Tell Your State Senator – “No” to LaSalle
New York is about to get a new Chief Judge. For the next 14 years, this judge will lead the Court of Appeals—New York’s highest court—and the entire state court system.
Late last week, Governor Hochul nominated Justice Hector LaSalle for Chief Judge. Justice LaSalle’s deeply conservative judicial record includes decisions that are anti-abortion, anti-union, and anti-due process. If confirmed, he will likely continue the rightward bent of the current Court. For more information on LaSalle’s record, see pages 12-14 of this factsheet. Here’s where things stand:
- 10 Democratic senators have publilcy announced opposition.
- A number of powerful unions have declared public opposition: 32BJ, CWA, UAW, and the Carpenters Union. And the NYS AFL-CIO has said LaSalle’s record is “disturbing.”
- Reproductive rights organizations are beginning to come out in public opposition.
- Dozens of other elected officials and organizations – including Indivisible Westchester – have put out statements of opposition. See here for a full running list.
Please join us in this fight to publicly and privately pressure state senators – specifically the Westchester delegation – to announce their opposition to LaSalle immediately by taking the following actions today.
- Use and share this tool to call, email, and tweet at senators with a few clicks. (If you prefer to call/email/tweet at them directly, this document lists phone numbers and Twitter handles, and email addresses are listed at nysenate.gov.)
- To help you share it by email and on social media – you can use this sample post: “The NYS Senate must reject LaSalle’s nomination for Chief Judge! I call on my senator, @[ADD THEIR HANDLE], to oppose the nomination and make sure LaSalle is not confirmed. Join me in reaching out to senators today: p2a.co/pf9ft4o“
We know it’s the end of the year, and a busy holiday season, but taking a few minutes to take action will have a lasting impact.
Town Hall Recap
If you missed our Year End Town Hall with Rep. Mondaire Jones before he leaves office, you can watch a recap of the event here.
Have a Happy New Year
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.