Tell Congress to get to work, to find a bipartisan House leader, to stop corporate polluters, and more!
******SUBMITTING YOUR ACTION IDEAS TO ROGAN’S LIST ******
We’ve had a number of the Rogan’s List family (now 12,000 strong!) send in action items in the last few weeks – and some really important ones at that! So we’re setting up a “tip line” you all can use if you have ideas or submissions for us: email@example.com. Please don’t hesitate to email and pass on your suggestions, we look forward to hearing from you!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- FROM A READER – CONGRESS: GET BACK TO WORK AND ACTThe events in Israel this past weekend require Congress to function and address fast changing events. The House is currently on break so the GOP can address internal squabbles. The House needs to compartmentalize their tensions with each other and get back to work. They need to approve any funding needed by Israel and Ukraine. Putin is not just focusing on Ukraine, he also probably helped train terrorists who attacked Israel, one of our allies. The Senate is on break until Oct 16, but they should return to confirm the US Ambassador to Israel nominee and the Pentagon promotions being held up. They also need to break the Tuberville blockade and fully staff the Pentagon now. He blocked over 300 senior Pentagon officers’ promotions & over 200 nominations over a Pentagon policy on abortion. Let’s tell our MoCs to get back to work to deal with foreign policy issues..
- BIPARTISAN SELECTION OF SPEAKER?In an effort to get back to the business of running the country, House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries is pitching a bipartisan effort to name a new Speaker of the House. It took a bipartisan effort to remove McCarthy from that position so there is a chance that a similar bipartisan approach could choose a new Speaker and loosen the grip of the far-right contingent in the House. It is no secret that anti-MAGA sentiments are growing all across the country. Those of us with GOP representatives can tell them that we want them to work for the good of the country to find a healthy bipartisan solution and not to support an extremist faction.
- TWO BIRDS, ONE STONE FOR VIRGINIA ELECTIONWe can help encourage young progressives to vote in Virginia’s upcoming state legislative election and help improve direct-mail get-out-the-vote tactics by participating in Vote Forward’s Labs campaigns. Vote Forward needs volunteers to write letters in three separate campaigns that are testing the efficacy of issue-specific messaging—namely, abortion, climate, and gun violence prevention. These letters will not only urge young Virginians to vote; they’ll help Vote Forward understand how to craft better letter-writing campaigns in advance of the 2024 election. In this all-important election which will determine whether MAGA Republicans have a blank check to impose on our fellow Americans living in Virginia whatever extreme right-wing laws they want, let’s consider signing up to write these experimental issue-letters. Or, if we prefer, we can just write the standard letters that Vote Forward also offers. We can get started here.
- CORPORATE POLLUTERSA new study published in the journal Science, “based on analysis of almost 15,000 publicly traded companies around the world…found that the cost of damage surpassed profits for highly polluting industries, including energy, utilities, transportation, and materials manufacturers.” In other words, their profits come at the cost of our planet’s health and sustainability. Useful to know when we are talking to our political representatives about their continued support of such industries as oil and gas. Let’s contact our MoCs and ask what they are doing about reducing carbon emissions at this level to help our environment.
- HEATHER COX RICHARDSON’S NEW BOOK TOURRogan’s List has long recommended its readers follow and read Heather Cox Richardson’s Substack, Letters from an American, “a newsletter about the history behind today’s politics”, and follow her Facebook page where she does a weekly live session on the intersection of history and current politics, called Politics Chat (archived in YouTube). Richardson’s new book, Democracy Awakening, published last week, is on the New York Times Best Seller List. She is currently on a book tour across the country and tickets are selling out quickly. If we are not able to secure tickets to see Richardson, we can watch her conversation with Meghna Chakrabarti of WBUR here and her conversation with Rebecca Solnit here.
- OH – TODAY IS LAST DAY TO REGISTER FOR UPCOMING ELECTIONToday, Tuesday October 10th, is the deadline for registering to vote in November’s election, where a very important initiative guaranteeing reproductive rights is on the ballot. If we know anyone in Ohio, especially those who have recently turned 18 who haven’t yet registered, let’s make sure to tell them they can register today on-line at this site. To register on-line, people will need to provide a Ohio driver’s license or Ohio identification card number, their name, date of birth, address, and the last four digits of their social security number. People who can’t readily provide that information must fill out a form, available on the site and then bring it to their county board of elections.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.