Another Speaker vote, ballot questions affirming reproductive rights, Scholastic Book Fairs, and more!
*** SUBMITTING YOUR ACTIONS TO ROGAN’S LIST ***
We’ve set up a “tip line” so Rogan’s List subscribers can send in their ideas or submissions for action items to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please don’t hesitate to email and pass on your suggestions. We look forward to hearing from you!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- SPEAKER-LESS STILLMcCarthy’s fifteen-vote effort to become Speaker of the House at least resulted in a somewhat functioning House. The current debacle, with a powerless Speaker Pro Tempore Patrick McHenry, means nothing can get done. Jim Jordan wants to try again in in a third vote but needs to convince some of the 20 GOP members who voted against him to change their minds. Even members of his own party do not want him to be Speaker; we are not interested in having anyone who was party to the insurrection or the Big Lie lead anything. Reportedly, a third vote is scheduled for today. Let’s keep working on those GOP holdouts. Let’s contact them and thank them for putting country first (some of them have been harassed and threatened) and urge them to form a coalition with the Democrats.
- HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT BENEFITS OF THE INFLATION REDUCTION ACTLast year, Congress passed the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), but many people in the U.S. are unaware of what was included in the legislation or how we can see its effects in our everyday lives. This has created a significant gap in voter knowledge as we had to the 2024 election, but one that we can address through organizations like Indivisible, which has created the Powering Progress campaign to fight disinformation and lead meaningful conversations about the IRA. Through Powering Progress and its Truth Brigade, we can learn more about the IRA, write Letters to the Editor and place ads in our local newspapers, fight disinformation, and more. Let’s check out their resources and help spread the word about this important legislation, then let’s be sure to sign up for their upcoming Truth Brigade Workshop and Neighbor-to-Neighbor Training.
- LEARN WAYS TO FIGHT THE COVID PANDEMICAlthough we would all like the pandemic to be over, it is, sadly, still with us. The World Health Network (WHN) is working to make things better and safer for all of us. An independent organization that has helped with successful elimination efforts, spoken out for airborne precautions, and advised governments and communities, WHN is now offering a welcome meeting to let us know more about their global and local efforts and how we can get involved. If we would like to learn more about the World Health Organization, what the current state of the pandemic is, what WHN is doing, and ways we can get involved, we can check out their welcome meeting on Wednesday, October 25 4 pm ET.
- RECLAIM OUR FLAGFrom a reader: I am a liberal Democrat. This summer I put an American flag on my house. More than one of my liberal friends said they don’t fly the American flag because “neighbors would think they were Republicans”. I’m an American. It’s my country and flag. How have Republicans taken the symbol for only their party? I think all Democrats should start flying the American flag to take the symbol back for all of us. Let’s proudly reclaim our flag and share this short video from the Lincoln Project.
- ELECTION INFO FOR YOUR STATEA reader suggested that it would be helpful if Rogan’s List posts about how to vote in individual states—so, here it is! Vote 411, a service of the League of Women Voters Education Fund, lets us find personalized voting information. We can see what’s on our ballot, check our voter registration, find our polling place, and more. Let’s bookmark Vote 411. Another great resource that provides personalized voting information is TurboVote’s Get Election Reminders service. TurboVote’s election reminders tell us when we have an election coming up, and how to cast our ballots. Let’s sign up!
Thanks for reading Rogan’s List ! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.