hope to see you there!
Tell our Representative: Thank you for impeaching Trump; expel his seditionist enbablers!
(Note: only one of these 2 Congressmembers represents you. You can find out which one here)
- Rep. Garamendi (530) 753-5301 (Davis) (202)-225-1880 (D.C.) (email)
- Rep. Matsui (916) 498-5600 (Sacramento) (202) 225-7163 (D.C.) (email)
Sample Call Script:
Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME]. I’m a constituent from [CITY, zip code].
Thank you, Representative [Garamendi/Matsui] for voting to impeach the president. Trump’s enablers also need to go.
Members of Congress who have supported seditious votes to overturn a fair and decisive election should face expulsion. Please be vocal about the need to remove them, and that their lies in support of subverting our democracy make them unfit to hold office. Thank you.
Tell our Senators: Vote to convict, remove and disqualify Donald Trump from holding federal office in the future
- Sen. Feinstein: 415-393-0707 (SF) 202-224-3841 (D.C) (email)
- Sen. Harris: 916-448-2787 (Sacramento) 202-224-3553 (D.C.) (email)
- California Secretary of State Alex Padilla is expected to fill Sen. Harris’ position when she resigns in order to become Vice President- contact info to be updated soon
Sample Call Script:
Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME] and I’m a constituent from [CITY, zip code].
I am calling to demand that you vote to convict, remove and disqualify Donald Trump from holding federal office in the future.
Trump’s enablers also need to go. Members of Congress who have supported seditious votes to overturn a fair and decisive election should face expulsion. Please be vocal about the need to remove them, and that their lies in support of subverting our democracy make them unfit to hold office. Thank you.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.