MDP Veterans Caucus Meetup – Wednesday, November 15, 7:00 pm
Come and join us in celebrating Veterans Day with the Washtenaw County chapter of the MDP Veteran’s Caucus. We will have a social hour (or two) on Wednesday, November 15th, 2023 at 7 PM. The event will be held at Thompson & Co. in Ypsi’s Depot Town at 400 N. River Street. Plenty of parking spaces are available, with great food and drinks. This event will be an excellent opportunity to make new friends during these challenging times. We are honored to have Rep. Jennifer Conlin, the Chair of the Military, Veterans, and Homeland Security Committee, as our guest speaker. She will be sharing what is happening in Lansing for Michigan veterans. Rob Kull, a Navy veteran currently serving in the MI
National Guard, former Director of the Monroe County Veteran Affairs, and a candidate for state representative, will also be present to answer questions about public service during and after military service.
10am-4pm, Tuesday, November 14, IBEW Training Facility
13400 Luick Dr., Chelsea, MI 48118
Help us celebrate another great year of training the next generation of local electrical workers!
This Open House spotlights women in apprenticeship, celebrated by the Ann Arbor Electrical Joint Apprenticeship Training Center (AAEJATC). All of the AAEJATC women apprentices and most IBEW 252 women journeymen will be in attendance to answer questions and lead tours of the facility.
Also featuring:Manufacturer training partner Jim Tolzdorf of Madison Electric, with products on display.W4 Country radio, broadcasting live.Members of apprentice-run charity Union4Life, presenting a check to UM’s Rogel Cancer Center for breast cancer research.Everyone’s invited – local politicians, civic and business leaders, all schools! We hope to see you there. Free hot dogs and soft drinks will be served.
This Open House is part of NATIONAL APPRENTICESHIP WEEK – November 13-19.
What have Dems done for you lately?
It’s concerning that a plurality of Americans feel the US economy is terrible, despite near record- low unemployment and dramatically lower inflation than last year. A year ago, a Bloomberg News headline blared, “Forecast for US Recession Within Year Hits 100% in Blow to Biden.” Last week, Yahoo Finance joked, “More Good News for Voters to Dismiss.” We’re all messengers for the Democratic Party, so let’s empower ourselves with some real data.
Thanks to the American Rescue Plan, the Inflation Reduction Act (both passed with zero Republican Congressional support), the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, and the CHIPS and Science Act, investments in Americans have paid off.
- Last week’s GDP report shocked most observers, showing economic growth at an annual rate of 4.9% last quarter.
- Nearly 14 million jobs have been created, leading to an unemployment rate well under 4 percent.
- Specifically, manufacturing is booming: annual manufacturing construction made the largest contribution to GDP ever, with 800,000 jobs created by Biden-backed programs.
- Inflation has fallen 60% since last summer, to 2.4%, its lowest rate in almost three years.
- Businesses have invested more than $600 billion in manufacturing and clean energy.
- And Bidenomics is delivering especially for young people: young workers have seen record low unemployment, strong wage growth, and a surge in unionization efforts
- To top it all off, President Biden’s National Labor Relations Board has brought “workers’ rights back from the dead.” Biden, of course, made history as the first sitting president to join a picket line when he joined UAW workers in Wayne County last month. UAW bargaining with Detroit’s “Big Three” automakers has resulted in historic successes, wins “no one thought possible.”
You can stay up to date on these real successes and track the investments Bidenomics is making anywhere in the country with this great Investing in America tool. Be the messenger the Democrats need!
Young Dems Washtenaw – Join us!
YDW has a logo, thanks to Sarah Rose, and lots of upcoming events, thanks to the growing leadership team. All Young Dems – that’s 16-36 – are invited to all events! Please join the team to turn out the mighty youth vote in Washtenaw County, from Manchester to Milan, Salem to Sylvan! Opportunities to meet friends and get involved:
- Sunday, Nov. 5, 2:00 – 4:00 pm: YDW welcome, socializing & organizing meeting, West Side Room, Westgate Branch AADL
- Sunday, Dec. 3, 2:00 – 4:00 pm: YDW welcome, socializing & organizing meeting, Location TBD
- Sunday, Jan. 7, 2:00 – 4:00 pm: YDW welcome & organizing meeting, Multipurpose Room, Downtown AADL
WCDP Office Hours – Holiday Update
The WCDP’s normal office hours at 418 West Michigan Avenue, Ypsilanti, MI 48197 are:
– Tuesdays, 4-6
– Thursdays, 4-6
– Saturdays, 1-3
But please note the office will be closed November 19-27 for Thanksgiving.
Meet your representatives
- A2D2 – Ann Arbor inDivisible for Democracy – is hosting an event to meet with State Representatives Jennifer Conlin and Carrie Rheingans, at 4110 W. Loch Alpine Drive, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103 on Tuesday November 14th, from 5:30 to 6:30 pm/.
- State Representative Carrie Rheingans(District 47) and special guest State Representative Jennifer Conlin (District 48) will host a consituent coffee hour at the Dexter District Library at 3255 Alpine Street, Dexter, MI 49203, on Wednesday, November 15th from 10-11 a.m.
Michigan Senate Passes First-of-its-Kind Just Transition Legislation Protecting Workers
LANSING, Mich. – On October 26, the Michigan state Senate passed historic legislation to ensure a just transition for auto and auto supply chain workers, energy sector workers, building and construction trades, and communities impacted by the state’s shift to renewable energy. Senate Bill 519 will create a new Community and Worker Economic Transition Office to ensure workers and communities affected by the transition to clean energy aren’t left behind. The bill is the first of its kind in the nation to include internal combustion engine workers.
“Working people must be front and center in the fight for a greener, cleaner future,” said Michigan AFL-CIO President Ron BIEBER, continuing
“As Michigan races to attract new jobs in EV manufacturing and renewable energy, it is absolutely imperative that policymakers prioritize protecting union jobs, ensuring strong labor standards, and investing in retooling Michigan’s workforce to thrive in the growing clean energy industry. Today, our Democratic Senate majority did just that.This landmark legislation should serve as the new standard for how states can simultaneously combat the climate crisis and protect good-paying union jobs.”
The Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan’s largest labor organization, is a federation representing forty different labor organizations, eighteen different central labor councils, and eight constituency groups representing over 1 million union members and their families.
Find Your Voting Districts
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.