February 20, 2023
Send your best to President Carter, confirm Biden’s FCC nominee, demand action for gun sense, and more!
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- PRESIDENT CARTER ON HOSPICE CAREOver the weekend it was announced that President Jimmy Carter, age 98, has chosen to go home on hospice care. As the 39th president and 2002 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, Carter has lived a life of humility and service. Let’s add our thoughts to President Carter and his family: https://cartercenter.kudoboard.com/boards/wellwishes.
- CONFIRM GIGI SOHN TO THE FCCRepublicans and industry groups continue to push back against Biden Federal Communications Commission nominee Gigi Sohn, likely due to her advocacy for net neutrality. Let’s tell our senators to support Sohn’s confirmation and bring her nomination to the floor for a vote.
- HONOR SHANNON WATTS
“Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action, announced [in January] that she plans to step away from leadership at the organization she started in 2012, the day after the Sandy Hook shootings left 20 children and six adults dead.” We can read an interview with her as she reflects on the way forward and honor her work by signing up as a Moms Demand volunteer.
- TELL THE TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT TO KEEP US SAFE
People are suffering from headaches, rashes, and other effects after Norfolk Southern was permitted to “burn off” the toxic chemicals in its derailed train for fear of a catastrophic explosion in East Palestine, Ohio; dead fish and frogs are appearing in nearby waters, while officials continue to claim the tap water is safe to drink (but not the well water); reports from towns downwind of the derailment raise questions about the water in other places and now it has come to light that the weight of this two-mile long train was questioned before it even reached Ohio. The union representing railroad workers points out that in addition to strenuously lobbying against any weight or length regulation, rail companies have halved train inspection times and replaced human inspectors with technology. We should let the Department of Transportation (US Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave, SE, Washington, DC 20590, (202) 366-4000) know we expect them to ensure that the trains and their cargo that travel through our cities and towns are safe. (And let’s also check out this list of opportunities to directly support folks in East Palestine from More Perfect Union).
- PROTECT ELECTIONS AND ESSENTIAL RIGHTS AT THE STATE LEVELFrom protecting abortion rights to assuring a fair presidential election process, state legislatures have a crucial role to play in our democracy. The States Project has created giving circles to help flip and preserve Democratic majorities in state legislatures. We can learn more on the website and from watching this 2-minute video. Let’s consider joining this important effort by donating at statesproject.org. (h/t Robert B. Hubbell)
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.