Join us for our July Pints & Progress
Indivisible Yolo Pints & Progress – July 25 5-7PM
Hey, we’re doing it again — hanging out just to chat with no phone banks, clipboards, or protest signs in sight. Join us for Pints & Progress Tuesday, July 25th from 5-7pm at Bike Dog Brewing in West Sacramento, 2534 Industrial Blvd 110.
Register here and let us know you’re joining us:
In addition to beer, The Baker Family Winery has a tasting bar with wines by the glass and bottle available for purchase.It’s Taco Tuesday and the Thick Vatos and Tacos Food Truck will be on hand. Food is on us…but you’ll need to buy your own beer and/or wine.Come for the politics, stay for the friends! This event is hosted by Janette Vine and the IY leadership team.
Summer Reading – It’s Time to Set the Narrative
Our friends at Indivisible Civics are ramping up to celebrate August 16 as the anniversary of passing the IRA! So what is the Inflation Reduction Act anyway? And why should we care about or want to make others aware of it? Well, for one thing, just fighting MAGA extremism is exhausting — and every once in a while you need a dose of positive news that’s often missing in mass or social media. So, we’re going to be using information from the Powering Progress Public Celebration ToolKit to remind ourselves and our volunteers just what we won by electing a Blue Trifecta in 2020. Whether it’s ushering in a clean energy future, creating millions of good-paying union jobs, or keeping money in the pockets of our hard-working families, the federal government is providing the investments necessary for us to build a better future for generations to come.Creating Millions of Jobs
- Our communities will benefit from nine million jobs being created over the next 10 years (source)
- The Inflation Reduction Act has already created over 142,000 jobs thanks to 191 new clean energy projects in 41 states! (source)
- These jobs are being created across the country and are for everyone.
Keeping Money In Our Pockets
- Homeowners can take advantage of discounts to reduce costs of making their homes more energy efficient.
- Lower prescription drug prices for seniors.
- Every single person who gets their insulin through Medicare will see lower monthly costs, thanks to the $35 cap on monthly insulin costs.
- Seniors on Medicare will save money on certain drugs! (source)
- Health plans will continue to be more affordable for more Americans. (source)
Accelerating Our Clean Energy Future
- Modernizing and weatherizing the electrical grid is one of the biggest projects we’re addressing with the IRA.
- Companies have broken ground on almost 200 new projects that will bring clean energy and new jobs to communities across the country (source)
- The Clean Energy Plan will help the U.S. generate more resilient energy.
And that’s just for starters! It also is helping to level the playing field – more on that next week. The real takeaway is that there’s a lot in the IRA and most of it is unknown to many Americans. We’re fortunate in Yolo County to live in a Blue district –and as we prepare to take our activism out of district to help with elections beyond our local area, it’s important to remind ourselves of all that’s been accomplished. And the campaign will also help us build our own personal stories about how the IRA has helped us or our friends and relatives. Stories we can share with others.
Voter Registration at Modesto Community College Want to fight for Women’s rights, voting rights, and end book bans? Registering voters is the #1 most effective way to do all these things! So join us by signing up on Mobilize and we’ll get volunteer rides organized to register voters at the Modesto Community College on August 29 + 30 … sign up now for one or both days!No experience necessary. We’ll start with a 15-minute training at the staging site and deploy on the campus. We’ll have clipboards, forms, and pens. Just bring your smartphone or tablet if you have one, a mask, a little water, sunscreen, and some comfortable shoes.NOTE: If possible, wear a liberal-looking t-shirt, hat, or pin! It really helps. Bring a friend! Can’t wait to see you there!
CALLS TO ACTIONClosing out its most recent term, the US Supreme Court handed down three dreadful decisions that impacted progressive priorities- dealing a blow to protections for LBGTQ+ rights, affirmative action for college entrance, and student debt cancellation for some 40 million low and middle-income households.
When coupled with the egregious Dobbs decision a year earlier and repeated clear breaches of ethical standards, this court needs a course-correction – and the only viable way is to expand the court by adding four new justices.
Sen. Feinstein and Padilla, and either Rep. Thompson or Rep. Matsui: EXPAND SCOTUS: WE NEED A JUST MAJORITY
Sen. Feinstein: 415-393-0707 (SF) 202-224-3841 (D.C) (email)Sen. Padilla: 916-448–2787 (Sacramento) 202-224-3553 (D.C.) (email)Contact just your own Representative:Rep. Thompson (530) 753-5301 (Woodland) (202) 225-3311 (D.C) (email)Rep. Matsui (916) 498-5600 (Sacramento) (202) 225-7163 (D.C.) (email)
Example call script (your own words are best!):
In order to protect the American people and ensure equal justice under the law, I’m calling on you to support rebalancing the Court by co-sponsoring the Judiciary Act of 2023 (S. 1616 / H.R. 3422). A code of ethics is also necessary, but it is too little and too late to protect us. We need to balance the Court. Thank you.
Write a letter to the editor:
To build support for rebalancing the court, write a letter to the editor! Here’s a quick resource to get you started: https://indivisibleyolo.org/write-a-letter-to-the-editor/
Interested in getting involved in Indivisible Yolo?
- To learn more about joining one of our Indivisible Yolo action teams and to see how you can volunteer to help win elections, fill out this quick interest form so we can connect with you!
- And check out our calendar for upcoming Indivisible Yolo events.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.