Suspend the debt ceiling, more Biden judges, January 6th events and more!
Greetings! After a two-year hiatus, Rogan’s List is back! Following the 2022 election, we felt we needed to get back in the game and help keep this democracy going in the right direction.
Beginning January 2nd, we will be providing five or so actions a day, Monday through Friday. Each action will give a little detail of the issue, a link to a reputable source with more explanation, and a specific action to take – including links to make it easy. Today’s is a sample of the new Rogan’s List.
Enjoy the holidays! See you in the new year!
Rogan’s List Team
DEMAND AN END TO THE DEBT CEILING “HOSTAGE CRISIS”
With the GOP back in control of the House, we are likely to see more threats to force an economically catastrophic default on the national debt if they don’t get their way. Republicans have already indicated they’ll use the need to raise the debt ceiling as leverage to demand cuts to crucial programs and even Social Security. With Democrats controlling Capitol Hill for a few more weeks, let’s call on our members of Congress to eliminate the debt ceiling and put a stop to these “hostage crisis” tactics for good.
- PUSH FOR PAID SICK DAYS FOR RAILROAD WORKERSPresident Biden recently signed into law legislation to block a national railroad strike, which while avoiding a serious blow to our economy and secured railroad workers a 24% raise also left them without paid sick days. While Republicans have the votes in Congress to stop us from securing sick leave for the railroad unions, the President has the power to make it happen with executive action. More than 70 Democratic members of Congress have called on the White House to require the railroads to provide sick leave to their employees as federal contractors. Let’s stand with the workers and tell President Biden we want him to issue this executive order.
- SPEED UP JUDICIAL CONFIRMATIONS BY ELIMINATING BLUE SLIPSOne of the biggest benefits of keeping control of the U.S. Senate is Democrats’ continued ability to put judges on the federal bench. Unfortunately, Democrats have allowed an old-fashioned tradition called “blue slips,” in which the Senate Judiciary Committee only sends judicial nominations for a full Senate vote if both senators from their state agree, to stop them from filling multiple vacancies. Under Trump, Republicans scrapped this obstacle for circuit court judges, but maintained it for the district courts, and Democrats have done the same under Biden. As a result, 36 judgeships in states with two Republican senators have gone unfilled. Let’s contact our senators and tell them to put an end to this arcane practice and fill ALL judicial vacancies as fast as possible.
- ADVOCATE FOR MATERNAL MENTAL HEALTH CARESuicide and substance abuse are the leading causes of maternal mortality, and 1 in 5 women suffer from maternal mental health conditions. Before Congress adjourns for the year, let’s tell our Senators and Representative to pass these bills. We can contact them directly or use this tool from Moms Rising Together.
- Into the Light for Maternal Mental Health and Substance Abuse Disorders Act (S.3824) (state funding for maternal mental health programs and a dedicated 24/7 hotline)
- TRIUMPH for New Moms Act (H.R.4217) (better-coordinated maternal mental health efforts)
- Moms Matter Act (H.R.909) (prevention, intervention, treatment; grow the maternal mental health workforce)
- Black Maternal Health Momnibus (H.R.959) (investments in community-based programs, mental health workforce diversity, expand treatments and supports)
MOBILIZE FOR ACTION ON JANUARY 6TH
With the second anniversary of the insurrection coming up, our democracy remains under threat – from coup plotters having not yet been held accountable, reactionaries who continue to push laws that limit our right to vote and allow them to hijack our elections, and now from a Republican House that’s threatening to undermine the work of the January 6th Committee. A coalition of pro-democracy groups is preparing to launch the next phase of the fight with a national day of action to mark January 6th. Let’s check out their website and find an event we can attend, or get in touch with the coalition to host our own.
- Virginia — Special Elections, January 10, 2023
- VA House of Delegates District 35. This seat opened up when Mark Keam (D) resigned in September for a job at the US Department of Commerce. Let’s keep this seat BLUE! Holly Seibold (D) is running against Monique Baroudi (R). Voting info here.
- VA State Senate District 7. This seat opened up after Jennifer Kiggans (R) resigned in November to serve in Congress. Let’s flip this seat BLUE! Aaron Rouse (D) is running against Kevin Adams (R). Let’s join Postcards to Voters and help get his supporters to the polls. Voting info here.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.