Israel/Hamas disinformation, child labor laws, background checks, and more!
*** SUBMITTING YOUR ACTIONS TO ROGAN’S LIST ***
We’ve set up a “tip line” so Rogan’s List subscribers can send in their ideas or submissions for action items at email@example.com. Please don’t hesitate to email and pass on your suggestions, we look forward to hearing from you!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- AVOID DISINFORMATION ABOUT THE ISRAEL/HAMAS WARWe can avoid adding to the hurt and pain surrounding the Israel Hamas war, and we can avoid becoming unwittingly complicit in making a horrible situation worse, by not spreading disinformation. This article explains how to spot disinformation online so we can avoid spreading it. Let’s read and share.
- SPEAK OUT AGAINST ROLLBACK OF CHILD LABOR LAWSFlorida has become the 16th state to propose legislation that would loosen restrictions on child labor, joining other states that have lowered the working age, increased working hours, and adapted a much looser definition of what jobs might be dangerous to children. Some of the reasoning for the rollback appears to be replacing work done by undocumented immigrants with child laborers, and a disproportionate number of children affected are likely to be those with the lowest socio-economic status. Let’s tell our federal MoCs that we want to see child labor laws recodified so that states cannot whittle away at basic protections for children. We can use this recent report from the Economic Policy Institute to learn more about the overall context of the problem.
- TALKING ABOUT PROGRESSIVE VALUESBuilding Bridges for America, an organization founded by alums of Pete Buttigieg’s presidential campaign to support progressive grassroots organizers, offers a course to teach us how to talk about progressive values and solutions effectively. Called “Say This Not That,” we can download the materials and watch the course on video, or we can sign up for a live session. The next live session is October 19, 8PM-9PM EDT. Let’s learn more.
- SUPPORT COMMON SENSE GUN CONTROL REGULATIONS ON BACKGROUND CHECKS A new regulation from the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Bureau (ATF) would expand background checks for guns sold on-line and at gun shows, closing a dangerous loophole that can help keep guns out of the hands of people who cannot handle them responsibly. Yet, the gun lobby is going all out against this common sense regulation. Let’s show the ATF that we support this regulation by submitting a public comment here. Everytown for Gun Safety has some talking points here.
- HAMILTON GETS OUT THE VOTEVote Forward is holding a special letter-writing session on Monday, October 23, at 8pm ET / 5pm PT to write letters with members of the cast of Hamilton! “We’ll start with some tips and best practices for letter writing and then we’ll all write letters to Virginia and Ohio voters while hearing from members of the Hamilton cast.” We can register for this event and get more information here.
- MI – MICHIGAN VOTING RIGHTS ACTIn June, Michigan Senate Democrats introduced Senate Bills 401, 402, 403 and 404, which collectively would establish the Michigan Voting Rights Act (MVRA). These four bills, SB 401, SB 402, SB 403, and SB 404, would continue the progress on voter rights legislation in Michigan by aiming to fill gaps in the federal act and make it easier for minority communities to enforce their rights. The bill centers on protections against vote dilution alongside stronger protections for language access, enhanced protections for voters with disabilities and protections from voter intimidation, coercion or deception. These bills are still in committee. Let’s contact our state senators and ask them to move this legislation along for the good of the state.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.