Protect Ukrainian refugees, defeat Rep. Lauren Boebert, be better LBGTQ+ allies, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- ENSURING LEGAL STATUS FOR UKRAINIAN REFUGEES
Thousands of Ukrainians are living and working in the U.S. under the Uniting for Ukraine program, which gives them a two-year period of stay. With the war well into its 16th month, many of them are becoming concerned these protections will prove insufficient. A group Congress members led by Rep. Bill Keating (D-MA) has proposed the Ukrainian Adjustment Act to resolve these concerns by giving these refugees permanent refugee status, much as we did for Cubans in the 1960s and Vietnamese, Cambodians and Laotians in the 1970s, and advocates are urging the Biden Administration to announce a re-parole process to extend their current status as soon as possible. Let’s reach out to the White House and tell the administration not to leave these folks in limbo, and to our members of Congress to urge them to back the Ukrainian Adjustment Act by co-sponsoring H.R.3911.
- DEFEATING EXTREMIST GOP REP. LAUREN BOEBERT STARTS NOW“Join the 546 Project and help defeat Lauren Boebert! The CO Democratic Party is launching the 546 Project to create a year-round grassroots organizing and engagement infrastructure targeting Colorado’s 3rd Congressional District. We are engaging over 500 neighborhood leaders to make thousands of phone calls and door knocks starting tonight and continuing each week for the next 17 months. In other words, the 546 Project is how we’re going to defeat Lauren Boebert. To make this happen, we will need a lot of help. One of the best ways to defeat Boebert is by becoming a Project 546 volunteer.” Whether we’re in Colorado or elsewhere, we can join the effort, here.
- TERM LIMITS FOR JUSTICES“The Supreme Court is increasingly disconnected from the will of the American people. Nine unelected officials are handing down decisions on abortion rights, LGBT rights, and gun control that are widely unpopular and are at odds with both precedent and public sentiment. It’s a symptom of a broken system. No one should have this much power for this long.” One partial solution to this problem is to fight for term limits. We can sign a petition started by the Brennan Center for Justice, and also contact our members of Congress on the issue.
- LEARN MORE WAYS TO SUPPORT YOUNG LBGTQ+ PEOPLE IN OUR COMMUNITIES As attacks on LBGTQ+ youth from legislatures and school boards ramp up, we might wonder what more we can do to be more supportive allies. If we are looking to become more informed about the issues these young people are facing and how we can create safe, supportive spaces for them, we can check out Red Wine & Blue’s Ask Me Anything virtualworkshop, where a specialist working with trans, non-binary, and gender-questioning young people and their families will help us understand the pressures they face, what we can do, and how we can we can share this information with our networks. The event is on Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM ET. We can sign up here.
- ON TYRANNYAfter the 2020 presidential election, History Professor Timothy Snyder explained how Trump’s false, dangerous assertion that Trump, not President Biden, had won the election falls into the category of The Big Lie , a form of propaganda used by fascists throughout history to attain power. An expert on autocracy and fascism, Snyder has written a pamphlet called On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century. His readings and discussions of On Tyranny are posted in twenty short videos on YouTube. Topics include “Do Not Obey in Advance,” “Take Responsibility for the Face of the World,” “Be Calm When the Unthinkable Arrives,” and more. On Tyranny was written in 2017 but its relevance endures, especially as we look to the 2024 election. Let’s watch and learn. h/t Teri Kanefield
CORRECTIONS AND UPDATESSen. Rand Paul’s state was wrong in yesterday’s List. Here is the correction. Thanks to our readers for keeping us honest!
- REPUBLICAN HOLDS LEAVE US WITHOUT MIDDLE EAST AMBASSADORS
On top of Republican holds obstructing nominees for the Justice Department and military promotions, Senators J.D. Vance (R-OH) and Rand Paul (R-KY) are also holding up the confirmation of dozens of President Biden’s nominees to be ambassadors. If not relieved by July 16th, the United States will have no ambassadors in Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, the United Arab Emirates or Kuwait. While procedural holds are an informal custom, they are typically honored by Senate leaders as the responses when they are not can eat up significant floor time. Let’s reach out to our senators and let them know we want them to loudly and publicly condemn these foot-dragging tactics and hold these senators accountable for their costs. Let’s also ask them to push for the August recess to be cancelled and be used to move these stalled nominees and judges if these holds are not lifted.
Thanks for reading Rogan’s List ! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.