Home COVID tests, government shutdown, American Climate Corps, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- NO-COST HOME COVID TESTS COMING BACKYesterday, the Biden administration announced that it is going to once again provide COVID home tests at no cost to those who need them. The website from which to order will be open again soon and orders will be able to be placed on Monday. Like before, four free tests will be available to each household. With COVID hospitalizations and deaths increasing as we head into the fall, the administration felt this to be a prudent move. In addition to getting the new COVID vaccine, let’s also order some home tests, just in case we need them. Let’s tell family and friends, too!
- TELL THEM, TODAY AND EVERY DAY: NO GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN!What is at stake if the House GOP refuses to do the job they were elected to do—to govern—and instead they persist in actions that could lead to a government shutdown on September 30? Ukraine would be weakened in its struggle against the Russian invasion. Government workers would be forced to work without pay. FEMA’s disaster relief fund could be depleted. Children could lose access to Head Start programs, and FDA safety inspections would be delayed. And that’s just for starters. It’s time for us to tell our U.S. Representatives, regardless of party, today and every day, that we reject extremist right-wing Republican appropriation demands, and we want House Republicans to work with House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries to pass bills that avert a government shutdown.
- PAID JOB TRAINING WITH THE AMERICAN CLIMATE CORPSThe Biden-Harris administration has announced a new initiative called the American Climate Corps, which will train *and pay* young people “to work on a wide range of projects that tackle climate change – including restoring coastal wetlands to protect communities from storm surges and flooding, deploying clean energy, managing forests to improve health and prevent catastrophic wildfires, implementing energy efficient solutions to cut energy bills for hardworking families, and more.” No prior experience will be required for most positions. All are welcome to apply, especially those from environmental justice communities. Let’s spread the word and encourage the young people in our lives to join the American Climate Corps.
- THE NEGLECT OF THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO COUNSELThe US Constitution guarantees defendants in criminal cases who are too poor to afford a lawyer the right to an attorney. A recent report describes how Mississippi utterly fails to ensure that poor criminal defendants are effectively represented. But the truth is that the constitutional right to counsel is neglected all across the country, leaving poor people accused of crimes to too often be wrongfully convicted and subjected to unjust sentences. David Carroll, executive director of the Sixth Amendment Center, which monitors states and helps them improve their public defense systems, recommends that Congress “establish an entity to promulgate, monitor, and enforce indigent defense standards at the state level” and provide federal funding to help states meet those standards. Let’s tell our Members of Congress that we want legislation passed that will ensure that the constitutional right to effective assistance of counsel is a reality for every poor person facing criminal prosecution in every state in America.
- SOLIDARITY WITH UAW STRIKERS!
The UAW standup strike is set to expand, with president Shawn Fain promising they will add more locations if there isn’t progress in negotiations with the Big Three by noon Friday. The stakes are high – this could be the beginning of a new period of strength for organized labor or stifle their influence. Let’s make sure the corporate bosses know what side we’re on. We can call 1-318-300-1249 and leave a message for the CEOs for Ford, GM and Stellantis to tell them UAW members deserve the same 40% raise they got over the last four years. We can also check this tracker from More Perfect Union to see what our lawmakers have said about the strike, and push those who haven’t spoken up to stand with the union.
- DC – PUT RANKED CHOICE VOTING ON THE BALLOT
The Make All Votes Count initiative, which aims to bring ranked choice voting to Washington, D.C., has cleared an early obstacle with the district’s elections board. Now advocates will need to gather more than 26,000 signatures to get it on the ballot before city voters. Let’s sign up to volunteer to help this crucial reform pass.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.