Keeping democracy, resuming student loan payments, supporting Cherokee representation, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- OUR CHOICE – DEMOCRACY OR AUTHORITARIANISMMore and more we see many conservatives in our country pushing for a more authoritarian government to replace our current democracy. We also see them cozying up to foreign authoritarian leaders. Several conservative organizations are working to dismantle government. The leading GOP presidential candidate and the present GOP reveal fascism traits. Some of our allies are already wondering how they will deal with us if this switch happens. Voting will determine which of these paths our country takes. Ruth Ben-Ghiat, a scholar on fascism and authoritarian leaders, sees this happening and believes that Biden is the leader for our time to ward off the threat of authoritarianism. Let’s make sure we understand this threat and call it out when we see it. Let’s do what we can to help register voters, perhaps with Field Team 6, and to help get out the vote in every election.
- GET INFO ON RESUMING STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENTSFederal student loan payments are restarting. “Student Loan Payments are Back. Are You Ready?” will be a live discussion hosted by the Associated Press with a panel of experts answering our questions about how this affects those of us with student loans. On the panel are Adriana Morga, AP Financial Wellness Reporter; Alfredo Camacho of Young Invincibles; Amy Czulada of the Student Borrowing Protection Center; and Betsy Mayotte of the Institute of Student Loan Advisors. We can submit our questions in advance here and watch the discussion on AP’s Youtube channel on October 2, 2023, at noon ET. We can also consult the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for information on loan forgiveness, reductions in monthly payments, and more.
- END THE EXCEPTION – PASS THE ABOLITION AMENDMENT
With Florida’s attempts to whitewash the history of slavery shocking the country, it is a good opportunity to remember that slavery is not entirely history in the United States. The crime exception in the Thirteenth Amendment continues to give legal protection to involuntary servitude in our prison system. Eliminating it could provide an opening for crucial reforms to extend worker protections to our prison labor system. Members of Congress led by Rep. Nikema Williams (D-GA) and Senators Cory Booker (D-NJ) and Jeff Merkley (D-OR) have proposed the Abolition Amendment (H.J.Res.72) to close this loophole. Let’s use this tool to contact our representatives and tell them to support this effort, and sign up for updates from Worth Rises to stay a part of this fight.
- SUPPORT CHEROKEE REPRESENTATION IN CONGRESS
In 1835, the United States signed a treaty with the Cherokee Nation in which we agreed that they could send a delegate to Congress. This promise has never been kept, and the Cherokee are stepping up their efforts to change that. Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr this month renominated Kim Teehee as the Nation’s delegate to Congress. Let’s take this opportunity to use their tool to contact our members of Congress and urge them to seat the Cherokee Nation’s delegate at last.
- TAX SIMPLIFICATION FOR AMERICANS ABROADFiling U.S. taxes while living abroad can be difficult and confusing. The Tax Simplification for Americans Abroad Act (H.R.5432) has been introduced in the House. The Tax Simplification for Americans Abroad Act will 1) create a simplified tax return form to help make it easier for Americans filing from abroad who owe no U.S. tax, 2) eliminate double taxation for pensions and retirement distributions (including Social Security benefits), scholarships, fellowship grants, disability benefits, childcare expenses, family medical leave, and unemployment benefits, and 3) consolidate the FBAR into FATCA, increase the filing threshold, and eliminate the requirement to report separately to FinCEN. Let’s call our House Reps today and ask them to support this long-overdue bill!
- MO/ALL – RESTORING REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS IN MISSOURI
Even in the face of extraordinary resistance from state Republicans, activists in Missouri are moving forward with their plans to get initiatives on the ballot to restore abortion rights and protect access to birth control in their state. The work starts now to get this effort up for a vote in November 2024. Let’s sign up to volunteer with Abortion Action Missouri to help get signatures, and we can also consider a financial contribution to their efforts if we’re able.
Thanks for reading Rogan’s List ! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.