Who’ll be hurt by the GOP packed Supreme Court blocking student debt relief? Check this map.
“Over half of the House GOP and nearly all Senate Republicans signed briefs urging the Supreme Court to block Biden’s student-loan forgiveness.” – BusinessInsider
Republicans are fine with tax cuts for billionaires, but block debt relief for struggling students! Perhaps struggling students should match billionaire donations to the GOP in order to get student debt relief approved?
“Republicans actually love welfare ― as long as it favors them. They enjoyed four years of handouts under Trump and never complained. Hell, why would they? They were winning. “I don’t hear any of these Republicans squawking when we give massive tax breaks to billionaires. Suddenly when we do something for working people, it is a terrible idea.” said Bernie Sanders.
Check this map to see who’ll suffer from the GOP packed Supreme Court blocking President Biden’s plan to provide blocking Student Debt Relief.
– How many students are there in each state struggling with loans?
– What is the total amount of the loan?
– What is the average amount of the loan amount per student?
– How many students are under 24? How many are over 62?
Mapping need for Student Debt Relief
Share this map freely with this link or as a GIF
President Biden’s Student Debt
President Biden is fighting for relief for tens of millions of working and middle class American borrowers.
– The student debt relief program will provide critical relief to over 40 million borrowers most at risk of delinquency or default when the student loan pause ends.
– These are working and middle class borrowers – 90% of the relief going to out-of-school borrowers will go to those earning less than $75,000 per year.
– 26 million people applied or were deemed automatically eligible for relief. And 16 million of those people whose applications were fully approved could be experiencing debt relief right now if it weren’t for meritless lawsuits waged by opponents of this program.
GOP packs courts to push unpopular decisions
In seeking to overturn limited debt relief, the Republican brief also cites the “major questions” doctrine and that the decision to cancel a limited share of overall student loan debt is “undoubtedly a matter of economic and political significance.” The right-wing court, led by Chief Justice John Roberts, and supporters of former President Donald Trump’s failed coup, such as Justices Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas, questioned the legality of Biden’s order, citing the “major questions doctrine.” – WSWS
The dubious legal doctrine posits that the courts can strike down any federal policy that presents a “major question” Congress might not have considered when enacting legislation. The major questions doctrine has been used by the right-wing court in the recent period to
– Strike down the Centers for Disease Control
– Prevention’s (CDC) eviction moratorium
– Obama-era Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rules concerning power plants
– Requirement from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) that large corporations institute either COVID-19 vaccine mandates or a testing program at workplaces – WSWS
GOP Packed courts deliver for billionaires
Why do Republicans oppose Student Debt Relief?
“Are you wondering why many Republicans are upset that President Joe Biden just canceled up to $20,000 in student loan debt for those who desperately need it? Well, you might be forgetting one of the major tenets of white supremacy.
Cruelty. There is a collective camaraderie from those on the right in the suffering of those on the other side. For those Republicans who’ve been complaining, they understand the objective isn’t just to win, it’s to ensure that all other races lose… It’s why Reps. Majorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) and Matt Gaetz (Fla.) couldn’t see the hypocrisy in the white tears they shed after learning that people who make less than $75,000 a year were going to receive some financial relief.
It’s not so much that they win, it’s also that you lose. It’s why a majority of white voters voted against their own self-interest. It’s why white women who have had abortions don’t want other women to have access to them… it pains them to know that someone other than themselves might be receiving help.” – Stephen A. Crockett Jr.
TakeAway: Tell you Republican rep to support student debt relief just like they support tax cuts for billionaires.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
How will the GOP plan to repeal ACA and slash Medicare affect you? Check this map.
Murdaugh Murders Map
How fascists rig elections
How is LAW & ORDER in your state?
Why hasn’t Ohio train derailment been declared a disaster? Follow the money.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.