A Blue Virginia, campaign bootcamp for Democratic women candidates, economic justice for asylum seekers, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- TURN VIRGINIA BLUE AGAIN
With Republican Governor Glenn Youngkin bucking for national attention and every seat in both the currently Republican House of Delegates and currently Democratic Senate up for grabs, this fall’s legislative elections in Virginia could produce huge swings in policy on everything from voting rights to abortion rights to corporate tax rates to book bans to promoting EVs. Let’s do what we can to help. We can volunteer to help Swing Left connect with Virginia voters here, and consider a donation to support nominees in key races here.
- ECONOMIC DIGNITY FOR ASYLUM SEEKERSAsylum seekers are families and individuals who have fled violence in their home countries to seek refuge in the U.S. Even though they have legal protection to be here, they must wait at least six months after applying for asylum before they can get a work authorization and start supporting themselves. This strains state and local resources, as asylum seekers are forced to rely on public assistance, and leaves asylum seekers vulnerable to economic abuse. Meanwhile, the U.S. is facing labor shortages that employed asylum seekers could help alleviate. The House version of the Asylum Seeker Work Authorization Act would, if passed, reduce the work authorization waiting period for asylum seekers to 30 days and eliminate work authorization renewal requirements. Let’s tell our U.S. Representative to co-sponsor H.R.1325. h/t HAIS
- TELL SENATORS TO VOTE NO ON BILL THAT BANS MILITARY SUPPORT FOR SERVICE MEMBERS NEEDING TO TRAVEL FOR ABORTIONSS. 822 would nullify the Department of Defense policy of assuring access to reproductive care and disallow paid leave and coverage of travel expenses for women who need to travel to get the procedure. Let’s tell our Senators to firmly reject this bill and support our service people’s right to make their own reproductive choices.
- SUPPORT CREATION OF THE BAAJ NWAAVJO I’TAH KUKVENI GRAND CANYON NATIONAL MONUMENTEleven Tribes have called on President Biden to permanently protect 1.1 million acres surrounding Grand Canyon National Park, an area comprising their ancestral homelands that has been used for uranium and hard rock mining, resulting in massive contamination of springs and drinking wells. Recently, the Flagstaff City Council both unanimously expressed their approval for the project. Let’s tell the White House to move on this important item.
- EMERGE OFFERS TRAINING FOR WOMEN CANDIDATES IN AUGUST BOOTCAMPIf we, or someone we know, is thinking about running for office, Emerge, which trains and empowers Democratic women to run for office, has a training opportunity for us. In their Emerge Southern Regional Candidate Boot Camp, held August 19-27, we can learn how to run a campaign, strategize, build a successful team and raise funds. We’ll also join a powerful alumni network and work for change together. While applications from Southern states will be prioritized, Emerge is also accepting applications from all over the country, so if we’re interested, we should apply. Emerge has trained over 5,500 women to fight for LGBTQ+ rights, women’s rights, and a just society for all of us. Together, we can help them train the next generation of women leaders. We can find out more about the Emerge Southern Regional Candidate Boot Camp here, and apply if we like. We can also reach out to likely candidates and share this with our friends on social media. Applications are due on Friday, July 14th, so the time to apply is now!
AND FINALLY, SOME GOOD NEWS
- LAST WEEK’S WINS
The battle for progress is long and wearing, making it all the more important to acknowledge and celebrate the wins when they happen. Here’s a summary of some of the best news from the last week from our stalwart ally Jessica Cravenat Chop Wood, Carry Water.
Thanks for reading Rogan’s List!
Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.