Fossil-free finance, the GOP and the hungry, Florida abortion ban, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- SUPPORT FOSSIL-FREE FINANCE IN CONGRESS
In recent months, activists have been making a hard push for climate action from the financial industry, urging the big banks to divest from fossil fuels. To support this effort, Senator Ed Markey and Reps. Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib have reintroduced their Fossil Free Finance Act, which would require financial institutions to submit and implement a plan to sharply reduce financial emissions, stop financing new or expanded fossil fuel projects within two months and stop financing old fossil fuel projects by the end of the decade. Let’s join the Climate Hawks and ask our elected officials to co-sponsor this legislation.
- SPEAK OUT AGAINST HOUSE GOP’S PROPOSAL TO CUT FOOD AIDAs Speaker Kevin McCarthy and the GOP-led House struggle to maintain their position on the debt ceiling fight after being forced to promise not to cut Medicare and Social Security, they are now focusing their attention on the poorest and most vulnerable Americans, those in need of assistance to feed themselves. Let’s tell our MoCs that under no circumstance will we support cutting food for those who need it! And we should be sure to remind those who come from the evangelical right wing of the Biblical imperative to feed the poor.
- SUPPORT FLORIDA AGAINST DESANTIS’ ABORTION BAN
Even as one of his state’s major cities remained flooded, Governor Ron DeSantis left the campaign trail to return to Florida solely to sign a six-week abortion ban into law on Thursday evening. If it survives the legal challenges to come, this would be an effective ban on abortion in one of the last bastions of access in the Southeast, and would leave exceptions for rape and incest only to those who are able to provide “proof” such as a police report. If we are able, let’s show solidarity by splitting a donation to the six major Florida abortion funds, and let’s spread the word to those we know who live near Gainesville about an organizing bootcamp hosted by People Power for Florida this coming Sunday to help folks fight back.
- DISABILITY RIGHTS/MARRIAGE EQUALITY: While we have made progress in the U.S. towards marriage equality, we have yet to protect this right for our disabled community. Outdated rules and financial limits for those on Supplemental Security Income (SSI), as well as extra costs associated with the “crip tax”, put disabled adults in the position of either marrying the person of their choosing, or keeping benefits that help them access critical necessities like food and housing. Let’s read this fact sheet about the SSI program, then let’s ask our senators to reintroduce and co-sponsor the bipartisan SSI Savings Penalty Elimination Act. We can call our senators directly, or use this form email from The Arc, a disability rights organization.
- LEARN: SOLVING PUBLIC PROBLEMS: The Governance Lab at the Burnes Center for Social Change at Northeastern University offers courses and trainings to learn how to use technology, data, and community collaboration to solve contemporary problems. Let’s start by taking a look at the topics covered in the Solving Public Problems course, and if it looks engaging to us, let’s sign up.
- ALL: BUILD PROGRESSIVE CANDIDATES: Hyper-local political offices like school board and city council are important in themselves and can serve as pipelines to higher office. Since 2017, Run For Something has been recruiting young progressives to run for local elections across the country and helping them win their campaigns, even in very red states. Let’s use this tool to find candidates running in 2023 in our states and support their campaigns.
Thanks for reading Rogan’s List ! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.