Actions on gun violence, ERA, railway safety, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- COMMENT ON REGULATION CHANGES FOR SUBOXONE ENDS TOMORROWSuboxone (Buprenorphine), one of the main drugs for treating opioid addiction, is under scrutiny by the DEA. The DEA wants to require people who are prescribed suboxone via telehealth to have to have an in-person visit with a provider within 30 days. That’s rolling back a flexibility put in place during the pandemic that has actually made it easier for people to get treatment for opioid use disorder . . . it IS too hard for a lot of people – especially those in rural America and the very addicts that suboxone treats (who often lack financial resources, transportation, and are on very thin emotional ice). “The additional 30-day-in-person requirement provides no benefit. Because all of the prescribers already require drug tests and screening, the additional hurdle of an in-person visit is just that. A hurdle. Except this one will kill people.” Let’s comment here. Comment period ends tomorrow. (H/T)
- GUN VIOLENCE, WHILE CONGRESS TARRIESPassing anti-gun violence legislation through Congress feels all but impossible, but that’s no reason to give up. State legislatures offer some hope. We can promote gun safety laws by 1) working to elect Democratic governors and Democratic-majority state legislatures, and 2) joining forces with gun owners who favor responsible gun regulations and policies. Let’s sign up with these groups and get involved:
- SUPPORT THE EQUAL RIGHTS AMENDMENT CAUCUS
On Tuesday, members of the House launched the Congressional Caucus for the Equal Rights Amendment, a coalition of lawmakers which will work to affirm the ERA as the 28th Amendment to the Constitution. While the required number of states have ratified the amendment, they did not do so until after the deadline originally set by Congress. Let’s contact our members of Congress and tell them we support this caucus’ goals, and urge them to join or to follow their leadership on the ERA.
- HOLD KEVIN MCCARTHY ACCOUNTABLE FOR REFUSING TO TALK ABOUT NASHVILLEDespite his high level role as Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy refuses to say anything about the Nashville shooting, much less bring forth any legislation that might curb gun violence, first stating that he must see all the facts, and then later telling reporters, “Okay, let me just tell you, I’m not going to answer any questions. You can walk with me; we can talk about new movies, we can talk about your lives, we can talk about what you’re doing for Easter. Anything else” Let’s tell Speaker McCarthy that this is NOT ACCEPTABLE, and that Congress must, at minimum, reinstate a ban on assault weapons. If we are parents with children in schools, let’s make our pleas personal and heartfelt.
- URGENT NEED FOR BETTER RAILWAY SAFETYWith yet another train derailment yesterday, this time in Minnesota, it is clear that our country needs upgrades in railway safety. S.576 – The Railway Safety Act of 2023, was introduced in the Senate following the East Palestine, OH train derailment in February, but still has only five co-sponsors. The corresponding House bill, H.R.1238 – Decreasing Emergency Railroad Accident Instances Locally Act, only has 28. Even some conservatives on board for this needed legislation. Let’s contact our MoCs and tell them we want this legislation passed to ensure better safety for our railways and communities.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.