Stop housing discrimination, #StopCopCity, stop conservative judges in Wisconsin and more! #JusticeIsLove
Contact all members of Congress:
- By phone: (202) 224-3121
- By email: democracy.io
- By US mail: Representatives / Senators
- By fax: Representatives / Senators
- By Resistbot: Resist.bot
Contact White House or other federal agencies:
- STAND UP AGAINST HOUSING DISCRIMINATION
The Biden Housing and Urban Development Department has proposed a new rule that will finally put some teeth in the Fair Housing Act, requiring communities to actively craft and follow through on strategies to stop housing discrimination or risk losing federal funds. HUD is seeking public comment on the rule before April 10th. Let’s submit comments and show our support.
- #STOPCOPCITYIn the wake of the police killing of protestor Manuel “Tortugita” Teran, many of us have been on the look-out for ways to help stop “Cop City,” an unpopular proposal to build a massive police training facility in a forested area near Atlanta. We can learn more from news coverage by ABC and this op-ed in Teen Vogue about the plan, which could become a blueprint for police departments nationwide. Then we can take action, by 1) using this tool built by Gen Z for Change to ask funders, contractors working on the project and local officials to pull their support; 2) donating to the Atlanta Solidarity Fund, which is helping provide legal support for forest defenders being targeted by the criminal justice system; 3) signing this petition to local universities calling on them to end financial support for Cop City and the Atlanta Police Foundation (h/t Jessica Craven) and 4) contacting our members of Congress and asking them to join Senator Ed Markey and Reps. Cori Bush and Rashida Tlaib in calling for an independent investigation into the shooting of Tortugita.
- FLIP A SEAT IN THE WISCONSIN SUPREME COURT
The nonpartisan primary for a Wisconsin Supreme Court seat is February 21st, with early voting already underway. This primary will determine which candidates will proceed to the general election in April, and presents an opportunity to flip the court to a progressive majority. From voting rights to fair maps to reproductive rights, it is expected that Wisconsin’s Supreme Court will play a critical role in maintaining and expanding the rights of its residents. Many groups are getting involved in getting out the vote in Wisconsin. Let’s join phone banks with Swing Left, the Swing Blue Alliance, Grassroots Democrats or the Wisconsin Democratic Party or write postcards with Indivisible Marin or Activate America and help win this race!
- PROTECT HAITIAN REFUGEES
Gang-related violence in Haiti continues to grow unabated, along with a cholera epidemic and instability in the government. Refugees are fleeing the country in large numbers, and the United Nations has asked governments to consider halting deportations as conditions worsen. Let’s contact the White House and tell them we agree Haitian refugees should be allowed to remain in the country until the situation improves.
- JOIN THE FIGHT FOR RANKED-CHOICE VOTING
With Rep. Mary Peltola’s victory in Alaska, ranked-choice voting had its most prominent showcase yet, and legislators nationwide are responding. Bills have been introduced in 14 states to expand the use of the fair vote, and two localities will vote on whether to adopt it on March 7th. Let’s contact our state legislators and encourage them to support pro-RCV bills in our states, and we can also sign up to volunteer with the California RCV Coalition to help the fair vote win in Redondo Beach here.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.