April 24, 2023
Let trans kids play, make environmental justice the rule, keep killer police off the beat, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- NATIONAL SPORTS BAN FOR TRANSGENDER GIRLS PASSES HOUSEHR734, which forbids the participation of transgender girls in sports on girls’ teams, passed in the House last week along party lines. This terrible overreach creates an outsized negative impact on the very small number of transgender student athletes and “others” them, which is the opposite of the purpose of school athletics. Let’s contact our Senators to make sure they hear clearly that we are deeply opposed to this law.
- SUPPORT ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
Earth Day 2023 might be over, but the work goes on. Congressional Democrats have introduced the A. Donald McEachin Environmental Justice for All Act, which, if it passes, will address the disproportionate burden of toxins and pollutants on communities of color, low income communities, and indigenous communities across the country. Let’s ask our Senators to co-sponsor S.919, and our Representative to co-sponsor H.R.1705.
- THE OFFICER WHO KILLED BREONNA TAYLOR IS BACK ON THE BEAT
Over the weekend, news broke that the former Louisville police officer who fatally shot Breonna Taylor has been rehired in law enforcement. Myles Cosgrove, who was fired for violating department use of force procedures and failing to use his body camera but was not criminally charged, has been hired by the sheriff’s department in Carroll County, about an hour northeast of Louisville. Protests in the county against giving Breonna’s killer authority again are scheduled to begin today. Let’s add our voices by contacting Carroll County Sheriff Ryan Gosser at (502) 732-7010 or firstname.lastname@example.org and telling him Cosgrove should be terminated immediately.
- ELECTION STRATEGY BRIEFING TOMORROW
Field Team 6, an organization that registers Democrats to vote, is holding a strategy briefing TOMORROW at 5PM Eastern that looks at the unexpectedly decent results of the 2022 midterms. Hosting the briefing will be Brian Tyler Cohen of the progressive podcast No Lie. Let’s sign up for this virtual event here.
- LAST CHANCE TO STAND UP AGAINST HOUSING DISCRIMINATION
The Biden Housing and Urban Development Department has proposed a new rule that will finally put some teeth in the Fair Housing Act, requiring communities to actively craft and follow through on strategies to stop housing discrimination or risk losing federal funds. The public comment period on this rule ends TODAY. Let’s submit comments and show our support, and sign this petition from the Alliance for Housing Justice encouraging HUD to ensure strong protections for renters in this rule. We can find a guide to creating a good comment here.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.